Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2015, 15:33   #31
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,772
Re: Yacht Club 101

Vinny,
In our area, HYC is the active racing sailors and younger families club

LYC is the I'm old and have money....let's hold a YC event.

TCYC.....you can't afford it. They don't have slips for boats anyway.

Of course these are generalizations, but for the most part hold true.




Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 15:36   #32
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 2017 - cruising west coast of Italy
Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Posts: 430
Images: 1
Re: Yacht Club 101

You're in Kemah - have you checked out the GBCA? The Rum Races are a lot of fun and you should be able to find boats that need crew.

We were in Seabrook Marina for several years. Lots of folks there who go sailing.

Cheers!

Steve
__________________

__________________
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 18:05   #33
Registered User
 
VinnyVincent's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Kemah TX
Boat: Newport 28
Posts: 331
Re: Yacht Club 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Vinny,
In our area, HYC is the active racing sailors and younger families club

LYC is the I'm old and have money....let's hold a YC event.

TCYC.....you can't afford it. They don't have slips for boats anyway.

Of course these are generalizations, but for the most part hold true.




Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thats hilarious, because I came to those exact same conclusions!....except HYC. I just assumed they were big name too and 'I can't afford it...I might check them out just to be sure that this YC thing isn't for me. Their location would certainly be a change of scenery.

Perhaps just moving out of marina del sol will be a huge improvement lol...kinda hard to find folks who are into 'boating' when you can't get your boat out of the channel half the time.

BTW I want to thank you again for recomending bahama rigging. I ended up having them rerig my whole boat for me. Alex also recomended i get involved in wednesday night sailing. Im not sure my noat is quite ready, so I am looking into crewing for now until I get the hang of racing.
__________________
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 18:12   #34
Registered User
 
VinnyVincent's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Kemah TX
Boat: Newport 28
Posts: 331
Re: Yacht Club 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
You're in Kemah - have you checked out the GBCA? The Rum Races are a lot of fun and you should be able to find boats that need crew.

We were in Seabrook Marina for several years. Lots of folks there who go sailing.

Cheers!

Steve
Seabrook marina was going to be a no brainer move for me, but they are currently full unless I get a larger slip than needed. Blue dolphin was my next choice, but Im not crazy about their fixed docks.
Portafino looks nice, but their slip ownership system seems a little odd and they are vague on the details.

All of this is part of what got me looking into yacht clubs with slips available..
__________________
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 18:40   #35
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,772
Re: Yacht Club 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post

Perhaps just moving out of marina del sol will be a huge improvement lol...kinda hard to find folks who are into 'boating' when you can't get your boat out of the channel half the time.

BTW I want to thank you again for recomending bahama rigging. I ended up having them rerig my whole boat for me. Alex also recomended i get involved in wednesday night sailing. Im not sure my noat is quite ready, so I am looking into crewing for now until I get the hang of racing.

There are three of us over at Watergate that left MDS for the same reasons that you've just listed.......that and I got tired of fixing our slip cleats, water lines, lights.....etc. And we're all in the same age bracket.
__________________
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 19:36   #36
Registered User
 
VinnyVincent's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Kemah TX
Boat: Newport 28
Posts: 331
Re: Yacht Club 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
There are three of us over at Watergate that left MDS for the same reasons that you've just listed.......that and I got tired of fixing our slip cleats, water lines, lights.....etc. And we're all in the same age bracket.
Yeah you pretty much nailed it. I like floating docks, but good god...back when I first moved in the first thing that opened my eyes was a 30' section of dock that broke off and was left for almost four months before they moved it from behind someones boat.
The end of my dock(j dock) is also about to break off and when this last tropical storm came thru, the methed out dock workers came around to 'secure' it with a piece of 1/4" nylon rope lol...you could cleary see where it would damage the boat behind it if the concrete broke, yet the marina office was getting remodeled while all this went down.
My opinion is they are waiting onthe next storm to come so they can cash in on insurance before they do anything at all to improve the place. A shame since I heard about how nice it was pre ike.

Anyhow Ill stop complaining. I just knew you could relate.
I would look into watergate but honestly it seems to have more amenities than i would use and is further from the bay than other marinas. I really like seabrook marina and am starting to consider buying a larger slip since that is all thats available.
__________________
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 14:15   #37
Registered User
 
VinnyVincent's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Kemah TX
Boat: Newport 28
Posts: 331
Re: Yacht Club 101

Stellar advice by everyone here, thank you so much!

I have already been asked to crew on a tartan 27 at tonight's local Wednesday night races. This is exactly the type of experiences I was looking for.
I plan to take the ASA classes this winter when the wind is stronger
__________________
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 14:24   #38
Senior Cruiser
 
bstreep's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX/Port Aransas, TX
Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Posts: 2,274
Re: Yacht Club 101

You might be surprised. Many clubs are very reasonable. Bay YC in Corpus Christi has a monthly membership of around $50.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
Bill Streep
San Antonio/Port Aransas, TX
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
yacht

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Club--Annapolis Sailors Club 'Hello' qe3philadelphia Atlantic & the Caribbean 0 06-12-2012 11:53
Bohol Yacht Club, Tagbilaran Boracay Pacific & South China Sea 4 03-04-2012 07:57
Yacht Club Memberships waterworldly Off Topic Forum 6 06-07-2008 08:08
To join a yacht club? David M General Sailing Forum 8 27-04-2008 16:01



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:07.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.