Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-08-2011, 22:02   #31

Re: Yankee 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bob.

Good luck with the sea trial!
Thanks Gord. We headed out of Oceanside Harbor around 2:00 with light winds which picked up to around 8 knots once we were offshore. I was impressed with everything about this vessel. She sailed well under light winds and even better when the wind picked up a bit. Eight knots apparent wind, and she was doing 5.2 knots. Not bad considering the head sail I think is a 130.
She almost sails herself, so I think the rigging is well tuned. I've been sailing continuously since I was a sea scout and this is one of the most responsive and well built boats I've ever been on.
I am now her new owner.

Old 04-08-2011, 22:21   #32

Boat: Yankee 28

Excellent, congratulations!

I also thought she was a pleasure in light and heavy airs, but it's very good to hear that also from a more experienced hand.

The rudder mystery solved: with the boat on the hard, the mast was pulled for inspection and rigging, and they dropped the rudder. What they found was a solid-glass rudder which had a glass patch on the forward edge, sloppily applied atop old bottom paint, which had swelled and was bearing against the skeg. I'll post a couple of before and after pictures.

Old 13-10-2011, 00:11   #33

Anyone know what the PHRF rating is on the Yankee 28 (Pacific Dolphin 28)?
I'm really enjoying mine. We've had some very heavy rains recently and not one drop of water anywhere inside. Nothing more aggravating than a leaky sailboat.
Really the only improvements that seem to need to be addressed would be the lack of engine gauges. I think installing an engine overheating alarm might be the easiest solution. Have any of you Yankee 28 owners done anything in the way of installing engine alarms or gauges?
I appreciate any input.
Old 13-10-2011, 05:07   #34

Boat: Yankee 28

well, I still have some leakage below when it rains, most likely from where the portlights are bedded in their old gaskets. ugh. we're trying to figure that out.

I replaced all the engine gauges: temp, oil, volts and hours. But the original shift and throttle need replaced, because the shifter is stiff...and they designed this with the shifter on the port side, while the linkage is on the starboard side of the A-4. My solution is that I'm having another shifter and throttle installed aft on the starboard side, more convenient to the helm, and a straight run for the cable...along with a tach. Also, one other issue is that when I have the engine throttled down as low as it can get without stalling, I'm still going about 4.5 kts. - maybe the new setup will allow me to go dead slow.
Old 13-10-2011, 05:57   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther View Post
Anyone know what the PHRF rating is on the Yankee 28 ...
See PHRF New England Handicaps ➥ PHRF New England - Handicapping - Base Handicaps
Yankee 28 = 195

See also Carlís Sail Calculator
Sail Calculator Pro v3.53 - 2500+ boats

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: