Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2007, 17:22   #1

Your opinions please

Greetings all !

After a fair amount of research I believe I have found a boat I like to buy for a years (min) cruising in the Caribbean, but before I finally part with the hard earned $$$ I like to make sure there isn't anything I will go on to say I wish I'd thought of that before I bought her.

I'd love to hear your opinion and thoughts as to why she might or might not be a suitable boat, or just throw in the pro's and cons maybe there's something I haven't thought of yet......

I don't know what i don't know!

My wife and I plan is to head south from Ft Lauderdale in December.

By the way the boat is a 2002 Beneteau 423 (2cabin)

Thanks Tim
Tim Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 18:05   #2

Maybe post a link to it? A lot can happen in the five years since it was cranked out of the yard. Have a good survey done, and go over the results, detail by detail, with someone you trust or who knows boats.

All boats, including new ones, have good and bad qualities. Just know which ones are which, and stay on top of the bad ones.

But if you worked hard enough to afford a boat, and you've got a head on your shoulders, you'll be set.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 20:37   #3

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Whaley
Greetings all !

After a fair amount of research I believe I have found a boat I like to buy for a years (min) cruising in the Caribbean, but before I finally part with the hard earned $$$ I like to make sure there isn't anything I will go on to say I wish I'd thought of that before I bought her.

I'd love to hear your opinion and thoughts as to why she might or might not be a suitable boat, or just throw in the pro's and cons maybe there's something I haven't thought of yet......

I don't know what i don't know!

My wife and I plan is to head south from Ft Lauderdale in December.

By the way the boat is a 2002 Beneteau 423 (2cabin)

Thanks Tim
Yo Tim,

this looks like a good choice, and a nice late boat.

Normally one would make an offer-to-purchase contingent on the successful outcome of several important items:

* Sea trial.
* Rig survey.
* Engine survey.
* Hull survey.
* Obtaining financing (if required), and insurance.
* Finding moorage (sometimes).
* Clear title.

Finding persons qualified to help you with the above is good insurance. Check the history of the boat to ascertain it is not a recovered wreck or hurricane victim.

Good luck.

best, andy
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 21:15   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Tim,

Good luck on your purchase.

As you know I believe 36 LOD is the longest ideal cruiser. Beneteaus are not at the highest end of the quality scale for bluewater and are mostly designed for charter company trade. Lots of berthing space and not much as far as bluewater gear.
However, if your 423 is fitted for cruising then it could be a good deal.
Again, good luck in your choice. As I remember you are coosing a very large boat for family reasons?
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 21:18   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha again Tim,
You didn't mention a dollar amount. Do you think you are paying too much?
Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:30   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

I can't place the exact model, but IMO these are all pretty much of a muchness (no offence meant)........from what I have seen of these sort of boats I would have no fundamental problem in using one for extended periods - and indeed I would be more than happy to spend a year on one crusing around the Caribbean . IMO it does some things better than others, and some worse - but that is applicable to all boats.

Never been to the Caribbean (Note to myself, must get to Cuba before Castro departs and it gets McDonaldised or turns into Haiti).......but from what I have read over the years and as you have time to plan your island hopping around the weather then I think the boat would be eminently suitable. Not to say you couldn't take her accross to the Med at a later stage.

IMO It all boils down to, how much, what condition she is in and very importantly how much and what sort of equipment she has on board - ie how much will you have to equip her for your intended use. Crunch the figures and you will have an answer.

Also IMO getting a boat that is well known / mass produced will be easier to sell on - depending on your plans. Some of us do have a tendency to buy boats to last for the next 97 years, even if we never keep them 97 months .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote