Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2014, 08:42   #91

Re: Would You Cross the Atlantic in Either of These?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
-------------

Harry had to work for his water, pumping a device to make fresh water from the sea for an hour and half every day.

Open 16 FIPOFIX - Open 16 FIPOFIX
anymore information on this thing? reminds me of waterworld
blazeit420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 08:50   #92

Products - Katadyn Products Inc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Katadyn_Survivor_4d274663ac6d2-500x500_grande.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	91535   Click image for larger version

Name:	landfallnav_2272_59757537.gif
Views:	148
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	91536  

Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 08:52   #93

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

The op asked about the 3 boats he presented, can"t anyone ever answer a direct question with a direct answer? He wasn't asking if we thought he had the ability to sail any of them across the atlantic. Whether someone has the necessary experience or has the ability to keep going when the going gets tough has nothing whatsoever to do with the size of boat. I witness all the time around the marina people preparing boats of all kinds for long trips. The more well heeled with bigger boats will sometimes spend years preparing their ideal boat which they probably arrived at through reading forums like this, some never leave, some don't make it far some actually fulfill their dream, likewise ive seen young couples buy a boat, do little to it and go and have a great time for a couple of years before starting a family. Its hard to forget that small slice of time last year when we had the Rebel Heart debarcle, Ronnie Simpsons Trip where he lost his rig in Hawaii having done all the right things preparing his boat including replacing the standing rigging before leaving Calafornia, while at the same time everyone was criticizing the hell out of the Russian guy with little sailing experience who sailed an unprepared San Juan 24 to Hawaii and then sailed back directly to California. The point being that the guy with the least experience, the least prepared and least suitable boat also had the least problems,hmmm. My guess is he also spent the least amount of time on forums seeking advice from strangers who may or may not know what the hell they are talking about.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 09:23   #94

Agree with Steve 100%.

My 1st boat was a US27, a production boat from supposedly average quality manufacturer whose parent company was Bayliner ('nough said). After I purchased her I was looking for a pro for some fiberglass work (I picked the boat up very cheaply basically for the cost of the haul) and stumbled upon a recent immigrant from Europe who turned out to be a well known small boat builder and designer (up to 40') in his small Baltic country with 40 years of marine work experience. We became good friends and he really taught me a lot with his vast marine and boatbuilding knowledge. The guy grew up on a small island near their capital city and from the age of 7 to 14 rowed and motored to school by boat, each freaking day, including winters, until they built a bridge there.

Anyway, while changing depthsounder we discovered that the boat bottom had so much fiberglass structure (2"+) near the keel bildge turn that the boat could be sat on its keel or take a grounding, which it did without any damage other than a small dent in the lead keel. Same held for much of the rest of the boat. Each time we poked at something we found another pleasant surprise. Both him and another marine pro pronounced the boat a good candidate for ocean crossing with some usual beefing up of standing rigging, etc. But they said that otherwise, structurally, the boat was very well built and still solid. Which was a big surprise for me considering I paid all of $400 for it 10 years ago and planed to use her as my 1st training vessel.

Unfortunately after about 3-4 years it became too small for me and my g/f and together with the diesel conking out and the need to upgrade 25 year old systems and with my plans to liveaboard in not too distant future I opted to sell her and get a bigger boat.

Anyway my point being that there are a lot of well constructed if not well maintained boats in 27-35' range and one does not need a Bentley sized budget to do ocean crossing or two. Those with more time than money will do well to look at the boats seemingly in need of TLC provided their bones are solid and can start going places for well under $10K altogether.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 10:13   #95

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

If we just answered questions directly, we would be the 'ask.com' support line, and expect to get paid for the answers. Here on the forum we can just express our opinions about any related topic..

I have never understood the appeal of being out in the ocean where the scenery is water, water, hey look, water, and over there water, and that is what you see for weeks. How interesting, but then you do get to swash around sometimes violently and get rained on, sometimes heavily, and have lightening, sometimes very close, so being terrified along with totally boring vistas sure makes a GREAT TRIP that everyone DREAMS of. :confused

Now coastal cruising is COMPELETELY different, see shorelines, visit places, visit people.
Old 13-11-2014, 10:34   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
If we just answered questions directly, we would be the 'ask.com' support line, and expect to get paid for the answers. Here on the forum we can just express our opinions about any related topic..

I have never understood the appeal of being out in the ocean where the scenery is water, water, hey look, water, and over there water, and that is what you see for weeks. How interesting, but then you do get to swash around sometimes violently and get rained on, sometimes heavily, and have lightening, sometimes very close, so being terrified along with totally boring vistas sure makes a GREAT TRIP that everyone DREAMS of. :confused

Now coastal cruising is COMPELETELY different, see shorelines, visit places, visit people.
Can't really disagree with you as passage making is not my favorite pass time although I've done more than my share. Maybe its like mountain climbing or some other pastime that seems odd.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 10:54   #97

Thumbs up Re: Would You Cross the Atlantic in Either of These?

can someone tell me what those emergency lifeboats are called that you pull a string and they inflate?
Old 13-11-2014, 11:11   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeit420 View Post
can someone tell me what those emergency lifeboats are called that you pull a string and they inflate?
They're called life rafts.

It occurs to me that we might be able to better advise you if you would share a little bit about what your background is and what your goals are.

The forum has a lot to offer and these kinds of threads often bring out some great info.

For example the Tiki 21 is an inexpensive catamaran that you could build yourself and sail across the Atlantic as others have safely done.

Cookie's Jester Challenge 2010
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plan view.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	91545   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6260047.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	91546  

Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 15:11   #99

Rimas has continued on and is now more than half way to Samoa:
https://share.delorme.com/RimasMeleshyus
Where's Rimas?
Rimas Adrift

I'd never attempt it the Tanzer 25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
while at the same time everyone was criticizing the hell out of the Russian guy with little sailing experience who sailed an unprepared San Juan 24 to Hawaii and then sailed back directly to California.
Steve.
kaptainkriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 18:03   #100

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainkriz View Post
Rimas has continued on and is now more than half way to Samoa:
https://share.delorme.com/RimasMeleshyus
Where's Rimas?
Rimas Adrift

I'd never attempt it the Tanzer 25.
Awesome, i love it, i hope he goes far, the guy is now pretty experienced and has made it a lot further than a lot of much larger, much more expensive and overly prepared boats ive seen leave our marinas. In fact he now probably has gathered a lot more experience than many of those on these forums that were criticizing him.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 03:29   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
They're called life rafts.

It occurs to me that we might be able to better advise you if you would share a little bit about what your background is and what your goals are.

The forum has a lot to offer and these kinds of threads often bring out some great info.

For example the Tiki 21 is an inexpensive catamaran that you could build yourself and sail across the Atlantic as others have safely done.

Cookie's Jester Challenge 2010
if i was going to buid a 21 foot boat i would build Hartley boat plans 'Hartley 21' sail boat
Old 14-11-2014, 22:25   #102

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Carl Alberg designed Pearson Triton. 28' l.o.d. Approx displacement 8500lbs. Production ended about 1967 with over 750 built. This type has been used for crossings and circumnavigations. Built like a tank - solid fiberglass laminations approaching 1" thick in places. 6' headroom in the main cabin. Comfortable motion in a seaway. My parents bought one in 62 - my Dad did a lot of research and found this boat had an excellent righting moment. Lots of them still around and can be had for just a little scratch.