Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2016, 21:02   #1

2007 Lagoon 570 sold for less than $450k - what do you think, guys?

This boat was "pending sale" yesterday, today it's "sold"

Catamaran 2007 Lagoon 570 Catamaran For Sale

Considering there should be some negotiation involved, it's gone for less than $450k. Seems more than reasonable to me, what do you think?

I guess, I should say 'Hello" at first - I just joined your great forum, this is my first post.

As probably many of you, I seek and tired of urban life and rat race, and thinking about changing it. Idea to buy a boat came to my mind just recently, after watching SV Delos videos (and many others). I already have read (or watched) A LOT of information about this lifestyle, boats etc. Almost instantly I decided, if this change in my life will ever happen, it will be multihull boat.

Couple words about myself, so hopefully this post will start making sense.
I'm in mid-forties, electronics engineer by education, but was working on cars most of my life (anything and everything - from rebuilding the engines to rebuilding salvage wrecks, mechanical, body work and paint involved).
I can build house from scratch (all trades) if needed. I have welders, plasma cutter, compressors, full set of mechanical and power tools, I can repair plastic etc, etc. So I'd say I'm "a little more" than handyman.

By saying that, I can and would do almost all work on the boat myself, excluding only heavy work when I can't do it physically.

Now, I've already have read a lot of information on this forum, and I know what you might tell. "Lagoon 570 is too big, too heavy and too slow" I know there are many good older performance cats out there.

But, my points are:

1. I do NOT want and WILL NOT sacrifice space and comfort of own home.

2. As stated above, I have a lot of nice tools, and I would turn one of the rooms on the boat into little shop. As you might guess, nice set of tools is heavy.

3. I would FOR SURE carry watercraft on board, just for fun. This is another payload, which probably a little too much for smaller cat.
And no, I wouldn't make "a lot of noise on anchorage", I'm not a kid (well, may be just a little bit .

4. I would possibly invite some friends (or even try to make few bucks letting nice people sail with me). From my point of view, big luxury cat is always more attractive (we're talking luxury vacation, not performance sailing etc).
5. One of the things I would do right away - conduct and install solar-wind system and big bank of batteries, sufficient enough to run whole boat on sunny and/or windy days. Again, bigger boat has more real estate to place say 10 solar panels 280W each - that's 2800W max, and 4 wing generators 1500W each (that's another 6KW max). Plus, when possible, replace all devices and appliances with modern efficient ones.
6. I probably can make few other points, but let say - big modern luxury cat just looks good to my eyes - as little house .

So what do you think, guys? Any "mega cat" owners here? 55'+? Opinions, thoughts?

I mentioned that Lagoon listing, because it's probably at max of what I'd spend if I finally decide to go ahead. After all, there are many extra fees and expenses will be involved anyway, not to mentioning following expenses.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 23:07   #2

Boat: secondarily boatless
Re: 2007 Lagoon 570 sold for less than $450k - what do you think, guys?

Hey Ranchero,

I really love the Lagoon 570, they are fast and they really sail upwind, even better than our 470. However, we sail around the world as a couple, and handling the mainsail of our boat in a squall or reefing in bad weather is probably the maximum I could handle. So my recommendation would be - try before you buy. There are quite a few 570s in the Caribbean (none out here in Hawaii where we are currently) so you can have some first hand experience.

You did not mention anything about sailing experience - if this will be your first boat, pick an easy ocean to gain experience...

Oliver
Oliver L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 23:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver L. View Post
Hey Ranchero,

I really love the Lagoon 570, they are fast and they really sail upwind, even better than our 470. However, we sail around the world as a couple, and handling the mainsail of our boat in a squall or reefing in bad weather is probably the maximum I could handle. So my recommendation would be - try before you buy. There are quite a few 570s in the Caribbean (none out here in Hawaii where we are currently) so you can have some first hand experience.

You did not mention anything about sailing experience - if this will be your first boat, pick an easy ocean to gain experience...

Oliver
Thanks for reply and advice! It's good to know that 570 not a slow boat!
I don't have experience of sailing so far. If this dream will ever come true - I definitely will start in easy place to gain experience.
One of my thoughts so far - try to find folks who would be interesting in crowdfunding and getting some great vacations on luxury boat in return. From what I can see so far - it could be unbelievable deal for some people, who doesn't want to spend hundreds of thousands for partial ownership with all complications and headaches coming with it, and
don't want to spend $20000-$25000 for 1 week on mega cat either.
We'll see, it's just the beginning .
Old 18-02-2016, 04:24   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, ranchero.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 05:02   #5
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Wow, a floating village.

I want one.
Old 18-02-2016, 06:41   #6

What do you mean by watercraft? A SeaDoo? You'll have a dinghy so not sure what else you would want and or need.

If the 570 calls to you, figure out how to get out on one for some sailing. When I started down the path a year ago I thought I wanted a Lagoon 52, St. Francis 50, or Saba 50...until I actually stepped foot on them. They are a lot of boat especially for beginners like us. Like other people have mentioned here before there are 50+ foot boats that don't have the livable space of some 40 footers. Its all a series of trade-offs...as an engineer myself the number of variable is staggering when you weight them all out.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 08:04   #7
cruiser

That Lagoon 570 looks like a lot of boat for the money. My wife any I wouldn't have too much trouble adjusting to the added space.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 08:21   #8

Boat: PT-11

Those old Lagoon 570s are NOT slow.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 08:28   #9

A "watercraft" can weigh 700 to 900 pounds - where exactly would you put them?
paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 08:56   #10

Boat: 2010 Leopard 46

As already stated, get some time on boats before getting too firm on decisions. Especially boats on your 'short list'. There are a number of web sites where opportunities are posted for crewing. If you have some experience and a flexible schedule you will be able to find boats needing crew where it won't cost you much. Often you pay your transport to/from boat and maybe a daily contribution of $10 to $50 per day. Or maybe no contribution. Next month I will start my 4th such crewing experience. (first was in Sept) I could not imagine putting down my $$ without spending the time. You learn so much and can have a lot of fun as well.
Looking4Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 09:27   #11

Boat: 38' Beneteau Moorings

I am also an Engineer - sailing must be in our genetic code along with tinkering...
I never would bring 'nice' tools on the boat as the corrosion happens much faster than you would expect.
With wrenches and screwdrivers it is not and issue as craftsman and snap-on generally replace anything you hand them (although it is hard to exchange in the middle of the Atlantic).
Pliers and vise grips never seem to fair well.
Keep that in mind when you store them and use whatever tools you bring aboard.
tikirawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 12:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
What do you mean by watercraft? A SeaDoo? You'll have a dinghy so not sure what else you would want and or need.

If the 570 calls to you, figure out how to get out on one for some sailing. When I started down the path a year ago I thought I wanted a Lagoon 52, St. Francis 50, or Saba 50...until I actually stepped foot on them. They are a lot of boat especially for beginners like us. Like other people have mentioned here before there are 50+ foot boats that don't have the livable space of some 40 footers. Its all a series of trade-offs...as an engineer myself the number of variable is staggering when you weight them all out.
Yes, I mean jetski. I know there's dinghy on board, but it's utility thing. Jetski is for fun, and fun is one of the reasons why people start living on boats, am I correct?

I know, layout matters. Have you seen this Lagoon 570? There are plenty pictures and videos on Net. I'm not saying it has best layout in the world, but like other guy said - it's a lot of boat for the money. There's newer Lagoon 620, but it's just overkill for me in all terms, including size and price. Anyway, thanks for reply, this is what I need - different opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfish View Post
A "watercraft" can weigh 700 to 900 pounds - where exactly would you put them?

This is one of the my questions too. I did some research. Apparently,
there are few options. First af all, I wouldn't buy heavy watercraft, instead, would get light and fast one. I found some people who were carrying jetski just like dinghy. But other guys say it's bad idea - to have heavy object hanging in the air, I agree with that. Things are easier on bigger cats with hydraulic platform for dinghy, but still, I would lose dinghy or would have to find another place for it. Finally, I found at least one solution (on big Lagoon 620) - storing jetski on the special rail, on the steps at the back of the cat. I'm including couple pictures:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Neptune View Post
As already stated, get some time on boats before getting too firm on decisions. Especially boats on your 'short list'. There are a number of web sites where opportunities are posted for crewing. If you have some experience and a flexible schedule you will be able to find boats needing crew where it won't cost you much. Often you pay your transport to/from boat and maybe a daily contribution of $10 to $50 per day. Or maybe no contribution. Next month I will start my 4th such crewing experience. (first was in Sept) I could not imagine putting down my $$ without spending the time. You learn so much and can have a lot of fun as well.
Could you PM me with more details on this? VERY interested, but I don't believe someone with newer mega cat (2005+, 55'+) would allow me to be one of their crew for contribution $10/day

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikirawker View Post
I am also an Engineer - sailing must be in our genetic code along with tinkering...
I never would bring 'nice' tools on the boat as the corrosion happens much faster than you would expect.
With wrenches and screwdrivers it is not and issue as craftsman and snap-on generally replace anything you hand them (although it is hard to exchange in the middle of the Atlantic).
Pliers and vise grips never seem to fair well.
Keep that in mind when you store them and use whatever tools you bring aboard.
Well, if I planning to do maintenance myself, I will NEED a lot of tools. I'm sure, you guys know, even some simple work on car/ house/ boat require so much tools to do it quick and properly. Very often after job is finished you look at all the tools laying around and think - "what the hell, how come I needed THAT many tools for this simple job?!"
Regarding the rust - well, I guess, it would be just one more task to do - after job is done, wipe AND oil all the tools and store them in the dry toolbox. That's why I'd like to have dedicated dry room for shop and tool storage.
Old 18-02-2016, 16:01   #13

Boat: Lazy-Boy, fold out
Wink Re: 2007 Lagoon 570 sold for less than $450k - what do you think, guys?

Huh, and for a mere 57 footer!!! Thats about $449k more than I would 'WANT' to pay!!! Could get a decent Selene for that, and would not have to learn how to sail ........... ; >) Good luck.

Ted
Comox, BC
Comix Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 16:52   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comix Bay View Post
Huh, and for a mere 57 footer!!! Thats about $449k more than I would 'WANT' to pay!!! Could get a decent Selene for that, and would not have to learn how to sail ........... ; >) Good luck.

Ted
Comox, BC
Well, than, I guess, you have to be really rich to able buy fuel for it. I'm thinking about living on board and crossing oceans, not as weekend toy. I definitely not rich enough for such "toy".
Old 18-02-2016, 22:09   #15

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Ranchero, u seem like a fun guy and that is cool. Let me just be real straight with you. I don't think you have done the homework how much a boat like this costs to operate and maintain on a yearly basis. To say it is a ball breaker would be an understatement. Boats are not a linear mathematical financial equation. They are more like exponential...non linear cost versus size of the boat. I guess it is just my way of saying you better come really loaded.

Also you will have to learn that you can't take customers out on your boat without the licenses, coast guard inspections and certifications, business licenses, insurance costs through the wazoo, and it never ends.

Before you jump in....look hard and really close at what you are biting off. For example, do you know what the insurance company would say if they knew you were buying a 50 foot luxury cat and had nada experience?

Crew for someone, charter smaller boats, buy small boat, get the hang of things like navigation, anchoring, weather reading, seamanship, and only about a dozen more essential skills....it is said in the true spirit of friendship...and many on here would tell you that it is solid advice. Respectfully, Alan
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon