Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2010, 18:58   #31

I figure most of the older race boats are built to be abused and if they,re still going there pretty tough boats. Those are the boats I tend to like. I'm sure a NA 40, Morgan 40 would go anywhere you want to go. One caveat though, any boat can be broken if driven hard enough.

There is a certain Heritage 1 ton that is floating around the Pacific I believe. That is a Charlie Morgan boat that sold new for ~$30k,
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 20:28   #32

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
I will keep a lookout. Thanks Paul. I did notice that a lot of the mex boats did have more stuff like autohelm, radar, ground tackle than most US boats. But I am yet to find one with an extra $50K worth.
I didn't say $50k worth, I said $50k spent. And yes, many have spent that on refits before heading South.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 22:31   #33

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design
Hold up in a breeze?

[QUOTE=dennisail;440169]Thanks Jim! How did your Standfast cope with gale force winds? [QUOTE]

I helmed one with a full racing crew through more than 50 knots of wind indicated, astern and apparent, for over an hour. While it was not fun, the boat was steady as a rock...much steadier than I was. We started with a chute up and ended with a reefed main. I'd have one today as a Cruising yacht.
Old 27-04-2010, 22:45   #34
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I didn't say $50k worth, I said $50k spent. And yes, many have spent that on refits before heading South.

Paul L
What I meant was many of the US boats seem to be close to as equipped as the ones I have seen in mexico. There are plenty of US boats with decent nav gear and recent updates too. I am yet to see any that wont still require a fair bit of extra cash in either country.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 00:44   #35

Boat: SS34
My pick for resale here;

Mazatlan Marine Center SA De CV (Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico)

Hard to imagine its an '83 model. Perfect size and reeks of quality
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 01:44   #36
cruiser

Thanks Ramona. That is right in my price range and looks like a great boat. Has sea births heaps of electronics. I guess a minimal amount would need to be spent providing the major parts are in good condition.

Not sure how I missed it.

It would appear as though it should be a good resale, but I think Aussies like brand names and I doubt anyone here would have heard of finngulf. Either way any nice 34 foot yacht has to be worth 60K.

Look at what people are asking here 33usd for half shares in a similar style 34 foot yacht with less gear http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...aspx?R=8437022
Old 28-04-2010, 03:51   #37

Boat: deboated
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona View Post
My pick for resale here;

Mazatlan Marine Center SA De CV (Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico)

Hard to imagine its an '83 model. Perfect size and reeks of quality
dennisail - firstly you will have a ball but hasten slowly. The above boat is not going to fit the bill without a redesign. No matter what boat you buy it needs to be able to carry lots of water and fuel. Water can be made (Water maker) but fuel cannot and you will cross through the doldrums (no wind) Mark J has pointed out that you will be sailing to windward most of the time using the trade winds. Do not be frightened off Benne/Jeanneau but you need to pick the right models for ocean cruising they are not all built the same. I cannot advise as my experience is limited with these boats. Older cruising boats generally need loads of work and are not necessarily better it is just that most cruisers are old like me and have a love affair with classics like themselves. But I can give you a strong tip about the above broker at least the Mazatlan end Ray & Jeannette, real good people to deal with and can be relied upon to look after you. Give Ray a call, tell him what you are looking for $ etc and see what he can come up with. He will explain the difference in laws between buying in the states etc. Your probably making one mistake in that your looking for a boat with gear, (Radar etc) problem is usually half of it does not work or is at the end of its serviceable life, better to buy a bare bones cheaper yacht and fit brand new gear to suite your requirements.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 04:35   #38
cruiser

You raise some good points. Full GPS plotter, radar and instruments is about 10K. But would be reassuring that its new. I have been trying to find out about watermakers, all I can find is they are very expensive. At what prices do they start? How much water would I need carry for 2 people without one? Also I heard you can get an emergency hand held version which pumps out a trickle, but that would be a good backup if you only travel with stored water.

I do realize that a lot of these boats are way down on tankage. How many miles of fuel would be considered a minimum for a trip like this? Also my preference for fast boats is partly to do with the ability to go into the wind and sail when there is little wind, reducing the need for fuel. Also these type of boats tend to motor well with smaller motors therefore needing less fuel.
Old 28-04-2010, 04:56   #39

Dennisail, I apologize I haven't read the whole thread, but surely crossing from US/Mex to Aus is DOWNWIND - it was when I did it anyway.

On my Panama --> NZ trip the longest we spent without land was 27 days. We did sail very very slowly, and there were a few days with no wind. There were 3 of us on board and we used 350 litres of water. Bear in mind that most cruisers going a long way will have their decks loaded with diesel and water jugs anyway.

You should try one of those hand-held water makers before you consider buying one. I tried one once, it was basically useless in all but survival conditions and even then, of questionable value.
YourOldNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 06:57   #40

I ment to say down wind not to windward in my previous post.
Water useage is very dependant on personnal habits. Some like to have a shower once a day others never? When it comes to fuel this again depends on your patience some are prepared to sit becalmed for days on end others will start the engine as soon as the wind drops but I would reckon on 60us gallons as a minimum. Again this will depend on the ability to charge batteries without running the engine. Solar/wind generator vs usage? As I wrote previously hasten slowly! Loads to take into consideration. Look at the engine HP and age carefully as many are underpowered &/or old and tired.
Old 28-04-2010, 16:34   #41
cruiser

As far as I knew it was pretty much all with the wind and current Thats not to say we wont ever be stuck on a lee shore, or need to beat to avoid a storm. A boat that struggles to weather is not a safe one IMO.

I like to shower every day, and with modest tankage around the QLD coast that wont be a problem as water is easy to get. However on a trip like this I would rather shower in salt water than buy a $7000 water maker. I would probably carry the cheapest hand held one possible just in case.

I grew up cruising on 25 foot trailer sailer where our small bladder would last 3 people 3 weeks.. Fresh water was for drinking ONLY. You washed dishes in salt water and you never felt dirty as you swam in the ocean daily. Running out of clean clothes was a problem though, we normally just used rain to fill up a bucket and used that to wash clothes and top up our water.

The only prob I can see is a build up of dirty clothes and towels on a long trip. Does anyone here hand wash their clothes in salt water and how do they turn out?

I am fine with not using power too. I will be saving it for the autopilot and radar. I would get new batteries and ensure the engine charging and alternative systems are up to scratch. Most of the boats I have been looking at will cruise at a minimum of 6-7K, but this NA40 will do 10K with its 50hp engine! So I guess its fuel consumption at 7K would be about 1/2 gallon per hour? Giving a 840mile range with 60G. Thats why I asked how many miles of fuel you should aim for as a volume is pointless given some heavier boats would use much more and go half as far on the same amount of fuel.

I am not rushing into this, I wont be doing anything for around a year. Just doing research right now.
Old 28-04-2010, 18:14   #42

Your starting to sound like you know everything already so why ask others opinion?
Old 28-04-2010, 19:00   #43
cruiser

How so? Can you point out where I challenged anyone? Are you saying that the amount of fuel carried is a better measure than tank range? If so then why.

As for water usage I was just letting you know my personal requirements to better let people with more knowledge than me come up with suggestions for a reasonable water scheme based on their superior knowledge. IE no fresh water showers or dish clean up. If something I suggest is wrong or unreasonable please let me know. I am thinking aloud so it can be constructively criticized. Your last post was not constructive at all and I fail to see what your intention of it was.

I am probing peoples opinions to find reasoning and knowledge of WHY certain things are best. I find this is the only thing that is going to help me come up with my own solutions. Blind conformation never helped anyone gain an understanding. EG If someone says you need 60G of fuel min how will that apply to me and a boat I might own? Am I more worried about power generation or pushing trough the ITCZ?

I cant see how this is a bad thing? If I have come across as arrogant that was not my intention. I don't claim to know more than any one here.
Old 28-04-2010, 21:18   #44
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
all reports???????????????????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Thanks again guys. I have considered Beneteau and Hunter but from all reports these boats were certainly not designed for ocean crossings, to a much lesser degree than an IOR yacht. .
Horsefeathers! You've either been listening to "bluewater" salesmen, or listening to those who've listened to "bluewater" salesmen.

Go sail a large IOR yacht, and then go sail a large Beneteau, and then go sail a large Hunter. You'll suddenly realize how foolish it sounds to quote "from all reports."

The IOR rule penalized stability. That's why it died. The design of modern Beneteaus and Hunters reward stability. That's why they are the two largest boat builders left on the planet.

Gossip is gossip. Sailing is sailing. Go sail a few of these boats and then report back.
Old 28-04-2010, 22:02   #45

Simple on another thread you were the advisor. You are answering your own questions! 60gallons was a figure based on the type of boat size weight you had mentioned. So far we jumped from a 20hp to a 50hp engine so fuel requirements are also going to change. Just off subject slightly many places are not so keen on cruisers due to their reputation for being un washed and smelly grubs which makes it hard for the rest. As you have not even bought a boat yet I am not pointing at you.

Tags
Australia, morgan, north pacific