Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 12:31   #16

I was on my ex-father inlaws Morgan I/O and we was turning into the channel to the marina in baytown(before IKE) and we heard this go fast coming from behind us and he must have thought he could cut across the channel and go across the mud flats. Well we soon watch him rip his whole transom out and next thing he was a U-boat. Prolly took less than 3 mins. Well the coasties showed up and then we seen the cops waiting for him on the dock.Drinking and go fast boats never mix or boating for that matter. Luckily no one was hurt.One of the girls got bucked out of the boat but no injuries. Hmm those day boards are there for a reason I said as he walked by with his new jewelry on..the cop just laughed.
Outlawed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:46   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastOff View Post
Makes one reconsider what they have onboard as far as bilge pumps go! On my previous vessels i always kept the overboard barrel in the cockpit lashed under the tiller with clam cleats. One pull on either end of the line and it was loose and able to be lifted by it's strap into the water. 5 gallon top opening barrels are cheap, and give lots of flotation once in the water. The strap makes it easy to slip your arms under and bear hug it with no strength. I never used overboard 'bags' because they do not provide any additional flotation once you are in the water. I only practiced with the barrels and never had an occasion, thankfully, to use one on any of my vessels.

You know, thats a terrific idea!
Old 05-08-2010, 12:48   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Good thing you didn't have an aft cabin!!
One of the criteria we have for our new boat is a nice FORWARD cabin for us to use in port. We'd use sea berths or an aft cabin cruising but not on the hook - I'd rather hear the anchor, move less, and not be in the stern (call me scared).
Old 05-08-2010, 13:10   #19

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Healer52 View Post
One of the criteria we have for our new boat is a nice FORWARD cabin for us to use in port. We'd use sea berths or an aft cabin cruising but not on the hook - I'd rather hear the anchor, move less, and not be in the stern (call me scared).
I know how you feel. I got hit end on by a 46 foot Irwin while I was anchored. And in broad daylight, about 8 in the morning. The idiot was looking at a laptop in the corner of his cockpit instead of looking ahead. Following some track on the laptop! Maybe he thought it was radar. My boat was brand spanking new at the time. Just a few months out of the builder's yard. No matter how careful you are out there some idiot will make you realize that you're never really safe!
Old 27-09-2010, 10:35   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healer52 View Post
I don't understand - why would another boat be more likely to hit the stern than any other part of the boat?
vreference is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 19:10   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreference View Post
I don't understand - why would another boat be more likely to hit the stern than any other part of the boat?

Once hit, twice shy. It may not make any sense but it's the way we float.

Also, I like to hear the chain when we're on hook.
Old 27-09-2010, 20:05   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
I lost a plank on a 65' boat I was delivering once.... Gone in 90 seconds! We had lashed an inflatable to the foredeck as we suspected she might not survive the trip... we were right!
Old 27-09-2010, 21:50   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I know how you feel. I got hit end on by a 46 foot Irwin while I was anchored. And in broad daylight, about 8 in the morning. The idiot was looking at a laptop in the corner of his cockpit instead of looking ahead. Following some track on the laptop! Maybe he thought it was radar. My boat was brand spanking new at the time. Just a few months out of the builder's yard. No matter how careful you are out there some idiot will make you realize that you're never really safe!
This is a great example of why there should be an increased emphasis on proper navigation and seamanship and less on gadgets and steering with an ipad.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 09:24   #24

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Quote:
This is a great example of why there should be an increased emphasis on proper navigation and seamanship and less on gadgets and steering with an ipad.
Well said!

Tags
great lakes