Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-06-2015, 07:46   #31
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: 35ft Catamaran, galley up or down

Another vote for galley up, and no problem for under 40'cats. Both ours have been under 40' galley up and we wouldn't have it any other way. We are full time aboard and making passages so it might be different for other conditions, such as living at the dock or primarily entertaining large groups for day sails etc. From the points mentioned above our main reasoning is

The saloon has the most space and we would sit at the saloon table for maximum of 2 minutes a day. The rest is in the cockpit, bed, galley, off the boat etc.

Underway I like to keep constant watch. If on watch I time my visits below very quickly to get back on deck. Galley up allows us to maintain watch while cooking or making a cuppa.

Much less prone to seasickness and less movement. I get seasick after a few minutes below unless laying down in poor conditions.

Access is much better. Often Jen is cooking or preparing when we have guests and there's no interruption to conversation. Also underway we are in sight of each other and can talk between the galley and helm.

Some designs don't really lend themselves to a galley up version, such as the Seawind 1000, but some smaller cats have options for both. I think the wildcat 350 looks like a well designed galley up, big enough for a couple with kids or occasional guests.
I think pre-bridgedeck cats that only had galley down as an option have flowed on to it becoming an option, but less and less modern cats are being designed with galley down, although it can be a good option for charter orientated cats such as the lagoon 620, but it also has a galley up option.

Old 28-06-2015, 07:51   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

It really does end up being a preference. One friends wife does not like the galley up because she is not happy about dishes on display or cooking in an area where kids and other work is going on.

If reaching for a drink from the fridge easily is the rationale-get a small drinks fridge, and a coffee maker.

At the end of the day, they both work. It would not be my #1 worry if a boat presented well, as long as the galley was light and airy... A lot of the smaller Cats have open access to the 'upper' saloon so conversation can be carried on.

To the OP. You must take into your account your own susceptibility to wave movement and being in the hulls. You must take into account the cooks preference.

And ultimately, it must be your own choice.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 13:11   #33

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
To the OP. You must take into your account your own susceptibility to wave movement and being in the hulls. You must take into account the cooks preference.
Amen!
If we had galley down we'd had to live off canned food and snacks on the first days of passage as my wife needs a day or two at sea before she can tolerate being down in the hulls long enough to prepare a decent meal.
Old 28-06-2015, 14:04   #34
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

I agree, it's preference. On smaller cars you will get a larger more workable galley and more room in the salon if the galleys down, nine times out of ten.
A good example would be to compare the older Lagoon 37 with galley down to the newer Lagoon 380 with galley up. The older 37 wins hands down in my opinion.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435521839.792201.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	104343
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435521853.593432.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	104344
Old 28-06-2015, 14:26   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Generally I prefer galley down. But in lower lattitudes, Small cat, what the heck, if all you have up is nav and galley that's fine. I don't remember spending much time at all in the salon up.... always in the huge cockpit. Table out there was 2-3 times the size in the salon one anyway. Living aboard at the dock would be different.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 14:29   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I agree, it's preference. On smaller cars you will get a larger more workable galley and more room in the salon if the galleys down, nine times out of ten.
A good example would be to compare the older Lagoon 37 with galley down to the newer Lagoon 380 with galley up. The older 37 wins hands down in my opinion.
Attachment 104343
Attachment 104344
Good example. That galley is similar to the Lagoon 42 I had. HUGE. above the sink are cabinets also that are not too evident. Under are cab's also. Try all that with galley up.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 16:16   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Good example. That galley is similar to the Lagoon 42 I had. HUGE. above the sink are cabinets also that are not too evident. Under are cab's also. Try all that with galley up.
Fully agree. Counter space and storage can be much better in galley down.
But don't forget that all these cabinets and counter space are useless if the admiral gets seasick down below.
Old 28-06-2015, 16:31   #38

Send a message via Skype™ to Kreef

Seafari where are you now and what Cat are you looking for ?Yes only 20 mins around the tip of Cape point too on a calmish day .Nothing nicer than a few perle too .Those were the days ,Wine of the western cape vineyards ,some of the best in the world ,lobsters abalone and a choice of tuna steaks from the braai out on a moonlit night on a flat sea with the braai going.Doesn't get much better than that!!!
Old 28-06-2015, 16:48   #39

Send a message via Skype™ to Kreef

Rabbi so true I remember it could get quite hot and I felt queasy at times cooking in a rough sea with the smell of food in galley down version and I normally do not get seasick at all.
Old 28-06-2015, 19:58   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreef View Post
Seafari where are you now and what Cat are you looking for ?Yes only 20 mins around the tip of Cape point too on a calmish day .Nothing nicer than a few perle too .Those were the days ,Wine of the western cape vineyards ,some of the best in the world ,lobsters abalone and a choice of tuna steaks from the braai out on a moonlit night on a flat sea with the braai going.Doesn't get much better than that!!!
Kreef, I've been living in Aus for last 14 years and doing the power boating 'thing' but the sailing catamaran bug has bitten hard. Since I'm new to this I'm looking for 35-40ft and capable of easily handling with 2 people. Aus has so many cruising destinations and friendly coastal opportunities. Initial use for the boat will be weekend getaways.

