Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2015, 15:53   #16

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: 35' cat for ocean crossing?

How about this one...

Wharram Pahi 42 For Sale by owner
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 17:18   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 35' cat for ocean crossing?

Depends on whether built to the original plans or the later mod's.. they did have daggerboards in the bows to start, tho' the idea was good these proved a weakness.. intended to improve upwind performance..
Not my taste asthetically but they have their fans..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 19:46   #18

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45

On one hand you mention sailing the Caribbean- I think smaller multi's would be fine for that since you're not far from resources and reprovisiong. As for crossing the South Pacific, no way. Like Belize Sailor said, it's about carrying capacity. You have to have enough gear, spares, fuel, and food to be self sufficient for many months and thousands of miles. The Pahi 42 obviously carried one that solo sailor all the way around, but add two more people and all that entails from water to cloths to toys to school books to 3x the food etc..I don't see it. Just took another look- nope! still not seeing in capacity in that boat. Also, with a family aboard you'll want to carry a lot of safety equipment. I think you need to choose between sailing the Caribben in a smaller multi or, if the Pacific is the goal go mono.
Four Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 23:14   #19

Make sure the boat is in good condition, reef early and sail conservatively and they should do fine.

You might want to look at Catalacs as another budget alternative. A bit older but heavily constructed with a conservative sailplan.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 23:28   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Make sure the boat is in good condition, reef early and sail conservatively and they should do fine.

You might want to look at Catalacs as another budget alternative. A bit older but heavily constructed with a conservative sailplan.
I cruise Catalac10m since 2007 liveaboard on the hook. Initially the Catalac was my financial only option which is a bad motive for any purchase. But this cat really right for me and my purpose. It can carry huge loads, can be dried out every day if needed, small beam, low draught allow access to anchoring spits other yachts cant get to but whivh are often safest best protected from elements. Passage in the Catalac very possible like always keep weight centered as is prone to hobby horsing in certain seastates but those more found closer to coast.
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 01:26   #21

Boat: Traditional 30

Lerouge Cruising Catamaran for sale by owner
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 09:21   #22

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Coconuts View Post
On one hand you mention sailing the Caribbean- I think smaller multi's would be fine for that since you're not far from resources and reprovisiong. As for crossing the South Pacific, no way. Like Belize Sailor said, it's about carrying capacity. You have to have enough gear, spares, fuel, and food to be self sufficient for many months and thousands of miles. The Pahi 42 obviously carried one that solo sailor all the way around, but add two more people and all that entails from water to cloths to toys to school books to 3x the food etc..I don't see it. Just took another look- nope! still not seeing in capacity in that boat. Also, with a family aboard you'll want to carry a lot of safety equipment. I think you need to choose between sailing the Caribben in a smaller multi or, if the Pacific is the goal go mono.
A Pahi 42 can carry 3 tons, plenty of payload for 4+ people.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 09:34   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]

We've been in French Polynesia for 2 years.

We are on a 35' FP Tobago.

We have lived aboard for 8.

These boats are typically higher then your budget, but the size have been no issue for 8 years, and lots of ocean miles.

Just another example of a boat.

Comments that there is not enough storage/capacity on smaller cats, I suppose it depends more on the people then the boat, and what is "enough".

We are 2, and have never had any concern about storage or having enough "things" on board for our comfort and safety.

Good luck on the boat search, and Wharram's, if well built, are great boats for the price.
Old 16-03-2015, 09:53   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltym View Post
We've been in French Polynesia for 2 years.

We are on a 35' FP Tobago.

We have lived aboard for 8.

These boats are typically higher then your budget, but the size have been no issue for 8 years, and lots of ocean miles.

Just another example of a boat.

Comments that there is not enough storage/capacity on smaller cats, I suppose it depends more on the people then the boat, and what is "enough".

We are 2, and have never had any concern about storage or having enough "things" on board for our comfort and safety.

Good luck on the boat search, and Wharram's, if well built, are great boats for the price.
Words of Wisdom here...^^^^^^^^
Want a washing machine, showers everyday, 2 fridges and all the trappings of land.. get a Lagoon 380 +..
Happy with the simple life.. and know how to wash clothes by hand, bathe in sea water with a quick SW rinse that only uses a couple of litres FE as opposed to 10 gallons.. get a Wharram..
Its horses for course's and whats good for one aint for someone else..
If I had the money for a L380-450.. I'd still go for that Tiki 38.. simply because if things go wrong I can fix it.. not have to run for the nearest B/yard..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 16-03-2015, 09:58   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Dear Coconut - have to disagree with you. Plenty of people circumnavigate on small cats and small mono-hulls. Many well found 35ft cats have adequate capacity for such duty. In fact there is another posting from somewith with a Fountain Pajot who is cruising on a mid-30's cat. We have a friend who has circumnavigated on a owners version (3x double cabins, 2x heads) on an Island Spirit 35 with his family - that seems to carry a huge load. He is now into his second turn around on the same boat and has no desires to change. If you look you can also find people cruising for years on Heavenly Twins, a 26ft cat. I believe that many people have forgotten that there has been a trend to bigger and bigger boats for cruising. It was not that long ago that many circumnavigated on boats in the low 30's - with greater than 40ft being considered excessive. Nowadays, many poeple consider that a boat has to be in the low 40's. Recall the thread that talked about rigid hulled dinghies? Whereby someone claimed that to be seaworthy they had to be at least 19ft long?
Try going on one of the modern cats such as an Island Spirit or a FP Mahe. The Island Spirit grew from 35ft to 40ft but the internals did not change in size, only the layout. The hulls just grew in length - as much for asthetics as well as to further increase bouyancy aft. Many people consider 35ft to be the optimum size for cruising due to economics as well as space whilst retaining good seaworthiness.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 10:09   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bulawayo.. in my youth folk sailed from the UK to France in 12ft clinker dinghies..
In 1990 folk in Cherbourg were amazed I sailed a Tiki 26 to there from Poole..
Its this myth that bigger is safer and better..

Old 16-03-2015, 10:22   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Totally agree ...... my first boat was a 32ft mono; we (some army pals) sailed from Cape Town to Rio in '76. Our biggest load was beer, just in case we ran out of water!!
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 13:44   #28

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
On one hand you mention sailing the Caribbean- I think smaller multi's would be fine for that since you're not far from resources and reprovisiong. As for crossing the South Pacific, no way. Like Belize Sailor said, it's about carrying capacity. You have to have enough gear, spares, fuel, and food to be self sufficient for many months and thousands of miles.
I'd say it's doable with the right attitude and a credit card.

How many spares does one really need? A few blocks, a few sheets, an impeller, a few filters, a hand full of other things. Together with tools maybe 50 kg. Everything else can be shipped in by DHL. Costs $$$ of couse.
If visiting areas which are definately too far out for DHL you need to take more with you, but that's not a ton or so.

How much fuel is required? We prefer to sail, even if it's just at 3kn. Electricity can be provided by the sun and wind. Costs more $$$ than running the engine though

How much water? Enough to get you safely there plus 50kg for a watermaker and enough solar panels. A hand operated backup for the worst case (bad water and broken watermaker). Reasonably light but $$$

Food, of course. Good and plenty, to be supplemented with local stuff. Not being able to stock up when it's cheap will again increase $$$. Or change your diet and eat what the locals eat.

Books? Get a each crew member an eReader. $$$

Washing machine? Bucket! And many anchorages have laundry service. Again some $$$

Offshore saftey gear will weight saome and even money won't help much to reduce this weight. All you can do is go without which I would not suggest.

It's all about compromises. If you want to go in 35ft, it's certainly doable. Look for good bridgedeck clearance and keep her light.

We have a 36ft FP Mahe and we live on it with 2 adults and 2 kids for extended periods (so far max. 6 weeks in a row, but this summer at least 3 months ). We have lived aboard for one year on a 41ft cat with no problem and I don't see much of a difference in our 36ft now, at least not where it counts. Its just things like a bit less elbow room everywhere, smaller cockpit table, no dedicated guest cabin, only one head, smaller dinghy. Certainly not an issue for a family.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 23:03   #29

Hi,

My wife and I had a Woods/Palamos Banshee 35 and sailed across the Pacific without any problems, easy to sail (easier than a Monohull of that size), good passage times and plenty of space. We now have two children and looking back, having them onboard a Cat of that size would be no problem (providing you choose the right Cat) We now have a Maldives 32 and whilst there is less space than the Banshee, I still think there is room for extended cruising on her, I think it is all about what you are used to! Looking at your budget, don't blow it all on the boat, buy the smallest you are comfortable with (but 32' as a min) and spend the rest exploring!. Our website has gone now but our blog is still on the Mailasail Website if you are interested (RAHULA).
1hullgoodtwohul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:41   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Dear Coconut - have to disagree with you. Plenty of people circumnavigate on small cats and small mono-hulls. Many well found 35ft cats have adequate capacity for such duty. In fact there is another posting from somewith with a Fountain Pajot who is cruising on a mid-30's cat. We have a friend who has circumnavigated on a owners version (3x double cabins, 2x heads) on an Island Spirit 35 with his family - that seems to carry a huge load. He is now into his second turn around on the same boat and has no desires to change. If you look you can also find people cruising for years on Heavenly Twins, a 26ft cat. I believe that many people have forgotten that there has been a trend to bigger and bigger boats for cruising. It was not that long ago that many circumnavigated on boats in the low 30's - with greater than 40ft being considered excessive. Nowadays, many poeple consider that a boat has to be in the low 40's. Recall the thread that talked about rigid hulled dinghies? Whereby someone claimed that to be seaworthy they had to be at least 19ft long?
Try going on one of the modern cats such as an Island Spirit or a FP Mahe. The Island Spirit grew from 35ft to 40ft but the internals did not change in size, only the layout. The hulls just grew in length - as much for asthetics as well as to further increase bouyancy aft. Many people consider 35ft to be the optimum size for cruising due to economics as well as space whilst retaining good seaworthiness.

Small cats, even old dedign can do very well. I got Catalac 10 m and have sailed it in dangeroys Southern and Eastern African seas. The owners of S/V Blue Felix relate their Atlantic crossing from Europe to Latin America with their Catalac 10m, they croseed back to France with it too. Seems they found it very adequate.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ocean crossing