Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2008, 18:13   #31

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36
Hi have you checked out the Aussie boats? Lightwave 45 is my pick, but importantaly my wifes! Semi custom available for galley up or down, I also like multihull dynamics site for some data nanlysis on likely relatve performance. Good luck with your search
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 19:34   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 440, for sale from March 2016 in New Caledonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Whichever cat you choose, try to sail it offshore in rough seas before buying it. Most frequent complaint from those we have met (all having sailed at least 7000 NM in their cat -- various brands) is that the hull water noise on long passages is almost unbearable.
Judy
S/V BeBe

This is one of my major concerns. Our recent charter in Tonga (on a Robert & Caines design) further convinced me that bridge deck clearance should be THE number one parameter when it comes to choosing a bluewater cat. I used precisely the same adjective as you in an earlier post, "unbearable", to describe how we felt about slamming on that Leopard 42. We were then sailing with whales metres from the boat, so there was plenty of excitement on board, we shouldn't have paid so much notice to slamming. I can only imagine what it must be like for 20+ days in rougher seas, without much to distract you from continuous pounding.

That's why the Fountaine Pajots top my wish-list: a lot of buoyancy at the front, and a higher bridge-deck clearance than most. For instance, thanks to its hull design, the FP Bahia 46 seems to be, from what I've read on this site and others, one of the most comfortable and easy cats on the market (second-hand market now). We tried both Lavezzi (Jan 2008) and Orana (June 2008), on calm seas and 10-15 knots of wind, so we couldn't get an idea of how they would fare as far as slamming is concerned. I would be very interested to read more about these families that you met who complained so much about water noise (links to their blogs or websites ?) Sorry, this is probably another topic altogether, maybe I should start a separate thread
Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 22:07   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 440, for sale from March 2016 in New Caledonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C View Post
Hi have you checked out the Aussie boats? Lightwave 45 is my pick, but importantaly my wifes! Semi custom available for galley up or down, I also like multihull dynamics site for some data nanlysis on likely relatve performance. Good luck with your search
Thanks for this. I didn't know that there was an Aussie alternative to Seawind. I don't like at all its the way its looks (I'm embarrassed to admit this, it shouldn't be a reason to dismiss a cat) nor its various layouts, but it should be fast (it is light), and has good bluewater characteristics(bridge-deck clearance of nearly 1 metre) How much does it cost, with basic equipment ?
Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 22:30   #34

Boat: inspiration 10 - 10.5 mtrs capricorn magic
Following this thread, why do so many Americans want such huge craft? ie: 50fters+ A good cruising size is in the 35-42 ft range, miles of room and far less expensive to buy and maintain, or pay for a berth on a marina, but I guess a $mill is more than i'll ever see this side of the "Black Stump". Drop your sights a little and go now. not some theoretical day you may never reach! Natureboy
lolanreg@smartc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2008, 05:43   #35

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
Thanks for this. I didn't know that there was an Aussie alternative to Seawind. I don't like at all its the way its looks (I'm embarrassed to admit this, it shouldn't be a reason to dismiss a cat) nor its various layouts, but it should be fast (it is light), and has good bluewater characteristics(bridge-deck clearance of nearly 1 metre) How much does it cost, with basic equipment ?
Hi the last spec list I had was, the basic boat was very comprehensive, apart from only main and genoa, was around A$780k, Flly specced with all options, gen set, 55hp engines, AC, watermaker, SSB, water maker, additional sails etc etc was $A920. I have had good reports about sailing characteristics, and have spent quite a lot of time craling all over a vessel at a boat show, but really need to arrange atest sail when bck in oz.

Another option I guess is go with a custom boat builder to a known design. I have seen some of the work from the MTG yard in NSW, and the boats are finished very very well.
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2008, 06:14   #36
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Scott --

You might want to check out: 2005 Custom Eric Lerouge Boat For Sale

(no, I'm not a broker, and have no financial interests in this) However, I have been aboard this boat and become acquainted with the owner, who is a very experienced sailor/builder (I think he said this was his 30th-something boat). Amazingly well finished. Lerounge designs great cats. High bridgedeck (though, believe me, all cats will slam/pound under at least some conditions). Beautiful accommodations. And, the boat performs well, too.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 16:10   #37

can i have your job when you leave?
Llamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 00:33   #38

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Go now. My brother won a court case, put half a million stirling in the bank. Worked on 'till amas and died two days after his leaving do.
What really frightens me about cruising is not getting started. I'll never know then if it was all I hoped for.
And all I hope for is a break from drudgery and wide open choices. And no M3.
Old 25-09-2008, 06:06   #39

Boat: 40 ft Owen Easton Catamaran
Count us in on 2011. My husband will be retiring from the Navy in 2010 and we'll be leaving with our now 3 year old boy. Stock market may dictate our departure date too We're starting to look in the 35-40 foot range. Closing on the sale of our house today!!! It's the first step...

Schoonerdog...where in Annapolis are you? We're currently in Norfolk and are heading up to the boat show in a couple of weeks. Would love to meet you and your family and say hi.
Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 06:23   #40

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Leonard Family have you considered/looked at the Voyage 500. That is a roomy vessel, we have a 470 an earlier and little smaller model but it is huge inside. The 500 is almost 28 ft wide. My wife and I handle our 47 just fine on our own.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 07:37   #41

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
We would to, I just sent you a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica View Post
Count us in on 2011. My husband will be retiring from the Navy in 2010 and we'll be leaving with our now 3 year old boy. Stock market may dictate our departure date too We're starting to look in the 35-40 foot range. Closing on the sale of our house today!!! It's the first step...

Schoonerdog...where in Annapolis are you? We're currently in Norfolk and are heading up to the boat show in a couple of weeks. Would love to meet you and your family and say hi.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 08:05   #42

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Personally, of all the different boats you're considering I would look very heavily at the privilege 495 with the 5 cabin layout. It would have the largest interior and storage space of any boat that you are looking because of it's center nacelle. As a live aboard cruiser you'll find that everyone can have their own space, plus your really want the extra cabin as a "garage" where you store tools, setup as an office, workspace, etc.
Privilege does have a great reputation as well as a very sturdy and well appointed boat, I'd call it a Mercedes SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Family View Post
I am planning a 3 year circumnavigation with my family. We are in the beginning phase of selecting a boat, and based on the quality of the posts I have read, I though I would share my thoughts, seek suggestions, and open myself up to constructive criticism.

My two line CV is that I grew up sailing and have always wanted to sail around the world. I own a Seawind 1000, am 40 years old, married with three boys ages 2, 7 and 8. We live in Hermosa Beach, CA.

The overview is that we plan to leave in 2011 (We want the boys as old as possible, yet feel it is important to have the oldest back by high school.) Ideally, we plan to start on the East Coast, with the Caribbean being our first season. The goal is purchase our boat at least a year in advance (sometime in 2009), put the boat in private charter with a captain, and get all the kinks worked out, plus take some longer trips on the boat before we "go it alone." Some other business reasons why we want the boat a little early.

Knowing all that, we need to select a boat. This is what I think I know so far.

1) It must be a safe, blue water capable cat. I know that is obvious, but it allows me skip a lot of the details - bridge deck clearance, tankage, weight capacity, etc.
2) We want it to be as big as safely possible for our family to handle. I figure we will bring on crew for the major crossings.
3) Based on item 2 above, the 50 foot range is what we are looking at.
4) Galley Up. (I have read a great deal on this forum about the galley up and down. If there is any interest in why we picket what we did, I can provide that in greater detail later.)
5) I think (75% certain) that we do not want the engines under the bunks, in the cabin.
6) In the trade off between the Porsche and the SUV, we are more on the side of the SUV. (Did I mention I am married with 3 boys?)

There are many other details about a boat that I am skipping. Lets assume that most of those are addressed in number 1 above, and further narrowed down by number 6. This is as much about selecting the lifestyle tradeoffs, with the general assumption that we will be spending 70%-85% of our time at anchor or sailing in a single day.

Lets start with what is out - in our size range:

Lagoons - Galley ups have the new raised cockpit. We chartered one for a week in the BVI. Great option for a charter, but not so great for world cruse - that is letting 10% of time rule out an option. The older Lagoons, which are proven blue water boats, are all galley down. (See some photos under our profile.)

Privilege - Can not find a model that is galley up. Too bad, as once again that is a proven blue water boat.

Leopard/Moorings - not big enough

All the daggerboard cats are more like the Porsche then the SUV. And I am partial to fixed keels.

The current contenders:

St Francis 50 - not out completely, but number 5 above is a concern. Have not seen a galley up, but plan to charter the one that just arrived in the BIV a few months ago.

Fountaine Pajot - The Salina 48 is our current top selection. The problem is, I have not even walked on one yet. Trying to charter on this Thanks Giving holiday.

So that is the short list. If you are still reading, I know that I skimmed over a great deal of information. If anyone follows up, ask questions and I can provide much more detail about my reasoning. I just did not want this to be too long to start.

Thank you all.

Scott
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 15:32   #43

Boat: Lagoon 500, 51' - Three Little Birds
Just Chartered St. Francis 50

Over Thanksgiving we chartered a St. Francis 50 as a "test drive" for a possible boat for our trip. We had a great time, and the boat is now on our short list. We chartered in the BVI on a Nutmeg. Great boat, brand new, with a great crew. I highly recommend. Below is a short movie from the trip.

Next up for us in the boat show in Miami to check out more boats. I have have appreciated everyone for their comments. For those that we looking to take my job when I am gone, I own and run a multifamily office and a money management firm. With how the markets has been going, you can have my job now... The good news is that the dollar has gained a good amount, so the foreign boats are a little less costly now.
Leonard Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 15:38   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
Personally, of all the different boats you're considering I would look very heavily at the privilege 495 with the 5 cabin layout.
All I can find is 4 or 3 cabins, and galley down. The galley up is a must for us.

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2009, 16:53   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Family View Post

St Francis 50 - not out completely, but number 5 above is a concern. Have not seen a galley up, but plan to charter the one that just arrived in the BIV a few months ago.
Now that we have chartered the St Francis, and spent time talking with others, item number 5 (which was the engines under the bunks) is no longer an issue. I see pros and cons each way.

I have started a blog on sailblogs.com to document our process. Leonard Family Sails

I appreciate all the comments and hope for more on this forum. If anyone is also planning a similar type of trip with kids, please contact us.

Tags
circumnavigation