PS! I know the ocean and weather around Cape Point very well. In any one 12 month period you can count the number of calm moonlight nights for bbq'ing on the back deck on your hand. False Bay is nice if the SE is not blowing 25knts. Hout Bay is also a nice harbour but like the rest of CT, once you leave the harbour you're 'offshore'.
Old 28-06-2015, 20:10   #41

Thanks everyone for the comments, much appreciated. I can see that there's no right or wrong answer regarding layout but rather what works best for you. My limited knowledge and recent research has led me to believe that a 35ft yacht is probably best suited to a galley down which is better done in some designs than others. Seawind and Lightweight (I'm sure there are others as well) seem to have designed the galley down in such a way that you do not feel like you're completely cut off from the salon area. Galley up in these models would greatly reduce the usable salon area so in these smaller models it seems to work. In a larger boat I would prefer the galley up layout for all the reasons already mentioned. Thanks again.
Old 29-06-2015, 03:41   #42

In my 40K mile experiece, ladies prefer galley up, and gentlement galley down.

Your call!
Old 29-06-2015, 15:49   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreef View Post
Rabbi so true I remember it could get quite hot and I felt queasy at times cooking in a rough sea with the smell of food in galley down version and I normally do not get seasick at all.
If the smell of food makes you feel ill, there's probably not much point in preparing it.

A lot of what is said about galley down is simply false.

The "cook" is NOT cut off from what's happening upstairs. Usually they still have head and shoulders at saloon level.

The motion down there isn't worse. If anything it's slightly better. And the long narrow layout means you can brace yourself better at sea.

A down galley is not hotter or less well ventilated when cooking. In fact it's much cooler. Heat rises. Up and out of the galley into the saloon. It's noticeably warmer in the saloon at head height (which is where you'd be in a galley up, BTW) when cooking in the down galley.

Both layouts have pro's and con's. But it seems some of the comments condemning down galleys have been made by people who haven't actually seen or used one.
Old 29-06-2015, 16:21   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
If the smell of food makes you feel ill, there's probably not much point in preparing it.

The "cook" is NOT cut off from what's happening upstairs. Usually they still have head and shoulders at saloon level.

The motion down there isn't worse. If anything it's slightly better. And the long narrow layout means you can brace yourself better at sea.

A down galley is not hotter or less well ventilated when cooking. In fact it's much cooler. Heat rises. Up and out of the galley into the saloon. It's noticeably warmer in the saloon at head height (which is where you'd be in a galley up, BTW) when cooking in the down galley.

Both layouts have pro's and con's. But it seems some of the comments condemning down galleys have been made by people who haven't actually seen or used one.
We had a galley down on a charter (privilege 37). The only thing I really disliked was passing food and dishes up and down. Your comments regarding heat are spot on, but those on isolation of the cook are not for that particular boat. But that was nothing to bother us.

our issue really is seasickness. The movement down in the hulls is (theoretically) a bit less than on bridgedeck level. However it just doesn't feel that way. the first days at sea cooking down below would not work for my admiral.
Old 30-06-2015, 00:18   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post

Crusing Cat, my wife does suffer from sea sickness occassionally but she really prefers galley down, much for the reasons you have explained, and for the benefit of storage. On galley up boats she always seems to need something from under the saloon seats. This applied even on our 45ft cat. It is so different when chartering a cat or having a two week holiday - but when you live full time on a boat the galley down seems to be so more practical. What is over looked in the debate is that 90% of the time, or more, our boats are at anchor. Look at the Privilege 37 with the (viewable) galley down and then look at the excuse of a galley in the Privilege 395. Many of the Fountain Pajots have a ludicrously tiny galley as does a boat like the Lagoon 38. Even many of the larger galley up cats offer limited counter space and very limited space for provisions; as I said, fine maybe for a week or so but very frustrating for longer term.

Tags
catamaran, galley

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: