Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2015, 15:28   #1

Boat: Peterson 35
Would like opinions about Ericson 27' (1978)

By chance, I've an opportunity to buy an Ericson 27', but have no idea of their
sea worthiness or handling. Your comments about these vessels and any first-hand knowledge about them would be very helpful for my decision.

Thanks in advance.
partingclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:11   #2

Boat: Ericson sloop 27'
Re: Would like opinions about Ericson 27' (1978)

Doesn't appear to be much opinion on the Ericsons here. I guess they are all on the bottom; or everyone is out sailing them with no time to respond. I've some time because for the first time in 20+ years I broke my boat and I'm not out sailing... but since I'm recently retired I'm out & about in SoCal in my land yacht the USRV Dreamer visiting grandbabies and looking for parts. And if a response is still requested heres mine.
My understanding is that early Ericson's were made very heavy due to the early design of fiberglass being of the thinking of feasibly thicker to better serve structural integrity rather than the current thought of feasibly thinner to better move through the water. They both have a place with some sacrifices that are obvious. As for the heavier hull I am grateful, I'm kind of an adrenalyn sailor and prefer my boat holding up in high winds as my older boat did most recently when I broke it... but that's another story.
What did break was the spreader bracket when I took a 50+ mph puff I've taken hits before but this one put the the main around the spreader and wouldn't let up enough to ease it off. So I will attest to the rigging which I will assume is 44 years old (the boat has been on fresh water for the time I've had it, and the rigging obviously of high quality was not ill affected by its time on salt water).
I think a much lighter boat would have had her sails in the water with the hit the old Ericson took. So if you're into heavy wind, adrenalyn sailing the Ericson seems to me to be a very fine old boat.
pyroray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:24   #3

Boat: Westsail 28

Ericson has a reputation for building very good boats . A friend had a E27 , so I got to know that boat pretty well , I was always impressed with the quality and craftsmanship inside and out . And would that thing sail ! He and his family , (2 kids) would take it to the local Islands for long weekends . It dam near killed him when he had to sell it because of a job transfer .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:40   #4

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

I never sailed on one, but I see em around. Really nice boats. I think that the japan to washington state solo record is held by one.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:43   #5

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Record-breaking crossing of the Pacific in an Ericson 27?
Old 02-08-2015, 10:54   #6

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Ericson 27 has a good reputation but with any older boat it is all about the condition, maintenance and upgrades of the individual boat.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:05   #7

I lived on an 1970 E29 for three summers in chicago, and loved that boat. Very heavy and solid but fast and turned on a dime. The short season and expense here made me sell her, but I would recommend them highly. Pros were tons of interior and cockpit space, strong rigging and well designed sailboat. Cons were the worst portapotti like head "compartment" I have ever seen or used, and even though most of what people say about gas atomic 4's are untrue, I would still rather have a diesel too.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
friesian84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:56   #8

I have seen an Ericson 29 sink when the prop threw a blade and the vibration ripped the strut off the boat. After they got the thing back into the yard for insurance purposes a close look at the minimal amount of glass used in the hull and the extremely poor method of attaching the strut to the hull has me thinking I would never sail one in water deeper than six feet. It was the flimsiest construction I have ever seen.

A year or two ago I saw the Ericson that’s built to look like a real cruiser break the shaft tube out of the hull and nearly sink. Again, not heavy fiberglass at all but less than adequate and piss poor design.

Ericson 34 found the deck mounted hardware partially glassed in when they lapped the deck hull joint. Have to grind to remove the cleats if they ever loosen. Same boat the forestay chainplate had several dummy bolts that did nothing.

I am sure there are people who swear by the boats but I would not want one.
um saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 17:11   #9

Boat: Newport 28 II

I owned one for 3 years sailed it every weekend in the SF bay, well built but slow, too heavy, small rig, short waterline ect.
I would pass on buying one, way better choices out there.
Focus on the sail/disc number when looking at all those older racer cruisers.
Good luck
tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ericson