Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 14:45   #1

Boat: motorsailer 17.7oa The Road
Yacht delivery costs from Calif. to Hawaii

Firstly thanks again for the advice on my previous post re importation costs. Searching this site for previous posts also gave valuable information.
I want to buy a 40 - 43 ft (early 90s vintage hunter or beneteau) yacht in Cal , outfit it and sail it to the pacific. however I dont have sufficient experience to skipper an ocean crossing. I was wondering if anyone could give me a rough figure for the costs involved in hiring a delivery captain/crew to join me for the sail from California to Hawaii? I realise the more I pay, the better qualifed crew I get. Has anyone had any experience of this in this location?
thanks Neil
neilrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 15:55   #2
Eternal Member

Neil,

You may find it difficult to engage a truly professional crew to take an early 90's vintage Hunter or a Beneteau on a trans-Pacific voyage/delivery. While virtually any boat afloat can, with luck, good weather, and a skilled crew, make long ocean voyages, these boats are not designed for such sailing.

Are you really stuck on these designs, or are you willing to consider boats which are more suited to ocean sailing?

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 16:36   #3

Neil,

Consider doing more investing the boat you want to do that voyage in. You might trade off size for cost and get a stout boat.

Then, no matter which boat you decide on, try going down the west coast on gradually longer runs to build up your skill set. It would be much easier to hire a skipper for a two day run than a crossing.

Then on the run, don't let the skipper do anything (well almost nothing), have him tell you what to do and why you need to do it. Be very outright when you are hiring the captain and you should be able to find one willing to help.

If you are going to be the captain, BE THE CAPTAIN! Don't give your power to some one else. It will be your boat and your life, don't cut corners to try to rush it!

Just my 2 cents...

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 16:41   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
And there were at least half a dozen Beneteaus in the tragic 1998 Sydney Hobart Yacht Race - and none of them sank. So don't believe all the twaddle you read!

One boat I know not only finished that race tht killed 6 but won its divison the next year.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:26   #5

Boat: Ranger 33
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
And there were at least half a dozen Beneteaus in the tragic 1998 Sydney Hobart Yacht Race - and none of them sank. So don't believe all the twaddle you read!

One boat I know not only finished that race tht killed 6 but won its divison the next year.

HEHEHEHEHEHE
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 13:42   #6

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I have done similar deliveries in the past with owners wanting to gain experience. It was a while ago but i think I charged $2 per mile plus expenses. Good Luck.
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:56   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
The run to Hawaii is really easy (reach in up to 25k the first 3-4 days, then deep reaching for for 3 days, then running the rest, with a few night-time squalls thrown in for excitement) if done during the summer months, and you should have no problem with a Beneteau on that run. Because it is such an easy passage (as compared to coming back to the coast), you should have no problem finding a competent skipper for $2/mile. He will want to inspect your boat and make sure that the rig, rudder, electronics, engine, and charging systems have not been neglected.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote