Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 09:02   #61

Re: Would You Buy a Boat With Termites ?

@ Rebel

You may well be right, i am not argueing the rights and wrongs of the situation. All i am trying to do is to stop some one from ending up in a finincial mess.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:55   #62
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
cut the guy a bitta slack guys he has a very steep learning curve that can only end in tears if done half assed in a rush.......
Wasn't a dig at OP.........

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ies-76746.html

Appears that it's a good thing to wave wads of cash at a Vendor / Broker from the getgo - to save either of them getting off own backsides......for fear of being called a "Timewaster". Apparently "gullible idiot" is more socially acceptable to some......

....Instead of posting on this thread OP could have already paid for someone else's mistakes / misfortunes or stupidities. I guess with some it's all self, self, self .

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:55   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Wasn't a dig at OP.........

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ies-76746.html

Appears that it's a good thing to wave wads of cash at a Vendor / Broker from the getgo - to save either of them getting off own backsides......for fear of being called a "Timewaster". Apparently "gullible idiot" is more socially acceptable to some......

....Instead of posting on this thread OP could have already paid for someone else's mistakes / misfortunes or stupidities. I guess with some it's all self, self, self .

the saying "a fool and his money are easily parted!" comes to mind,but in this case,at least jon is asking for help,even if he does appear to be a wheel kicker............better troll on cf at zero expense,than be trolled by an unscrupuless broker in the real world........................

comment; keep on posting jon,and im sure you will continue to get valid opinions for and against the specific vessel in question.

though some posative progress on the project would be great,this now being the third boat that you haven't bought,after stating that you had!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:03   #64

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting View Post
Per AQIS web site

Important notes for vessel owners
  1. Owners should be aware that more than one inspection may be required to resolve the quarantine risk, depending on the complexity of the vessel.
  2. The AQIS timber inspector may need to authorise the use of alternative termite detection devices or dogs if visibility and/or access is reduced or restricted, or there is a potential quarantine risk detected or suspected within the structure of the vessel on initial inspection.
  3. AQIS timber inspections and alternative technologies for detecting timber pests are not available at all ports therefore you should contact AQIS to discuss availability options.
  4. AQIS will only undertaker timber inspections in safe conditions, during daylight hours and usually within normal office hours.
  5. Owners are responsible for the cost of all inspections and any treatments required by AQIS to resolve the quarantine status of the vessel, this includes the travel costs if an AQIS timber inspector/entomologist, alternative inspection provider or treatment provider is required to travel to the inspection location.
    (Note: to minimise inspection costs, vessels must be presented for inspection at larger ports when and where AQIS timber vessel inspectors are available).
Wow AQUIS are not using spell check, or do the employ undertakers? Ha ha

"AQIS will only undertaker timber inspections in safe conditions, during daylight hours and usually within normal office hours."

Agree with your comments ...Cheers
Old 05-03-2012, 15:26   #65

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I was confined to the Burnett river for 3 days till I could get a Termite inspector on board mine to check my Gemini out,

Termite inspector and the AQIS officer also had to be present while the inspection took place,

I had to pay for both of them,

Disobey AQIS and they can and will jail you, Plus fines, Plus, you can have your boat confiscated,

Which they have been known to do,

The problem with Termites, Unless you actually cut the timber up, You dont know how far they have gone through the timber,

Just walk away and get one that doesnt have Termites,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 16:05   #66

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I was confined to the Burnett river for 3 days till I could get a Termite inspector on board mine to check my Gemini out,

Termite inspector and the AQIS officer also had to be present while the inspection took place,

I had to pay for both of them,

Disobey AQIS and they can and will jail you, Plus fines, Plus, you can have your boat confiscated,

Which they have been known to do,

The problem with Termites, Unless you actually cut the timber up, You dont know how far they have gone through the timber,

Just walk away and get one that doesnt have Termites,
How much did the inspection cost you?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 16:57   #67

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

About $400-00 for the termite inspection and about $300-00 for the AQIS inspector,

And yes, They are very thorough,

And I do support what they are doing, Even tho it was expensive for me,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:18   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Little-Devil View Post
Just curious as to whether or not anyone here would even consider a boat that had termites aboard?
Yes, I would consider purchasing a boat with termites.

Previous posts are referring to more than one kind of termite. Try an internet search for either "drywood" or "Formosan" termite to help you identify what sort of problem you are dealing with. The frass, or fecal pellets, are often useful to identify what general group of termites you have and control/fumigation options. For California, check out UC-IPM

Termites Management Guidelines--UC IPM

Drywood termites are the most common found aboard sailboats, but just about anything will attack an old moist boat stored in contact with the ground. Orange oil fumigants are being used by exterminators as a less toxic approach for treating Indian drywood termites in Hawaii.

Be sure to confirm which and how many species of woodborers you have before deciding on a coarse of action to take. The carpenter bee referred to by Skiprjohn needs immediate attention unless you want your boat to have many randomly placed thumb holes suitable for supporting flag poles.

Also bear in mind that some species of termites swarm to light, so the presence of adults in your boat doesn't necessarily mean you have an infestation. Furthermore, some tropical hardwoods used in boats have the scars of old termite activity, often in less conspicuous places, but not indicative of a present infestation. Fresh frass at kickout (bore) holes are diagnostic of an exisiting active colony.

You might also want to research what kinds of fumigants are required in Australia and choose one for your tenting operation. Then keep complete records with you. The lack of fresh frass combined with your documentation of treatment might save you the cost of future fumigations.

Here's a recent story from Florida
Super Formosan Termites Attack Boat in St. Johns County | Video | firstcoastnews.com
Mahana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:11   #69
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Little-Devil View Post
I am told by the broker that termites are quite common in SoCal and that most boats have had them at one point.
I'm not surprised that a yacht broker would tell you this. I am surprised, however, that you would listen to him.

Did he also advise you that you'd better snatch this boat up quickly because the market of termite-infested yachts is about to rebound?
Old 07-03-2012, 08:16   #70
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Would You Buy a Boat With Termites?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I dunno. How do you feel about gonorrhea in your sleeping partners?
I just checked with a "broker," and he assures me that gonorrhea is quite common in SoCal. Nothing to worry about.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:30   #71
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Now thats too funny!!
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:22   #72

Boat: Pearson 281

...and mean. The op didn't say he took anybody's word for anything. If he had he wouldn't have asked. After spending a number of years hanging around boats here in SoCal I can also attest (as will many folks here)to the fact that drywood termite infestations are pretty common and it is a big maintenance issue. Any boat that has sat unattended here for awhile is likely to have termites particularly where the old softwood docks have not been upgraded to cement.
Not defending the broker... caveat emptor(sp?) and a GOOD survey will help find termite damage. On my current boat the PO tried to clean up the frass for the first inspection but missed a spot that he hadn't bothered to access. After taking a good look at the wood I countered with less just for the termites explaining that I would have to tent and then pay someone to inspect and restore wooden structures.
They will always go for the soft plywood cores first and move from there to harder woods. One reason I don't like mahogany is that the termites do but with them it's always the path of least resistance.
I like the suggestion about tenting just before taking off and saving all the paperwork
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:34   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

had a look on the op's blog and he has now withdrawn from the sale due to the termite problem.

if anybody has any leads to a blue water ready boat for sale i'm sure jon would be pleased to hear from you.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:48   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
...I like the suggestion about tenting just before taking off and saving all the paperwork
Please explain how this will save "all the paper work".

Honestly it doesnt matter a flying fruit bat what anyone but AQIS thinks if he brings a boat in to Australia.
Old 07-03-2012, 15:57   #75

Boat: Pearson 281

Allow me to clarify my post for you. I understood the suggestion of "saving the paperwork" to mean that retaining the paperwork from a termiting just before departure from another location would provide the Austrailian authorities with proof that the boat had been termited and that since the boat had been at sea (as established by the logbook)there would be very little if no chance of any new termite infestation.
I don't know how the agency works so I can't say for sure but it seems possible that this might save the trouble and expense of a full on inspection and fumigation by AQIS.
Okay?
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote