Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2013, 00:57   #76

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Yacht Broaches

Andrew,

Thank you for your thoughts. I don't know the answer either, and like the rest of you, I would have stayed out (or just sailed to Porto where there is a huge harbor that probably would be safe to enter). My question was a mind teaser.

But Portugal is not the only place it happens. Similar below, although here in Australia:

Australian River Bar drama: Five people plucked from high seas off the coast of Ballina on the eastern Australian coastline early in the morning this week, including the crew of the town's Marine Rescue boat, were lucky to have been found at all. This is according to the rescuing Jet Boat spokesman Elton Cummings

Three of those people are now in Ballina Hospital after the Marine Rescue boat capsized while trying to save the yacht, leaving them stuck on the vessel's hull for about an hour while the other crew member stayed in the air pocket.

The drama began about 1am when the Marine Rescue was called to help a vessel struggling to get across the river bar. The Marine Rescue crew tried twice to attach a tow-rope to the yacht, but each time the ropes got tangled in the vessel's propellers.

'Both boats were dragged out around the wall with the outgoing tide, and there was no time for the crew to do anything,' Marine Rescue NSW regional coordinator Stephen Reading told the local news outlet. 'They got hit by a couple of big waves and they were on the rocks.'

Mr Reading said the Marine Rescue crew and two crew from the stricken vessel were thrown into the water when the rescue boat flipped over. One of the yacht crew were caught in the air pocket under the boat. The jet boat was then called out about 2am to rescue the two crews.

At that point, the seas were running at between two metres and three metres, making it difficult to spot the yacht, the marine rescue boat, which was, by then, about two kilometres off shore, or the flashing beacons on the crew members' life jackets.

'It was only luck we found them upside down,' Mr Cummings said.

There were concerns about the crew member who remained under the boat and Mr Cummings said one of the Jet Boat crew was about to jump in the water to find him 'when he just popped up'.

The five people were transferred to the jet boat but, with so many people aboard and conditions so rough, Jet Boat skipper Mark Puglisi had decided they would not able to get safely back across the Ballina river bar.

A Life Saver Rescue Helicopter had also been called out, but was unable to winch the rescued crew members to safety in the rough conditions.

By then it was about 3am and some of the Marine Rescue crew were suffering hypothermia and showing signs of going into shock, so calls were flying to find another rescue boat that could take some of the rescued crew across the bar, or another helicopter that could winch them out in the rough conditions.

'We called the Water Police, we called another Coast Guard station and they couldn't get through their own bar,' Mr Cummings said. 'No boats could get out, it (the sea) was just too big.'

Finally, about 4am, skipper Mark Puglisi felt the rescued Marine Rescue crew could wait no longer and made the decision to run the jet boat ashore at Shelly Beach, where ambulance crews were waiting to take them away.

As for the yacht and the capsized Marine Rescue boat, both remain at sea and at time of writing neither had been seen.

Mr Reading said he believed that the Marine Rescue boat was upside-down and half-sunk off one of the beaches, and it was not known if it could be salvaged.

'Rescues in the dark and in bad conditions are always treacherous,' he said. 'Everyone is very shaken up.'

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 02:07   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
But Portugal is not the only place it happens. Similar below, although here in Australia:
It is a common problem if the entrance to a harbour is shallow. Close to home in Australia, Gippsland Port has the following permanent warning:

WARNING:
Masters and Skippers are advised that the Lakes Entrance Bar can be extremely dangerous to navigate and lives have been lost when boats have broached, swamped or capsized in the breaking surf. A Bar crossing should only be attempted by persons with local knowledge and night crossings should only be attempted by experienced skippers with extensive knowledge of the Bar.

Conditions are deadly when there is a decent southerly!

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 13:27   #78
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Yacht Broaches

Well.... news has dried right up here... maybe the German members have heard more... but here in 'Fig' its old news

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 18:15   #79

Boat: porta bote

Better late than never.

And here is the newest of the old news about the "Meri Tuuli"

http://www.well-sailing.de/fileadmin...MERI_TUULI.pdf

This is a pdf link to the Portuguese investigation which is also in English (after the title pages).
And as you can see it is kind of an informal investigation as the Portuguese do not press any charges in the police boat accident. The German authorities are still evaluating to press any charges against the skipper of "Meri Tuuli" or not.
Still a whole bunch of questions
but who gives ...

Martin
CHAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 02:30   #80

Boat: Skookum 53'

I am sorry to hear about the loss of life. Those rescuers do not have an easy job.
Old 17-05-2014, 03:05   #81
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

A word of advice to those navigating the W Coast of Portugal.. if the weather is iffy and your not sure about entry conditions into any of the ports (which all but a few have bars at their entrance) call up Roca Control... they are primarily Traffic Controllers for Commercial Shipping.. however they are also aware/informed of the conditions at Ports from Viana de Costello in the N all the way round to the mouth of the Guadiana on the Algarve..
I have always found them to be very helpful in my travels..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 17-05-2014, 08:32   #82

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
A word of advice to those navigating the W Coast of Portugal.. if the weather is iffy and your not sure about entry conditions into any of the ports (which all but a few have bars at their entrance) call up Roca Control... they are primarily Traffic Controllers for Commercial Shipping.. however they are also aware/informed of the conditions at Ports from Viana de Costello in the N all the way round to the mouth of the Guadiana on the Algarve..
I have always found them to be very helpful in my travels..
muito obrigado, ate' logo
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 08:55   #83
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Why do that? Just call boaty! 233-555-1212
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 08:58   #84
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
muito obrigado, ate' logo
De nada amigo.. boa viagems..

Tags
yacht