Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2016, 06:22   #256

Re: Yacht type choice - Cultural differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
I beg to differ. These IKEA looking interiors for the most part are also IKEA quality, even in a $500K-1mil models. In each such boat I visited at a boat show I could observe the "quality" of the "woodwork". And I use the term woodwork very loosely as applicable to these boats, more likely "laminate work". Not to mention totally unseaworthy sharp angels all over, etc. But they are great entertainment platforms for many, no doubt about that.

PS may be EU builders as a joke send low quality samples to us 'mericans and back home you guys enjoy the real wood and better quality of joinery.
I doubt that the Contest, for example, has cheesy materials and workmanship in their new line.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:29   #257

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Sailboats need to have a very strong FUNCTION component to design....after all they are meant for LIVING IN and ON...
That's just it: most aren't. They're designed for day sailing and weekends plus the occasional vacation, as that is how the majority uses their boats. At least, as far as I can tell

When you look at all the sailboat owners, only a small percentage goes out on less then the best days for a nice, comfy sail, and even less people live on their boats full time, and/or feel the need to cross oceans with them.

They aren't so much designed for living on, as much as spending a limited amount of time at a time on - and usually either in a marina or sailing when it's nice out.

Methinks anyway

(My view could be distorted tho. When I visit a boat show and want to talk to the builders present, they either ignore me cos there's no sign of my husband (doh!) or they show me the galley and such. True story!)
Old 04-03-2016, 07:19   #258
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
That's something that tickles me.. made some mates during my time in Oriental.. there was 'Irish Pete', 'Italian Ann' and 'Jimmy the Jock'.. all 3rd+ generation.. reluctant to surrender their ancestors roots..
The English have it much easier.. everyone calls us bastards..
The last time I passed through Oriental I was sitting at the bar in the M&M and thought to ask some new friends if they had met "Boatman Phil". Now I know why I had no response. I should have said, "Have you seen that bastard!"
Old 04-03-2016, 07:26   #259

If I may generalize a bit more ...

I do love the UK and the Brits. And I bow to their superior mastery of the art of insulting people while sounding perfectly polite. An art I am forever trying to master

Oh - and crumpets! Wish I could buy those here ...

(I spent a lot of time in the UK in another life time, but only with the 'upper class' so to speak. Boyfriend was from the UK, and from money. Sounds a lot more fun then it is.
Have a lot more fun just sailing out there, or for a quick weekend visit to London.)
Old 04-03-2016, 07:39   #260
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Yacht type choice - Cultural differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
The last time I passed through Oriental I was sitting at the bar in the M&M and thought to ask some new friends if they had met "Boatman Phil". Now I know why I had no response. I should have said, "Have you seen that bastard!"
There-in lies the rub..
My nickname in Oriental was 'Turnaround Phil'.. sailed back 3 times to Alan's Sailcraft Yard for repairs.. and I mean sailed.. naff engine.
And there'd likely be more in memories at 'The Bean'.. my Internet Hotspot.
M&M's was more formal than the Pizza bar/restaurant we had dubbed the Twin Towers when it opened (old grain storage buildings converted)..
M&M's was an invite group thing mainly

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:42   #261

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
You mean a cave pub. By the interiors shown above you can see that one of the main objective of modern interior monohull design is taking away that basement look.

For that it is needed plenty light, clear furniture and port hulls with a view helps a lot and it is why they are used on modern boats but the interior is not the only important living space, on most sailboats, that are used on the "right" season on warm cruising grounds the cockpit is has important since most "live" there most of the time.

Regarding that the evolution of cockpit living space is clear. We can see that, also and taking as example the two boats that I have took as example regarding interiors, a Tayana 42 and a smaller Dufour 412:

It is obvious where the differences are in what regards living space that is hugely bigger on the smaller boat.

Even a Dufour 31 has more living cockpit space than a Tayana 42:

Even the girl looks like she is made by IKEA, Flat straight panels, cheaply built, no shape. Clean and modern perhaps, but no soul, no interest. No thanks. I like curves. I like history. I like my Tayana. I like my girl.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:46   #262

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Actually I am concerned with both the top sides and the interior.
I do spend a good amount of time down below and like the feeling of open and spacious more than dark and cluttered.
I much prefer the Dufour over the Tayana but definitely respect other peoples taste.
We don't have to all like the same things. That is why they make all those different colors of paint!
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:54   #263
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Even the girl looks like she is made by IKEA, Flat straight panels, cheaply built, no shape. Clean and modern perhaps, but no soul, no interest. No thanks. I like curves. I like history. I like my Tayana. I like my girl.

S/V B'Shert
IKEA girl..thats funny and true..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:14   #264

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post

Many of us "Yankees" tie Europe together because we are woven from many European threads.
Europeans tend to tie all US together even if there are some difference between a red neck, a New Yorker, a San Franciscan, a Bostonian or a New Orleanian. It seems that there are some cultural differences already, even if they all feel they are American. A bit like on Europe even if the differences are bigger, they all feel Europeans beside being and feeling Spanish, French, Belgian or whatever.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:15   #265

Quote:

S/V B'Shert
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:17   #266
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Yacht type choice - Cultural differences?

Old models = Rubenesque
New models = Esher

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:21   #267

Quote:
This made me laugh so hard, haha! Funny cos it's true

Quote:
they all feel Europeans beside being and feeling Spanish, French, Belgian or whatever.
So we're told often, especially by politicians who want us to support the EU. But I don't know anyone, here in the Netherlands or friends in other European countries, that actually feels European or even knows what exactly that means ...
On edit: my mother says she feels European, although she herself doesn't quite know what she means by that. But she likes not having to use foreign currencies so much anymore.

You feeling 'American' is like me feeling Dutch, not European
Old 04-03-2016, 08:22   #268

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
S/V B'Shert
Worst and worst, no there are also IKEA girls that's a big way towards prejudice since IKEA is associated with no interest and no soul.

IKEA is a brand that makes cheap furniture with a contemporary design.

Contemporary design has a story having is roots based on Modern art and on the Bauhaus. Thinking contemporary styles have not a history is plain ignorance.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:37   #269

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Contemporary design has a story having is roots based on Modern art and on the Bauhaus. Thinking contemporary styles have not a history is plain ignorance.
+1

Plus I'd rather have a flat natural girl than an all american girl that swallowed two full-size airbags and has lips that want to give birth to a rubber dinghy
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:40   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
+1

Plus I'd rather have a flat natural girl than an all american girl that swallowed two full-size airbags and has lips that want to give birth to a rubber dinghy
So true

Give me the one with less curves any day

Tags
enc, yacht