Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2016, 17:53   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Orana 44
1988 Shuttleworth Advantage 44 - Too old?

I'm looking to buy a cruising cat and there is a 1988 Shuttleworth Advantage 44 on the market as a reasonable price, but I am just not sure how long I can expect a 28 year old hull to last. The listing says "43ft6x27ft 8 x 2ft 6 x 6000kg fibreglass foam sandwich with vacuum bagged isophthalic resins on divynicell core with carbon fibre in the beams and 2 layers of kevlar below the waterline".
Any thoughts, comments on this. Should I be wary or does this have potential?
browone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 18:55   #2

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45
Re: 1988 Shuttleworth Advantage 44 - Too old?

Browne, I can't comment specifically on Shuttleworth, but I would point out that plenty of people don't question the seaworthiness of 1988 mono hulls. If they were indeed using composite construction, as your posting suggested "Carbon Fiber.....Kevlar...." Than it would suggest quality composite boat building. Probably a lot better than most 1988 vintage mono's that didn't utilize these materials, yet are still highly regarded.
Four Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 20:26   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

In truth, the boat in question isn’t that old. Especially if she’s at all been well looked after. Plus, John Shuttleworth definitely seems to dot his I’s, & cross his T’s fairly well, before his designs/plans go out of the door.
Especially given that he’s pretty thorough about running Finite Element Analysis (FEA) on them. So that all of the various parts work well with their neighbors, & that there aren’t any “hard spots” in the boats.

The use of FEA results in the boats being a lot tougher & longer lived. And LOTS of his racing designs have competed & done well in many, many, truly Brutal races, with very little in terms of damage to the boats. And they've been doing so for many decades.
As, for example, just recently, a 30’ish year old racer/cruiser tri of John's was sold, & all of her owners raved about her. Especially how well she did in heavy weather, in spite of her age, & light weight construction.
It was Damiana I think, a 40’er. She’s on his website http://www.shuttleworthdesign.com/ga...p?boat=damiana

Also, especiallly, read John's articles. The technical ones in particular.

But there’s another member on here who has a boat much akin to yours. rgesner is his handle. She’s a foot shorter I think. But it’d likely be worth talking to her owner on the topic.
I ran across him & his boat here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-159840.html

Also, given your level of concern about the boat’s integrity. In addition to the standard types of surveys, you could also have a firm which does Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) of composites, come out & inspect the critical bits. In order to make sure that they’re still in good shape.

Plus, you could talk to John Shuttleworth directly with your concerns. And if you feel that it’s worth it, you could see about hiring him to inspect the boat. Albeit, that would be kind of pricey, given that you’ have to spring for; his time (including that spent traveling), his travel expenses, his food & lodgings, etc.
Still, even if such cost you a few thousand $, it’ likely be worth it. For peace of mind. That, & the fact that his survey would likely add a bit of resale value to the boat later on.

BTW, I'd be curious to know what the outcome of this is, & what you learn along the way. Especially as I've always been a fan of Shuttleworth's boats. Albeit, not so much of his illogical love affair with open bridgedeck designs for most of his cats, but...

PS: This is just an idea which popped into my head, as in right now. But you could talk to another multihull designer or three, & tell them that you're looking for a boat. But are concerned about age, & wear. And then ask them what are the most critical bits to inspect, why, & how does one do so.
Plus, when you are inspecting the boat; on your own, & with the various surveyors, take your video camera along (in addition to your personal survey checklist) & record everything.

Thus, you can review the tapes later, & or show them to other surveyors, designers, or folks wth more knowledge of boat construction & evaluation than you possess.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 20:43   #4

Assuming no problems show up during survey, wouldn't be concerned. Fiberglass hulls from the 50-60's are often still in good shape.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 21:14   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

BTW, to give an idea of the strength of some of his designs. This one flipped over at somewhere north of 25kts, due to a jammed main sheet, IIRC. And from what I recall, the damages essentially consisted of the spar being ripped off.
Tekron 50 Article
There are a few articles about said event out there somewhere.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:14   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, browone.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:49   #7

Boat: C&C

There's no doubt the design and designer are of the best integrity ! His designs when properly built have proven this! The question is, who built the boat, did he know what he was doing and was it built properly!?!? Back in 1988 there weren't too many boatbuilders even using that technology with those materials, let alone someone in his backyard attempting it. Was it built in a recognized custom shop or as a project by an individual? I would be leery of the latter and definitely have it carefully scrutinized!!! Good luck with your search for a boat!
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:17   #8

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Not sure which boat you're looking at, but unless it's homebuilt (and those could be nice as well) most likely it'll be fine with some caveats:
1. Find out who built it
2. Have it surveyed by somebody respectable in the multihull community
3. I would NOT ask other designers - they "can" be extremely competitive

Don Wigston has a Spectrum 45 listed that may still be for sale. He's a great guy, and can give you some solid advice. I'm guessing that boat could be had for somewhere around $160,000

John Shuttleworth is a nice guy and a great designer, although his designs are fairly intricate and require some skill to build. I've lusted for his boats for many years; if not loaded down, they fly!

Best of luck!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:20   #9

Should be OK for inshore cruising, but never take a multihull offshore. They tend to flip over!
billburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:33   #10

Boat: Custom sailing catamaran

Never take a monohull offshore. They tend to both sink, and flip over! ����
KJThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:35   #11

BILLBUUR

I am tired of hearing that prejudice.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:46   #12

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28' NERISSA

Never take a monohull offshore. They tend to both sink, and flip over! ����

Plus the lead keels fall off
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:57   #13

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

I won't take the bait for the mono vs multi; been around to long to enjoy prejudice on either side. The proportions of sailboats that flip over are similar, and usually for similar reasons. Monos will sometimes roll back upright...multis don't sink, etc....

That being said, treat a 1988 multi or mono the same way - make sure it's seaworthy before going anywhere - bay, coastal or offshore. A well designed and cared for sailboat can go anywhere [U]it's designed for[U].

Call Windcraft and speak with Don - he does this for a living.

Let us know what happens.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:28   #14

Boat: 2010 Leopard 46

I spent a month on a 1990 Shuttleworth 44 late last year, going from Georgetown Bahamas to Puerto Rico. Nice boat in many ways. Handled some pretty rough bashing on the N side of the Dominican Republic (before we got smart and followed the advice to do that coast on night sails). Very seaworthy boat and the space was well laid out. Position of winches and jammers was good but we did have to go to the mast to reef the main. That could easily be different with another Shuttleworth. As others have said, it really depends on who built it and how it was maintained. And what equipment they put on.

Also, the galley was down in the stb hull. You need to decide if you like galley up or down. It did mean there was plenty of space in salon for a table with ample seating and a separate, good sized, nav station. It took me a while to learn not to bump my head going from cockpit to salon. (I am 5 ft 10) And sometimes it was difficult to raise the daggerboard.

One thing I did not like was access from the cockpit to the stern. Across the back of the cockpit is a crossbeam that is vertical inside the cockpit but at a 45 degree angle facing aft. In 3 places there were small steps (about 10 inches wide) to help, but it was tricky going from the cockpit to the stern.
Looking4Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:40   #15

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Orana 44

Thanks for all the replies. Really good feedback, and very helpful!

Will be going aboard for an initial inspection today and will post comments when I get back.
browone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shuttleworth