Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 21:31   #1

Yard Trailers...

As I shop for my first big boat, I've looked at a few that come on a "Yard Trailer" ( no plates, lights, or breaks). Are these just for storage, or do people use them to launch and haul out to avoid haul out fees?

Would you consider using a yard trailer like this to move the boat 180 miles from one town to the next? Would be some inclines and higher speeds. I can put lights and a plate on the trailer, but it still won't have breaks... Is it crazy to try moving a 10,000 pound boat on a trailer with no breaks? Any easy way to add breaks? Would rather not pay $1300 to move the boat.

Max Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 22:19   #2

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Yard Trailers...

No you need brakes on a 10,000 pound boat/trailer. Do yourself a favor and hire someone to move the boat, or the whole rig is likely to swap ends with your car/truck and land on top of you.

I tried to save a few $ by putting a hard dinghy on top of my painted Ford Taurus sedan once (no luggage rack or boat carrier) and ended up paying for a paint job after the load shifted underway. Different situation but same principle -- but in this case your stakes could be much higher.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 22:50   #3

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
If you have a twenty thousand pound truck, you can move a trailer half that weight pretty safely. Many states have regulations about what is needed on boat trailers. If you follow the laws, and use your head, you should be ok.

Moving a trailer without brakes, that is as heavy, or heavier than the tow vehicle, is asking for trouble. You should also read your vehicle owners manual.

I moved a 9,400 pound boat and trailer from the great lakes to Nebraska with a Kenworth semi. The truck weighs 20,000 pounds. Never knew the trailer was back behind us. Every weight station was closed on the way back, a good thing.
Old 10-06-2013, 23:23   #4

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Hard to tell, but it looks like the trailer has no suspension, axles solid to the frame?
If so, not a good idea for a 180 mile trip. 3 axles are also tough to tow, tires must skid in turns. Boat would take pounding too.
I would say don't risk it, $1300 doesn't sound too bad at all for such a big boat as this looks.
I assume you can't float it to the next town?
Old 11-06-2013, 08:05   #5

Boat: Celestial 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sail
Would you consider using a yard trailer like this to move the boat 180 miles from one town to the next?
No I would not.

I had a 9500 lb boat and trailered it to Canada and Mexico from US, but trailer looked nothing like this "yard" trailer. Would not get that trailer over 10 mph on flat ground, which is all it is made for.

No visible suspension, axles too far forward (will not trail right at any speed), no brakes are a few of issues. Might be temped if 2 or 3 miles (on back roads) but not 180 miles.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:39   #6

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

I did about 5 miles on the back roads at 4:00 a.m.. No brakes. No suspension. 20 miles per hour (violent hopping if faster). I will do this tow one more time and then my clandestine trailering will be done for good. I cant wait.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 June 246.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	432.1 KB
ID:	62327  
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 13:25   #7

Boat: Watkins 29'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sail View Post
As I shop for my first big boat, I've looked at a few that come on a "Yard Trailer" ( no plates, lights, or breaks). Are these just for storage, or do people use them to launch and haul out to avoid haul out fees?

Would you consider using a yard trailer like this to move the boat 180 miles from one town to the next? Would be some inclines and higher speeds. I can put lights and a plate on the trailer, but it still won't have breaks... Is it crazy to try moving a 10,000 pound boat on a trailer with no breaks? Any easy way to add breaks? Would rather not pay $1300 to move the boat.
Not a chance... That trailer looks like a death trap and would certainly land you in trouble. That's a 2" receiver on there and it too looks like it is ready to give up. If you try and break down or get caught by the law, or more likely both... it will cost you way more than $1300.
Old 11-06-2013, 14:26   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

It is the law in most states that a trailer of 3000 pounds or greater on public roads must have surge brakes. There is also a requirement in many states that the brakes must lockup if the trailer is separated from the towing vehicle. You would also need a vehicle rated for towing at least 10,000 pounds that has a Class 4 towing hitch, which means 5000 to 12,000 pounds. A trailer ball rated for 10,000 pounds is going to be 2 5/16 inch.

It would not take very long for the Highway Patrol to pull you over and cite you if you tried towing with anything less. They might not only cite you but require that your entire trailer be put on a large commercial flatbed tow truck, since it is an illegal vehicle and be removed from the public roads. This could get into the thousands of dollars just to get you off the road and not to your destination.

I think you are better off having a professional hauler move your boat but probably not on its existing trailer unless it can be upgraded to meet all the laws.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-brakes/

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 23:25   #9

Boat: Owens
Yard trailers are exactly what the name implies, nothing more nor less. A couple very low speed miles ok, anything more forgedaboutit.

As an alternative to a professional boat hauler contact a local heavy equipment mover for a quote. Easy move for a beaver tail semi, just back up and winch the yard trailer onto the deck tie down and go. Easy money for a pro. Will probably beat the $1,300 quote.

Regardless of how you decide to go don't even think of taking a yard trailer on the highway. A hefty fine and $2,000+ tow fee would be the very best and cheapest thing you could hope for in that scenario. Much cheaper to hire out.

Good luck in your quest.

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote