Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2016, 13:13   #106

Boat: Lagoon 440 - Agape'
Re: 38' cat OK to circumnavigate?

I've found the quickest way (and easiest) to retrieve a drogue is to attach a relativelylight weight line to the aft end of the drogue. By pulling on that line, you will collapse the drogue and, therefore, most of the resistance to retrieving it.
Kaptain Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 13:49   #107

Boat: Conser 47

Going walk about

You will definitely need a winch to retrieve your drogue. On several occasions I have used warps (long lines) with knots and snubbers tied in to reduce speeds and gain control. I have carried a 5' drogue and an 18' parachute anchor but have never used either. The long lines have allowed me greater adjustability and had tremendous strain that I didn't expect. I could never pull them in by hand. If you set them properly they will help your auto pilot as well. You will generally use them running with the wind and waves. Too much drag increases the chance of being pooped by a following wave.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
RunawayC47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 17:21   #108

We are very happy with our Lagoon 380, cruised the Med, Carib, and since a few years the canadian north atlantic (with heavier custom made Doyle sails). Never had a situation we could not handle with 3 reef, storm jip or finally with drogue. Anyway after living on the boat since 2012 we are going to sell it in Canada, ready to go back to the Carib via Intercostal or Bermuda. Find more infos about this private boat (flying German flag) here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rd-152015.html
Lagoon380 is offline   Reply With Quote