Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-09-2008, 16:33   #1

Boat: Lagoon 500, 51' - Three Little Birds
3 Year Circumnavigation - Selecting a Boat

I am planning a 3 year circumnavigation with my family. We are in the beginning phase of selecting a boat, and based on the quality of the posts I have read, I though I would share my thoughts, seek suggestions, and open myself up to constructive criticism.

My two line CV is that I grew up sailing and have always wanted to sail around the world. I own a Seawind 1000, am 40 years old, married with three boys ages 2, 7 and 8. We live in Hermosa Beach, CA.

The overview is that we plan to leave in 2011 (We want the boys as old as possible, yet feel it is important to have the oldest back by high school.) Ideally, we plan to start on the East Coast, with the Caribbean being our first season. The goal is purchase our boat at least a year in advance (sometime in 2009), put the boat in private charter with a captain, and get all the kinks worked out, plus take some longer trips on the boat before we "go it alone." Some other business reasons why we want the boat a little early.

Knowing all that, we need to select a boat. This is what I think I know so far.

1) It must be a safe, blue water capable cat. I know that is obvious, but it allows me skip a lot of the details - bridge deck clearance, tankage, weight capacity, etc.
2) We want it to be as big as safely possible for our family to handle. I figure we will bring on crew for the major crossings.
3) Based on item 2 above, the 50 foot range is what we are looking at.
4) Galley Up. (I have read a great deal on this forum about the galley up and down. If there is any interest in why we picket what we did, I can provide that in greater detail later.)
5) I think (75% certain) that we do not want the engines under the bunks, in the cabin.
6) In the trade off between the Porsche and the SUV, we are more on the side of the SUV. (Did I mention I am married with 3 boys?)

There are many other details about a boat that I am skipping. Lets assume that most of those are addressed in number 1 above, and further narrowed down by number 6. This is as much about selecting the lifestyle tradeoffs, with the general assumption that we will be spending 70%-85% of our time at anchor or sailing in a single day.

Lets start with what is out - in our size range:

Lagoons - Galley ups have the new raised cockpit. We chartered one for a week in the BVI. Great option for a charter, but not so great for world cruse - that is letting 10% of time rule out an option. The older Lagoons, which are proven blue water boats, are all galley down. (See some photos under our profile.)

Privilege - Can not find a model that is galley up. Too bad, as once again that is a proven blue water boat.

Leopard/Moorings - not big enough

All the daggerboard cats are more like the Porsche then the SUV. And I am partial to fixed keels.

The current contenders:

St Francis 50 - not out completely, but number 5 above is a concern. Have not seen a galley up, but plan to charter the one that just arrived in the BIV a few months ago.

Fountaine Pajot - The Salina 48 is our current top selection. The problem is, I have not even walked on one yet. Trying to charter on this Thanks Giving holiday.

So that is the short list. If you are still reading, I know that I skimmed over a great deal of information. If anyone follows up, ask questions and I can provide much more detail about my reasoning. I just did not want this to be too long to start.

Thank you all.

Scott

Old 14-09-2008, 16:48   #2

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Privilege - Can not find a model that is galley up. Too bad, as once again that is a proven blue water boat.
Most Privileges built since 2000 are galley up... mine included

http://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 16:56   #3

Newer Privilege have galley up. Atleast 445 and 495 if i remember right. Take a look at the model with one bedroom in the front...in the middle....lovely.

Leopard 46, is that boat to small?

S:T Francis, ask/check Gludy on this forum...just ordered one. With galley up.

Budget?
Old 14-09-2008, 17:20   #4

Thank you! Don't know how I missed that, other than it is not obvious on the Alliaura web site.

So now the Privilege 495 is on the list. Just one more boat I get to test drive.

Scott
Old 14-09-2008, 17:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post

Leopard 46, is that boat to small?

Budget?
Yes, Leopard 46 is to small. Afraid the Salina 48 may be too.

Budget is ready to go under $1 MM. New or used is fine.
Old 14-09-2008, 17:41   #6

Privilege 495... Sooo... you don´t have to look anymore. Take a look at the privilege thread on this forum.
Old 14-09-2008, 17:48   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Under 1 mil.
I wish I had your problem.

May I have your Seawind when you get the other please?
Old 14-09-2008, 17:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Under 1 mil.
I wish I had your problem.

May I have your Seawind when you get the other please?
Do you need a seawind and a Dolpin?
Old 14-09-2008, 18:04   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
Do you need a seawind and a Dolpin?
Nope.

If it seems confusing, please don't let it be.

I know someone who will take the one I don't keep.
Old 14-09-2008, 21:24   #10
cruiser

Boat: St Francis 50 on order
The St Francis offers as standard the option to change the engine/prop postion but no matter what you order it seems to me that engines have got to be under or near to the stern beds.

In one stern cabin we have stripped all out and simply used the engine to build around it so it is the base of a table - we then get a full broadcast video studio into that cabin - that is how flexible the design is. A forthcoming video will explain more.

We have also extended the saloon galley and the nav area losing some seating - built in a wet cloths cupboard with built in fresh water shower with drain and hot air for drying off wet clothes etc. The list goes on and on.

Like you we air on the side of SUV but we like our luxuries so have everything from a bath/shower to wine chillers.

St Francis are now delivering into 2010.
Old 14-09-2008, 23:39   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 440, for sale from March 2016 in New Caledonia
We are in the same situation: hopefully sailing away in 2011 with 3 girls (aged 2, 5 and 8), but unfortunately no $1M budget to boot. We've tried both the FP Lavezzi 40 and Orana 44, and chartered last month a Leopard 42 (Moorings 4200) in Tonga
Here are my first remarks:
- I was convinced we needed at least 42 - 44 ft for security, comfort and carrying capabilities (water, equipment, etc...). After actually sailing on these 3 cats, I'm now convinced we could do with 40 feet, maybe even 38 (Lagoon 380).
- We are not considering the Salina (beyond our budget), but that's definitely what we would choose if money were not an issue. It is huge inside and out, fast and comfortable.
- The Leopard 42 was good for the protected waters of Vava'u (Tonga) but slamming was unbearable each time we ventured outside, in just 25 knots of wind. Bridge deck clearance is really a problem. The same goes for the Leopard 46 (Moorings 4600) that we saw up close. Maybe you get used to slamming after a while, but it's a bit nerve racking at first, for both adults and children.
Old 15-09-2008, 02:52   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
We are in the same situation: hopefully sailing away in 2011 with 3 girls (aged 2, 5 and 8), but unfortunately no $1M budget to boot. We've tried both the FP Lavezzi 40 and Orana 44, and chartered last month a Leopard 42 (Moorings 4200) in Tonga
Here are my first remarks:
- I was convinced we needed at least 42 - 44 ft for security, comfort and carrying capabilities (water, equipment, etc...). After actually sailing on these 3 cats, I'm now convinced we could do with 40 feet, maybe even 38 (Lagoon 380).
- We are not considering the Salina (beyond our budget), but that's definitely what we would choose if money were not an issue. It is huge inside and out, fast and comfortable.
- The Leopard 42 was good for the protected waters of Vava'u (Tonga) but slamming was unbearable each time we ventured outside, in just 25 knots of wind. Bridge deck clearance is really a problem. The same goes for the Leopard 46 (Moorings 4600) that we saw up close. Maybe you get used to slamming after a while, but it's a bit nerve racking at first, for both adults and children.
I prefer fp 36 before lagoon 380, and the galley is a big part of why. Take a look at the difference.
Take a look at the new Broabdlue 385 MK II (i think it´s only the MK I on their homepage).
The seawind 1160 is nice
Old 15-09-2008, 04:28   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Lipari 2011, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Family View Post
Yes, Leopard 46 is to small. Afraid the Salina 48 may be too.

Budget is ready to go under $1 MM. New or used is fine.
I have checked Salina. Not small in size but the way it has been designed, layed out, you don't even get the space you get in Orana. Otherwise, it's a great boat.

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 15-09-2008, 10:40   #14

Boat: FP Tobago 35
I know you don't want daggerboards, but I'm sure you can get an Atlantic by Chris White with LAR keels if you want.

Check them out - the pure sailing pleasure on a responsive boat that doesn't weigh 5 tons too much is the way to go.

Buy a boat that can sail in 5 knots of wind, you can always reef.

You want a SUV - why not a Porsche Cayenne? Best of both worlds, even if you never do go over 100 mph.

Alan
Old 15-09-2008, 12:30   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Nope.

If it seems confusing, please don't let it be.

I know someone who will take the one I don't keep.
Do you mean me??

Tags
circumnavigation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: