Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2016, 21:24   #1

38 Ft Catamaran hull & interior for cheap? Bankrupt manufacturer

HI i want to share this with you all. i am an ex boat builder / marine engineer now retired. I have an opportunity to buy a set of international design cat sailing and motor 38 moulds complete with interior modules late 2010 model. Factory just closed. The small team of labourers who use to work there and build them wanting to build more as they are now unemployed. Guys are quality and rates are cheap due to local currency 10 to 1 US$.

The plan here guys is for us all to get a boat at low low cost each. For example the mould cost 12K US. Factory rent in place 1200 a Month. The guys were on 1000 US a Month each when working for the factory, 4 guys. A complete hull a Month.

The local governement is in favour and supportive. The boat building export autority would ensure boat is built to standard and completed so payment is secure and insured.

I'm open to ideas here guys, lets form an interested group to discuss. I am getting a bare cost for materials per boat from the previous factory manager.

This could work out to 20K US for a complete 38 late model cat hull, full interior mouldings in place All in solid GRP so No interior building required.
Cheers All
Tony
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 22:26   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: 38 Ft Catamaran hull & interior

I have to admit that I'm curious to hear more. Albeit, I'm more than a little too tired to come up with anywhere near a complete list of the key questions to ask you.

Though I'll start with an obvious one. How can you build a cat that big, & have it be anywhere near light enough, without using any cores?
And what kind of blueprints & designer/engineering support is available?

Plus, where else have you posted this, & what kind of feedback have you gotten? Also, I'd Love it, if you could PM me with much more in the way of specifics & details.

Thanks

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 07:43   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

add me to your interested list.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 07:59   #4

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton View Post
HI i want to share this with you all. i am an ex boat builder / marine engineer now retired. I have an opportunity to buy a set of international design cat sailing and motor 38 moulds complete with interior modules late 2010 model. Factory just closed. The small team of labourers who use to work there and build them wanting to build more as they are now unemployed. Guys are quality and rates are cheap due to local currency 10 to 1 US$.

The plan here guys is for us all to get a boat at low low cost each. For example the mould cost 12K US. Factory rent in place 1200 a Month. The guys were on 1000 US a Month each when working for the factory, 4 guys. A complete hull a Month.

The local governement is in favour and supportive. The boat building export autority would ensure boat is built to standard and completed so payment is secure and insured.

I'm open to ideas here guys, lets form an interested group to discuss. I am getting a bare cost for materials per boat from the previous factory manager.

This could work out to 20K US for a complete 38 late model cat hull, full interior mouldings in place All in solid GRP so No interior building required.
Cheers All
Tony
20K per hull complete sounds overly ambitious. That's just one of many input costs. Add in outfitting and the price becomes much larger. Is a complete boat still cost effective?

How many hulls can you pull from that mold? What is the provenance of this cat? Has it won races? Circumnavigated?

How many boats per year do you need to sell to remain viable? What supplier agreements are in place? How much cost and effort will marketing cost? Do you have resellers in key markets?

Kit boats and cars have a history of not being viable businesses. Kit builders never want to pay much.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 09:29   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Designer? displacement? Payload?
Old 14-03-2016, 12:59   #6

Way back I looked into building. I also have build a couple of dingys.

From numerous sources, the hull is the fast part and only a small part of the cost. It's fitting out where the dollars and hours get eaten up.

Good luck to you but if it were that easy, new boats wouldn't cost nearly as much.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 20:16   #7

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞

So, the factory closed but manpower is available. What about oversight of labor, cost accounting and decision making for the little day to day details?

It would sound more interesting if there was a prototype built under regular and documented conditions. A boat that was built and fitted; where issues are dealt with and reviewable in a detailed log; that would show viability.

BTW, why did the factory close?
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 20:28   #8

Boat: Ohlson 29

No facts, vague story, deal sounds to good to be true (if read fast enough).

Hmm, I've seen those things mentioned as a red flag somewhere ...
Old 18-03-2016, 18:45   #9

Hi all cat hull is a schionning wilderness. Not kit, one piece mould GRP hull and deck, all interior mould in place smooth gel coat finish so no interior build required . 25K US . My invested interest is to get the guys to build one hull for me. So do i throw the molds in the dump when im done , i think that would be a waste to all the owner builders on a tight budget like myself. Sorry for not answering all Qs hope this makesis clearer. Im building for weekend island use in Australia outbord version.
Cheers
Tony
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 19:18   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post

I'm thinking you struck the nail firmly on the head.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 02:43   #11

Boat: Passport 42

Sounds too good to be true.....

Details would be nice:

Where would these hulls be built?
What is included?
What guarantees are supplied?
What did the factory make before going bust, why did they go bust.

Currently there are a number of hulls available in my region for reasonably good prices, however that appears to me to be the cheap part, and when you add all the the bits, one can get close to buying something that is already completed

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ozzieKochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 04:22   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 38 Ft Catamaran hull & interior

Well this is a 1030 hull.. and the 1120.. seems like 25K would be a good deal for a Wharram type wanna build my own thing person.
Start basic with an outboard as a powercat.. the rig and sails could be Wharram style lashed rig, sleeved main on tubed mast with the boomless gull wing sail.. then build up the interior and gadgets as one chooses..
Most off the shelf boats have much more elecs and systems than I personally want or need.
Too old to want to waste my time on projects such as this and my hands and skin are to abused from years of epoxy/AF and other chemicals but.. for someone 30 odd years younger it could prove an economical way to a nice boat over time.
If you've tied up the deal mate.. reckon chuck out some more info and with luck you'll get some bites..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wild1030sunnysideoncroppedhalfsail20.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	121041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscn01040.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	121042  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 15:59   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton View Post
Hi all cat hull is a schionning wilderness. Not kit, one piece mould GRP hull and deck, all interior mould in place smooth gel coat finish so no interior build required . 25K US . My invested interest is to get the guys to build one hull for me. So do i throw the molds in the dump when im done , i think that would be a waste to all the owner builders on a tight budget like myself. Sorry for not answering all Qs hope this makesis clearer. Im building for weekend island use in Australia outbord version.
Cheers
Tony
Have you talked to Schionning about his licensing fees?
bluebox3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:38   #14

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebox3000 View Post
Have you talked to Schionning about his licensing fees?
That was my first thought as well. OP doesn't mention the build location but $1000 pcm for labour seems awfully cheap. Thailand maybe? Having said that, I'd probably be in if it goes ahead, have been looking for a good hull for a while, even considered building a plywood CSC30 (see http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/cheapcat.html) or a Hartley Sparkle (see http://www.hartley-boats.com/lively28.html).

Bucks for moulding yachts also have a finite life so we'd need to know how many more the current one would support.

There's a guy near the Gold Coast, QLD who has a set of 45'er moulds for $3900 which I spotted recently on Gumtree but that's a bit too big for my needs.

45 ft Catamaran boat mold | Boat Accessories & Parts | Gumtree Australia Gold Coast North - Steiglitz | 1049565310

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:48   #15

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post

Yeah, it all reminds me a bit of the guys at school who used to scam other students by telling them about some mythical ex-military 42WLA Harley Davidson they could get cheap that had never been used. Of course the obvious schoolboy error they made was that we were only asking for money for a share, with no thought about the fact that anyone contributing would actually want to own it, not help pay for someone else to do so.

But this thread sounds sensible enough, let's see where it goes.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, hull, interior, cheap