Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2019, 08:03   #31

Boat: Privilege 37
Re: 3 cabin or 4 cabin

Some good arguments here, but I think that as the boat length decreases, the argument for a 3 cabin version gets stronger. My Privilege 37 would not be nearly as nice as a 4 cabin version.
If your boat is big enough to have heads/showers for each cabin, I think the argument gets a lot weaker.

At the end of the day, the true decision is whether you want the extra berth for guests or the extra room for the master cabin and en-suite.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:16   #32
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

We have an owner's version. I don't think mine is better, but it is right for us for several reasons.

1. Better resale value. Although frankly we now like our 380 so much we can't imagine going bigger.

2. We don't want to cram a bunch of people on board. It would tempt us to go bigger, and see #1.

3. The master bathroom on our 380 is super nice, for any size cat anywhere near that price range. I am a bathroom girl, and cramming into a wet room just doesn't make me happy.

The second cabin is decorated very beautifully, and I will sit in there when I want to just de-stress and enjoy a perfect space. The third cabin is where all the tools and crap are, and I go in there when I want to get to work again (and see all my projects lol). I would also hate the idea of having more than 2 heads on board-all those floating tanks of poo and joker valves, no thanks.

But that's just me and what makes us happy. You do you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
And then there is the perineal associated debate over how many heads are appropriate.
"Perineal | Definition of Perineal at Dictionary.com

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/perineal
The portion of the body in the pelvis occupied by urogenital passages and the rectum, bounded in front by the pubic arch, in the back by the coccyx, and laterally by part of the hipbone. The region between the scrotum and the anus in males, and between the posterior vulva junction and the anus in females."

I think you mean "perennial", but perineal does have its application with regards to heads...
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:26   #33

Boat: Lagoon 440, Sea Of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmondl View Post
We are looking at 40' or so, and not really trying to fit into a particular budget, but instead make a smart decision on the layout. I don't think the cost for one over the other is particularly significant anyhow, so it's not like we would save much money going with one over the other, but we just want to choose the one that, when aboard for weeks at a time, we're glad we chose.
Charter a 4 cabin for a couple of weeks, then a 3 cabin. See what you like best
Capt. Joe
Sea Of Love
4 cabin
sail4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 14:19   #34

Boat: Coronado 23 MkII

Everyone, of course, will have their own opinion, but my wife and I have been looking for awhile and changed our minds repeatedly. Since we aren't owners yet, take it with a grain of salt. If you can go bigger than 50', it probably doesn't matter as much if you have 4/4, 3/3, or 3/2. Smaller than that is where it really is an issue because you want to maximize your living space and comfort. Also, depends on whether you think you'll charter or not. For us, we won't charter (he says as his wife laughs at him) and less bathrooms/plumbing to take care of is probably the biggest issue. Also, as others have mentioned, we definitely don't want a wet head. So, now we're still in favor of the 3/2, but would go 4/2 as long as the showers are separate. It will only be the two of us most of the time until "family and friends" figure out where we're at, so our comfort first and then that of any guests second. If, God forbid, we end up with a 4/4, we'll convert two of the heads into showers. If we end up with 4/2, we'll definitely make one cabin convertible from a workshop or storage to a berth and visa versa. If we do go with 4 cabins, definitely will try to stick with the 2 heads/showers in the center of the hull. That's the best layout we've seen short of the 3/2. Just my $.02 worth, although it's not even worth that because depreciation has already devalued it before it even left my pocket.
vrxagjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 17:04   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrxagjf View Post
Everyone, of course, will have their own opinion, but my wife and I have been looking for awhile and changed our minds repeatedly. Since we aren't owners yet, take it with a grain of salt. If you can go bigger than 50', it probably doesn't matter as much if you have 4/4, 3/3, or 3/2. Smaller than that is where it really is an issue because you want to maximize your living space and comfort. Also, depends on whether you think you'll charter or not. For us, we won't charter (he says as his wife laughs at him) and less bathrooms/plumbing to take care of is probably the biggest issue. Also, as others have mentioned, we definitely don't want a wet head. So, now we're still in favor of the 3/2, but would go 4/2 as long as the showers are separate. It will only be the two of us most of the time until "family and friends" figure out where we're at, so our comfort first and then that of any guests second. If, God forbid, we end up with a 4/4, we'll convert two of the heads into showers. If we end up with 4/2, we'll definitely make one cabin convertible from a workshop or storage to a berth and visa versa. If we do go with 4 cabins, definitely will try to stick with the 2 heads/showers in the center of the hull. That's the best layout we've seen short of the 3/2. Just my $.02 worth, although it's not even worth that because depreciation has already devalued it before it even left my pocket.

You don't need to convert heads into showers! Just shower in them. Most boats don't have tiny heads anymore, and you don't have to sit on the toilet, for heavens sake! I am fascinated by the intensity of this discussion. You will love whatever you get and find the best way to make it work. Not only that, but in real life it will seem logical and easy. Trust me. Then again, I was never drawn to nor lived in a McMansion, either. But, I do have a four cabin, four head boat that works well and sails better, and if you don't care about THAT, then save yourself the bother and buy a powercat or mobile home.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 17:25   #36

Boat: Lagoon 450 Flybridge

We traded from a 42’ cruiser 18 months ago to a 450 Lagoon. We had chartered a 400 Lagoon the year before with 3 other couples around the Whitsundays in Australia and were hooked on the space compared to the cruiser although we felt a bit cramped after 8 days with 8 pax. Our 450 is an owners version and love it, we love having friends aboard but we draw the line at 6 pax in total for sleep overs now including us. There is so much storage on these boats anyway and some times need to be creative for extra room but in general plenty. We are embarking on our first decent passage from Hamilton Island to Lizard Island return in July/August this year with some section one other couple the others 2 other couples. The other reason we went owners version was a lot of second hand 4 cabins have been in charter and chances are they aren’t looked after as well by the punters.
56FAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:39   #37

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmondl View Post
My wife & I are buying our first cat, and will predominantly use it for a several weeks at a time in the Caribbean and on the East Coast. The owner's version (3 cabin) seems most logical, but others tell me the 4 cabin is more desirable (despite the higher market demand for 3 cabin) because the 4th cabin adds more storage space, and is welcome when more guests arrive, whereas the larger shower, etc. of the 3 cabin is only mildly more comfortable and does not off-set the benefits of a 4th cabin. Three cabin owners: do you wish you had a 4th cabin? Four cabin owners: do you miss the larger shower/head?
We are a family of three and recently purchased an owners version, three cabin 40 foot Lagoon catamaran. We had actually looked at many four cabin versions because there are more on the market. However, on the 4 cabin Lagoon specifically I hated the fact that the bathroom shower was over the toilet. The Leopard cat however, four cabin version did have a small shower section separate from the toilet.

In the end we did find a beautiful non-chartered owners version and it has plenty of storage and also a beautiful much appreciated bathroom and closet area. The trade-off really does not come in lack of storage because you can store what you need in the forward hulls in the pontoons. Both Lagoon and the leopard usually have a forward v berth for additional storage and or sleeping. I can tell you from our extensive search that three cabin versions are hard to find and you will probably pay a premium once you do find one and hopefully you will recoup that premium when you sell.

As far as guests go, I tried to remember that the boat was mostly for my immediate family of three at most times. We have had a family of four come to visit and we fit fine the seven of us. We put the mom and dad in the additional third bedroom and we put their children in my sons room while he took the forward V Birth.

Overall, I would recommend the three cabin version if you can find it. The Lagoon is a very comfortable sailing cat. The real trade-off is that it does not sail Close to the wind.
KimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 17:24   #38

The hard part for me is that most of the 4 cabin versions seem to also have 4 heads. I have no issue with using the forward cabin on the owner's side for storage. Seems a good place for kiteboards, mountain bike, other large gear. I wouldn't want to liveaboard with the small cramped heads on a 40' with 4 heads though. I think I'd be just as happy either way with a 3C/2H or a 4C/2H. It would still be an owner's hull, just with different compromises. An extremely spacious head and less storage versus a reasonably spacious head and much more storage. I do prefer the separate shower in either of the 2H versions. The extra large shower in the owner's version would be nice but not necessary.
MountainKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 19:48   #39

Boat: Colegate 26

3 cabin every time. The larger master cabin and master head is GREAT if you're spending any significant time on board.

If you need more storage space, don't get a boat

Everyone overestimates the number of guests they will be receiving. Two guest cabins is a LOT.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 18:36   #40

Boat: Lagoon 420 Cat 42'

3 cabin is the bets choice for resale value if you can find a good one. We made offers on 3 owners versions but ended up with a 4 cabin due to limited supply after the hurricanes wiped out much of the inventory. We are converting ours to a 3 cabin to make room for the comforts.
joesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 19:37   #41
JKP

Boat: In 15 years hopefully a Lagoon 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesail View Post
3 cabin is the bets choice for resale value if you can find a good one. We made offers on 3 owners versions but ended up with a 4 cabin due to limited supply after the hurricanes wiped out much of the inventory. We are converting ours to a 3 cabin to make room for the comforts.
Joe sail, please keep us update on the project and costs. Many on this forum ponder the route you are going with few hard data points.
JKP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin