Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2016, 09:51   #31

Re: Yorktown Sailboats

Thinking of buying a 1978 33.5 Yorktown sailboat. Is there a way to tell if it was a kit or factory made ?
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 13:26   #32

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

short answer is no. some, but not many kits where fitted out better than factory, most as good and some very poorly. "factory built" doesnt mean much with this brand. proper survey will tell all...
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:23   #33
edk

I came to this site requesting information on how to fix a leaking keel on my Yorktown (39' cabin model). I already had the delamination "patched" once and now we're leaking again! I hope "dandkg" is still out there because I would like the number of the man he recommended here in L.A. I also live across the street from where my boat was built (Wilmington, CA). Or if anyone else knows of someone who can do the resin emulsion on my keel let me know.
edk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:28   #34

if you search this and other threads youll find my solution to the problem. its not too difficult a job depending on the source of the leak. hardest part will be hauling and drying out. pm if you have more questions...
Old 07-06-2016, 09:42   #35
edk

Thanks. Yeah, that's the problem. After patching the delamination I was advised to try and "pour" epoxy into the keel pocket until it was full. Problem was I'm a live aboard and had to drop her back into the water immediately. Pouring acetone into the pocket and letting it dry properly would probably require a month's stay in an expensive yard. That's why I'm looking for the gentleman dandkg used. Perhaps he has a better way to handle it?
Old 07-06-2016, 11:52   #36

i remember talking to them a while back about another issue and im almost certain they hauled for this job. the beauty of acetone in this case is its volatility. its pretty easy to warm the keel from the outside and actively drive the moisture/fumes out and the warm glass/concrete will ultimately help the goo penetrate deeper into the void. maybe a week in the yard if your organized. i really dont see how to do the job correctly with boat in the water.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:58   #37

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwilk37 View Post
...the beauty of acetone in this case is its volatility. its pretty easy to warm the keel from the outside and actively drive the moisture/fumes out and the warm glass/concrete will ultimately help the goo penetrate deeper into the void....
Sounds like you are building a bomb.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 19:30   #38
edk

Re: Yorktown keels

I live on a 39' full cabin model in Wilmington two blocks from where the keel was originally filled with concrete. Now it's delaminating. Can you guide me to anyone who can deal with the problem at a reasonable price?
Old 12-01-2019, 19:33   #39

wheres the delam, and how extensive?
Old 12-01-2019, 20:02   #40
edk

Pretty much a two foot space midway down the keel all the way around. It has lead to cracks which I've had repaired three times. Now water is seeping up for the fourth time so obviously this doesn't work. Don't know if there's anything short of reglassing the keel which would exceed the value of the boat.
Old 12-01-2019, 20:06   #41

yeah, one of the many problems with yorktowns. the only solution is haul, dry, cast and re-glass the bilge. its a big job but not impossible as a diy. if you can wait a year, my yard in san diego will be available.
Old 13-01-2019, 07:57   #42
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanzone View Post
now now... lets not get crazy.

i have owned 2 yorktown 41 one of which i took a sledge to the keel to recover the lead at the end of the chop down. i pulled about 400 lbs of lead out of the concrete. the keel is a sign of the building budget as the lead was everything from block to used automobile wheel weights (loose) to tin cans full of mixed / loose lead.

both of mine were built like tanks and have different problems.

the 1st had 14' of tile counter tops in the galley including. i needed a forklift to move the 3 55 gallon trash cans worth of it when i ripped it all out.

the 2nd was just unpredictable...i started cutting out a bulkhead which was glassed 3/4" ply in some areas and an 1" of solid resin (sometimes with cloth, sometimes not) in others.

both needed attention around ports and hatches as there were prone to leaking and rigging... well... yeah.

if you get tired of sailing her, you could throw a square dancing party inside... they are just huge and built for giants with close to a 7' span between sole and head liner.

they ride pretty high in the water and tend to pitch and roll a bit (which i think is generally the case with a center cockpit but dont know that for sure).

this is a great boat for traveling with kids (or people you dont really like) because there is so much room for their size and a lot of privacy.

making a list for you from my experiences...

1. check the chain plates
2. check for leaks and resulting soft decks around deck hardware
3. search out the 'non-marine' quality hardware (plastic ball valves on thru-hulls etc)
4. play a game where you scratch your head and guess why the builder / PO did whatever craziness you discover.

i have torn down both of mine and can answer a lot of questions...

gl.

-steve
crazy??? honey, i WATCHED hank lay the hulls and i WATCHED hank mckune affix the encapsulated keel to the hull and i WATCHED a as concrete was poured into these boats. hank became a friend while my 42 was being laid up, then he was hospitalized for 5 way bypass due to heart attack and coronary occlusions. he was 78 in 1990.
before i hired him and contracted with him to build me a 42 in 1991, i had bought and w=owned living aboard an dbegan repairing a derelict olympian 34, his most gorgeous model. his boats are proven to be bullet proof an dare definitely able to sail rtw. proven and seen during passages.
i was planning to write a book about the old coot but i never finished plan a before he became too frail to lay up boats. 21 hand laid layers o ffg roving and mat alternating with plenty resin, and a 1/8 to 3/8 thick gelcoat.
now. who is crazy?? me watching the layup or the one attacking me for saying that which i have said which has proven and witnessed|????
i held residence within 1 mile of his yard for 3 yrs. i know his boats by smell. he built victory 21, still in use today as a 1 design racing success. he was an olympic gold medalist in sailing.
so. tell me again who is being CRAZY???!!! hahahahaha have youbeen to hanks yards and have you seen h9is work up close and personal???
\yes they UGLY .. he and charley morgan had a contest to see which made uglier boats..hank mckune won that contest yes. but morgan was close second if you look at the boats. hahahahaha
at one time, in early 70s, hank had production line and made over 1.5 million bucks, at which time he shut that down and went smaller. probably assisted in that by the folks who disliked him enough to sue for that which they thought they didnot receive, and some for which they didnot receive--is why i became friends with him, so i could monitor the progress instead of paying for nothing, as many apparently have in his past. when he left wilmington cali for oregon., his keel mold was in my storage, prevented from his possession by my ex hubby refusing to pay the storage rent despite having that money in his hands from my income. (yes jerry, mark did that. he put my rent in his nose during his secret methamphetamine days while i worked hard to get the misstress peace built. surprise surprise tweakers can be fat. he was perfect example. why do you think i left the sick narcissist????) my misstress peace was rudely sawed to bits by mark after i spent 50,000usd total on her construction, masts and some other parts.
mr mckune, aka hank, was never taken seriously due to the fact that kit boats denigrated his mels diner finish he did with his factory finished specials. there is a special place in yacht construction for hank mc kune, as he was a headliner for long time.
his victory 21 continues to be a winner.

ALL old boats have issues. to compare a n old boat to a new one is a fools errand of ignorance. as hanks last boat to be constructed was mine in 1991, there WILL be chainplate issues among other general issues common to all older boats.
your pitching and rolling come from improper loading . they love weight. racers tend to remove needed weight for their own ocd issues.

as for discerning a factory from home build-- hanks factory finish included a mels diner blue vinyl cushionry and standard interior.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 09:12   #43
edk

[QUOTE=robwilk37;2801123]yeah, one of the many problems with yorktowns. the only solution is haul, dry, cast and re-glass the bilge. its a big job but not impossible as a diy. if you can wait a year, my yard in san diego will be available.[/QUOTE

Thanks so much for your help. especially since I was replying to a ten year old post. I'm seventy now so I'm afraid the answer is another boat. Anyone interested in this one can reach me on this forum. It's my understanding that only five of the full cabin models we're built.
Old 13-01-2019, 09:13   #44

not sure what the point is in the above rant, it doesnt seem to move the conversation forward in any way. any de-lam issues you are having are likely due to the fact that the resin/cloth ratio was not correct or consistent. "plenty" of resin is not necessarily a good thing. your fix will require epoxy and modern cloth, but again drying it out first will be the key to success. theres just no way around that. and thats where the acetone speeds things up considerably. acetone displaces water and helps carry it away through evaporation. (try not to blow yourself up)
for the record, maccune never won an olympic gold medal. he built a series of boats called "olympians" but thats as close as he got. and yes, the 39CC is hands down the uglies duck in the fleet. but their owners love them still so...
Old 13-01-2019, 09:40   #45
edk

Sorry, I attached my reply to the wrong thread! I actually thanked you for the advice and opined that I am too old to make the necessary repairs. Sorry again for the slip up.