Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2019, 09:37   #1

3 cabin or 4 cabin

My wife & I are buying our first cat, and will predominantly use it for a several weeks at a time in the Caribbean and on the East Coast. The owner's version (3 cabin) seems most logical, but others tell me the 4 cabin is more desirable (despite the higher market demand for 3 cabin) because the 4th cabin adds more storage space, and is welcome when more guests arrive, whereas the larger shower, etc. of the 3 cabin is only mildly more comfortable and does not off-set the benefits of a 4th cabin. Three cabin owners: do you wish you had a 4th cabin? Four cabin owners: do you miss the larger shower/head?
jmondl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:22   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: 3 cabin or 4 cabin

It really depends on so many factors. How often will you have guest onboard? What size range are you looking for? What kind of budget are you trying to stay under?

Historically 3 cabin layouts were always the more desirable layout, but I'm finding more and more buyers who are only interested in 4 cabin layouts.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:26   #3

We are looking at 40' or so, and not really trying to fit into a particular budget, but instead make a smart decision on the layout. I don't think the cost for one over the other is particularly significant anyhow, so it's not like we would save much money going with one over the other, but we just want to choose the one that, when aboard for weeks at a time, we're glad we chose.
jmondl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:31   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmondl View Post
We are looking at 40' or so, and not really trying to fit into a particular budget, but instead make a smart decision on the layout. I don't think the cost for one over the other is particularly significant anyhow, so it's not like we would save much money going with one over the other, but we just want to choose the one that, when aboard for weeks at a time, we're glad we chose.

How much time will it just be the two of you all versus friends/family visiting? I would probably in that size range almost only go with an owners version, whereas if I were looking in the 45-50ft range I think the 4 cabin layouts have enough space in each stateroom for full-time living aboard.

Let me know if there is ever anything I can do to help. I have a pretty firm pulse what's happen in the catamaran realm.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:35   #5

Truly depends on how many persons you desire to have aboard.

Many cruising couples prefer the rule of maximum occupancy aboard their yacht to be:

6 for drinks,
4 for dinner,
2 to sleep over.

And then there is the perineal associated debate over how many heads are appropriate.

Cleaning and maintaining them being the real-life limiter.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:42   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Truly depends on how many persons you desire to have aboard.

Many cruising couples prefer the rule of maximum occupancy aboard their yacht to be:

6 for drinks,
4 for dinner,
2 to sleep over.

And then there is the perineal associated debate over how many heads are appropriate.

Cleaning and maintaining them being the real-life limiter.
I love the drinks for 6, dinner for 4, and sleeps 2. I use that one all the time when talking with clients.
Old 03-05-2019, 13:26   #7

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
but others tell me the 4 cabin is more desirable (despite the higher market demand for 3 cabin) because the 4th cabin adds more storage space
My guess is that the "others" that are telling you that have 4 cabin boats they would like to sell........

If you will have frequent guests aboard, or a large family, 4 cabins might make sense. But in reality, 4 cabin boats are designed for the charter market.

Technically, my boat has three cabins and one head, however the salon can be converted into a berth too.

Our starboard quarterberth has become an extension of the galley. Our port quarterberth has become a second closet. We tend to be loners tho......
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 13:37   #8

Well it's all about sleeping. How many berths do you want? ie: you get 4 cabins either way, but one may be storage or a workshop. I had a work shop in one forward cabin, seldom anything got worked on in there, but a lot of storage occurred! I think I had 15 drawers or compartments up there.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 13:48   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

To me the 3 cabin is the way to go. The Owner’s cabin is a full hull. When you have guests you can close the door to you hull and have complete privacy.

As a delivery captain, if the owner is not aboard that IS where I’m sleeping!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 13:53   #10

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

I think if I were looking for a bigger cat, one of the things high on my list would be if the owners head had a "wet head" or a "dry head". Meaning a separate enclosed shower.

I'm not sure those exist with 4 cabin boats..... Maybe they do.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:29   #11

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

I am turning my 4 cabin cat into a two cabins, huge ensuite and a workshop.
That should answer your question... ����

You and your wife need storage and comfort, not guests.
spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmondl View Post
My wife & I are buying our first cat, and will predominantly use it for a several weeks at a time in the Caribbean and on the East Coast. The owner's version (3 cabin) seems most logical, but others tell me the 4 cabin is more desirable (despite the higher market demand for 3 cabin) because the 4th cabin adds more storage space, and is welcome when more guests arrive, whereas the larger shower, etc. of the 3 cabin is only mildly more comfortable and does not off-set the benefits of a 4th cabin. Three cabin owners: do you wish you had a 4th cabin? Four cabin owners: do you miss the larger shower/head?
All 40' to 45' cats are not the same size. Plus design can make a difference even if beam and LOA are the same. Lagoon's in the 40' and 45' are bigger than FP's in the 40' and 45' models and Lagoons are much more roomy. But a smaller boat with design you prefer you might like better for storage, guests,and general roominess.

But like most similar things in life and especially boats there are always trade offs and different intended uses. Many of the trade offs are completely subjective and purely a matter of personal taste. All other people can help with is point out what they see are the trade offs. It is quite possible what one person sees as a trade off for their intended use does it mater to the next person based on their intended use.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:46   #13

Another thought is: What kind of storage do you need? A stateroom with berth in the forward V is good storage as it is for some things. Even if the V berth was not there, the storage in the V hull shape is not great. Maybe have one berth setup with some drawers rather than a closet and let it do both!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:40   #14

Boat: Lagoon 42

We have an owner’s version 2019 Lagoon 42, Ocean Song. Our plan is to live aboard for 2 - 5 years after she spends 3 years in charter with TMM in the BVI. Thus far we love the owner’s version. The Lagoon 42 is a bit lacking compared to other 42 foot cats in regard to storage. The boat is very roomy, open, and feels more like a 44 - 46 foot cat. To get the open, airy feeling you give up some storage space. However, we feel for a cruising couple with occasional guests the storage is ample. My vote is obviously to go with a 3 cabin unless specific needs dictate otherwise.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:05   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Like many things nautical, I think one tends to like the one you have. I have had a four cabin Leopard 45 since 2004. It was an obvious choice since I was going to charter, and am still doing so. However, there is plenty of off charter time, including the off season, and at those times I move into an entire hull. I remember seeing a three cabin model and being initially taken by it, but those days are long gone.

First, the extra bunk can be really good and accessible storage. Second, on some long deliveries, it's nice to stretch that "drinks six, feed four, sleeps two" into comfortable and private space for more crew, who in turn are much more likely to be enthusiastic the following time. Third, I enjoy having large groups of friends on board, from time to time, and this often includes overnights. It's not unusual for me to have three friends aboard, each with their own bunk.

I left the most obvious for last....heads! Many four cabin boats do have four heads with separate showers. Mine has wet showers, but....it's easy for me to use one of the heads on "my" side as a dry head and one as a shower. When I also had a chef/partner/GF onboard, we could have "his and hers" heads, which is quite a luxury. And, finally, those super luxurious heads up forward in the owner's version can get mighty bumpy, bordering on unusable, in a rough seaway, which sooner or later almost everyone experiences. ON the other hand, I can be perfectly comfortable in the head for the aft cabin in my hull.

On top of all of this, for any of a number of reasons (flat or rough anchorage, direction where the sun rises, proximity to dock, etc, etc.) It's not unusual, nor is it diffiicult for me to swap out sleeping aft for sleeping forward.

No, I don't envy those with the owner's version, but I do understand the lure, having thought about it a lot.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin