Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2017, 09:31   #16

Re: 36' vs. 40' vs 43'

This page is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks Again!
Barbar0ssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 09:46   #17

Also, recognize that the asking prices for catamaran listings are often fantasies. The actual final sale prices are sometimes much, much lower than what you're seeing online.
btw- the current design move towards "Condomarans" is driving down the price of some very nice older cats, like the Prout cats, which are a bit smaller per foot LOA, owing to lower freeboards and smaller beams, but extremely well built, and actually very good boats.
PHRF57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 09:48   #18

Boat: '66 Bristol 39

Hi, my intention is not be a wanker, but, if your going to take a family out sailing voyaging I think you need to back up a bit. Start taking sailong courses, read a crap load of books my be buy a smaller cat at 30 ft. Learn to day sail and do weekenders. Intially stick to closed water sailing until you get your skills up. While you do this you will learn about boats, meet other boaters and find what requirements your famy can live with. Please do dont buy a big ass boat load your family on it and take off for six months, you could be putting your whole family in danger, take baby steps. Heck you find out half your family gets sick or freak out at the first time it.v. gets rough and wants nothing to do with sailing. This storied happen all the time. actually once you get some skills rent or chartering is a good idea also before you buy. Good luck.
rpjn59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 09:51   #19

I think you can do 6 months with 37-38 ft fine with family. Assuming some are kids and can share a double berth. Cats usually have 4 double state rooms, a huge salon and huge cockpit. We had 16 people for thanksgiving in the cockpit on our 42 once while cruising. The cat will allow personalities to separate themselves and allow people to walk around the boat. It will also carry the weght far better than the mono. At least my 42 cat did far better than my 47 mono.
However, you don't say what a "large family " is. I assume 6-8 some being children.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 10:47   #20

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Get in a car, or in your case a bus, with the whole family and go look at a 40 footer together. Your goals will change in minutes.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 10:57   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Get in a car, or in your case a bus, with the whole family and go look at a 40 footer together. Your goals will change in minutes.
This is great advice, before you start investigating too deeply and worrying about details, go do this. You will come away far better ready to deal with what you need.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote