Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2017, 23:28   #46

Re: 2002 lagoon 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_sail View Post
Seems like the simplest conversion option is to ensure your battery charger can handle 110 and 220 (i believe most due) and then get an inverter large enough to handle all AC needs. What are the downside to this approach? (Other than sourcing parts)
If you are taking the boat overseas for 6months-1year, this is probably the best option. A bit of hassle if you need parts but likely much simpler and cheaper to do compared to a full conversion and then a short time later converting back.

Though on a boat of this size, you may be looking a 3 air/con units so that's a big battery charger and a big inverter if you want the ability to use all three. It could easily be several thousand. On a smaller boat, it's much more practical to get a 2500-3000w inverter that can handle a single air/con unit (typically the controlling load for inverter sizing).

Assuming it's a permanent move, sourcing parts becomes a much bigger consideration. For 1 yr, assuming all is in good condition at the start, you can assume limited repairs and the benefit that as soon as you return home, you are correctly set up for home voltage. But for a permanent 10yr ownership, most of the systems will likely need repair and/or replacement at some point. You either struggle with constantly dealing with oddball equipment or eventually, you bite the bullet and do the conversion. Then you have a big hit on resale value at the end as most people won't want to deal with oddball stuff.

If you aren't getting a significant discount why wouldn't you buy the equivalent boat with the local setup?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 00:22   #47

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Although I'm a Brit I had my boat setup for 110v/60Hz as I was planning to spend the early years based in the BVI. As soon as I left the BVI I found 110v to be a problem as far more parts of the world are 220v/50Hz than are 110v.

So I contacted the A/C manufacturer and checked if the units would work on 50Hz. They would but said I should always set the fan speed to high so I simply purchased a cheap step down transformer (about $100 in Sint Maarten) to go from 220v to 110v and the shore-power fittings to take the standard 220v/16amp cables and it worked fine all over the world. I did then find that the battery charger part of my charger/inverter wouldn't work off 50Hz so that was another $100 or so for a 25amp dedicated charger.

I wouldn't worry about what voltage a boat is setup for. It usually isn't expensive to get over the issues.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 04:20   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If you are taking the boat overseas for 6months-1year, this is probably the best option. A bit of hassle if you need parts but likely much simpler and cheaper to do compared to a full conversion and then a short time later converting back.

Though on a boat of this size, you may be looking a 3 air/con units so that's a big battery charger and a big inverter if you want the ability to use all three. It could easily be several thousand. On a smaller boat, it's much more practical to get a 2500-3000w inverter that can handle a single air/con unit (typically the controlling load for inverter sizing).

Assuming it's a permanent move, sourcing parts becomes a much bigger consideration. For 1 yr, assuming all is in good condition at the start, you can assume limited repairs and the benefit that as soon as you return home, you are correctly set up for home voltage. But for a permanent 10yr ownership, most of the systems will likely need repair and/or replacement at some point. You either struggle with constantly dealing with oddball equipment or eventually, you bite the bullet and do the conversion. Then you have a big hit on resale value at the end as most people won't want to deal with oddball stuff.

If you aren't getting a significant discount why wouldn't you buy the equivalent boat with the local setup?

Thanks for the info this seems like the approach for me on a simpler boat (no genset 1 or less AC units) and even if I buy a 110v boat I have to deal with the issue when I travel to 220v locales. Also the 220 boats in Europe are about quite a bit cheaper at the moment.
surf_sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 04:30   #49

The other consideration I think is that it's probably a lot less hassle to get 220 parts in the US/PR/USVI/BVI vs. getting 110 parts in some small island without easy Amazon/eBay shipping. So for world cruising boats it's best to opt for 220?
surf_sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 04:40   #50

You can pickup a boat like that now for 130K, walk away the price is too high.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 07:29   #51

Boat: Lagoon 410

This is what i plan to do
mfotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 14:55   #52

Hello all, haven't had a chance to post in a few days been quite busy. We just got home and spent the day at the Annapolis spring sailboat show. It was quite interesting.
It was a much smaller venue than I thought it would be, but there were some very nice and knowledgeable people there and also a bunch of bullshitters.
We met a broker that had a few cats in the 40' range and went to the marina where they were slipped to do some recon.
What we found were 4 of the most horribly dilapidated boats that I have ever been on. They ranged from 2000 to 2006. I would not have taken one even if they were giving them away. Smelly, water damage everywhere inside,hulls with tons of marine growth on them and the guys father was the quote "handyman that does repairs and maintenance" which made me laugh because there was zero evidence of any maintenance at all.
I feel much better about the boat that I'm going to have surveyed in a few weeks.
The one good thing is that there was a lagoon 410 that we were able to walk on and we liked the size and layout.
Xtalpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 15:03   #53

Just some info on the 220v. I'm an electrician and I just recently did some refit of equipment that involved changing some or our field eqipment. We had 220 panels that had the some type of breakers that I've seen in some sailboats( Merlin Gerin). I have no issues with their quality but check that what you have is still available for replacement. We had some that were not available anymore and that could possibly mean a new panel with breakers.
Old 30-04-2017, 15:18   #54

Sorry for the bad grammar. Lol
Old 01-05-2017, 04:45   #55

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtalpowell View Post
Hello all, haven't had a chance to post in a few days been quite busy. We just got home and spent the day at the Annapolis spring sailboat show. It was quite interesting.
It was a much smaller venue than I thought it would be, but there were some very nice and knowledgeable people there and also a bunch of bullshitters.
We met a broker that had a few cats in the 40' range and went to the marina where they were slipped to do some recon.
What we found were 4 of the most horribly dilapidated boats that I have ever been on. They ranged from 2000 to 2006. I would not have taken one even if they were giving them away. Smelly, water damage everywhere inside,hulls with tons of marine growth on them and the guys father was the quote "handyman that does repairs and maintenance" which made me laugh because there was zero evidence of any maintenance at all.
I feel much better about the boat that I'm going to have surveyed in a few weeks.
The one good thing is that there was a lagoon 410 that we were able to walk on and we liked the size and layout.
We went to the show on Saturday, but first visited the Sailaway marina and looked at the cats they were selling, however our main reason was to take a close look at the Bavaria Nautitech Open 40 as it's one of the boats on our "future short list." It is a great boat, and while I can see some folks might not like the helm setup, I wouldn't have issues with them.

The other boats were quite used, although the Jaguar might be interesting to update if it could be had for a good price. In all fairness to the marina, the owner of the Lagoon has let the boat just sit for a few years, puts no effort or money into it and won't drop the price.

We then looked at the Seawind, and while we still like the boat for what it is, we removed it from our list as we don't like the cockpit setup, and other boats appeal more.

Best regards,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 16:57   #56

We looked at the seawind also and did not care for the layout either. It was a nice boat but just not what we want.
The broker we met is Tommy smith from sail away catamarans.
I would steer very clear of this guy and anything he is promoting. He told us that he would like to be our broker for buying a boat.
That is hilarious after seeing the garbage he is trying to sell people in Annapolis.
Old 01-05-2017, 17:59   #57
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
2002 lagoon 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtalpowell View Post
We looked at the seawind also and did not care for the layout either. It was a nice boat but just not what we want.

The broker we met is Tommy smith from sail away catamarans.

I would steer very clear of this guy and anything he is promoting. He told us that he would like to be our broker for buying a boat.

That is hilarious after seeing the garbage he is trying to sell people in Annapolis.

Couldn't agree with you more, wish we would have steered clear, but I do like the Seawind.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:20   #58

We have come to agreement on the price with the owner of the 410 in apollo beach WooHoo!
We are going to have a survey and test sail done later this month.
The financing should be in place by the end of this week.
Even though we have not been on the boat in person yet the owner has taken very detailed videos for us and we did walk around on the other lagoon to get a good feel for the space.
Also spoke with a guy that has just purchased a 410 out of charter and he is very happy with his new boat.
Old 02-05-2017, 14:43   #59

Boat: Currently in between

Congrats, it is a good boat and I think you will love it!
Old 02-05-2017, 15:35   #60

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

The 410 is a good choice. We have no regrets and would have bought another one.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon