Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2014, 09:44   #16

Boat: Hughes 25 - Tulip
Re: Yanmar 2GM20

Are the injectors spraying or not? If the injectors are good, check the compression.
sammyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 10:19   #17

Boat: islandpacket

Yes, if you crank it to much you can back water into the cylinders. Your fuel lift pump cannot pump through the injector pump. You made no mention of bleeding at the injectors. If you have air in the injector lines it wont pump through. Just trying to understand your process.
Old 14-09-2014, 10:49   #18

Had the same problem with a boat I bought a while back. My brother who was a diesel mech in the Navy fixed it by replacing all the Rubber Fuel lines from the Tank to the filter and high presser pump. With new lines and filter element it was literally a $30 fix. He say's with fuel problems start at the source and work your way to the more expensive fix's most people don't know fuel lines rot from the inside out and won't change them until they leak on my boat they were both cracked on the outside and rotten on the inside even though the were not leaking. If the pickup in your tank is on the top don't forget check to make sure the tube that goes to the bottom of the tank is still attached and not cracked at the top (Had this happen too!) even a small crack will make it stop drawing from the tank.
Wildlandjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 17:34   #19

thank you everyone,

I've checked the oil level its normal, too the injectors out and cleaned them. (clean and in good operation) lines are not too old about 2 years and no cracking or rot. injector pump pulled off and cleaned. the only thing in the fuel system I haven't pulled off and looked at is the fuel p pump. the issue started when I changed oil and belt, but it started out fine. so while I was doing other repairs on while leaving the motor running with a very small load on the engine about 4 hrs. later the engine cut off and wouldn't start, so that when I went threw most of the system. after I cleaned and look at everything. I primed the diesel. then the engine would run away and nothing would kill it until I took off the line to the filter. I also looked and cleaned all filters.
green bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 18:23   #20

Green Bay I was answering the first post and not yours but after going back and reading your problem I may have found the solution when you removed the high p pump you moved the rack to see if it was free if you didn't put it back in the same position it won't engage with the governor lever See http://j30.us/files/YanmarGM&HMWorkshopManual.pdf page 154 The pin in the rack must engage the slot in governor lever 2 if it doesn't you wont have any way to shut the engine down.
Wildlandjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 15:48   #21

Boat: Hartley 30
Send a message via Skype™ to Hartley30

Make sure you start with the simple things, filters are the number one thing, change them check you air filter too, a rag or something may have been sucked up in there, unlikely but worth checking. Two, check your lift pump and the fuel solonoid is opening. Three, check there is no air in the system and you are getting fuel to the injectors and so on. Depending on your system, check your sensors. I am a Diesel Mechanic and most often I find it is the simple things.
Hartley30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 16:03   #22

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Hum... So have you checked the fuel pickup in the diesel tank for a clog. Also have you changed your fuel filters. Bleeding can take some time too...
Yes, these are the places to start (especially the pick-up tube.)

Tags
2gm, 2gm20, yanmar