Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2013, 21:38   #16
Registered User
 
ElGatoGordo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kemah, TX
Boat: Jim Michalak designed 25' Caprice and Self Design 32' Shantymaran
Posts: 711
Even the generalizations in this thread are generalized. There are people who spend $15I maintaining plastic boats too, Sooooooo that info is silly and useless. Sooooooo is...I know a guy who's wood boat was eaten by worms....

Boats were made of wood as a rule for all of history until AFTER most of us were born. It's so tedious to say all these silly things bad about boats based on their materials. There are good and bad wood, fiberglass, ferro cement, steel, carbon fiber and paper boats. The issue is: what do you want? Then find a good one of those!

As for me, I build and as a rule use wood covered in epoxy/fiberglass. But I wouldn't buy a boat based just on hull material (or write one off)
__________________

__________________
------------------
Gordo
ElGatoGordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 21:46   #17
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Would I regret buying a Wood hull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
Even the generalizations in this thread are generalized. There are people who spend $15I maintaining plastic boats too, Sooooooo that info is silly and useless. Sooooooo is...I know a guy who's wood boat was eaten by worms....

Boats were made of wood as a rule for all of history until AFTER most of us were born. It's so tedious to say all these silly things bad about boats based on their materials. There are good and bad wood, fiberglass, ferro cement, steel, carbon fiber and paper boats. The issue is: what do you want? Then find a good one of those!

As for me, I build and as a rule use wood covered in epoxy/fiberglass. But I wouldn't buy a boat based just on hull material (or write one off)

Sorry, but the fact that wooden boats can be eaten by worms is important and points to the need for meticulous maintenance -- something I said in the post. Others made the point, too.

And, just because wood has been largely replaced by something else doesn't make the wood superior.

If you like wood, great -- get yourself a wooden boat, and I'm sure we'll all admire it. But wood does have its drawbacks and it does no harm to point some of the problems out. Is it more beautiful than fiberglass? If the wood is in poor shape and the fiberglass very well maintained -- no. But it can be spectacular.

I'm sure the hull material was just one thing the OP was considering. Probably the question about the hull reflects ... something he needed opinions about.
__________________

__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 22:20   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 153
Re: Would I regret buying a Wood hull?

Get girlfriend's dad involved in your decision. You could develop a real bond there and learn a lot. Wooden boats have soul.......you have to love them and tend to them.......you have to have someone in your life to teach you how.......
__________________
SailPenelope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 22:37   #19
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Would I regret buying a Wood hull?

You can do this, get the father to be your partner or adviser and save this wonderful (sometime problematic)sailing yacht..She sure is nice looking and you would be the envy of all boats where ever she sails good luck...
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 23:35   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,016
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
As for me, I build and as a rule use wood covered in epoxy/fiberglass.
Well ... Yes ... Covering a wood boat in fiberglass makes a world of difference. The difference in longevity might be centuries, the results are not yet in.

By that measure my boat is a wooden boat. By volume of material wood far exceeds fiberglass. She is balsa core and laminated plywood interior. I'll never have worms or need new screws or planks.
__________________
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 00:55   #21
Moderator
 
Boracay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pelican Bay, Great Sandy National Park
Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Posts: 5,175
Images: 18
Re: Would I regret buying a Wood hull?

Not with that much &^r@ wood!

If you must buy a wooden boat get something that will fit in your girlfriend's dad's garage. Say about 14 - 16 ft.

And something without sails.

Should keep him happy and then you can ...



... put put about the lake on those rare gorgeous summer days.
__________________
Rust never sleeps
Boracay Blog.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 01:01   #22
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,205
Re: Would I regret buying a Wood hull?

$$$$

4....99.9% of the people on this forum, I will say yes go plastic.

For the .09% that actually care, and take care of their boats...then it doesn't matter.

The hull is but 1 % of actual annual maintenance.

So if you can't take care of wood, then, you can't take care of plastic..steel...or, alum..In the end it really doesn't matter.

plastic/wood/steel/alum... we still have all, of the same on-board systems .

The hull is the least of our worries!







Unless, you, the unfortunate soul, purchased based on costs v. soul.

Cheap=bad value

Frugal=A smart Chance!!!

now we walk the fine line between cheap and frugal....


__________________
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 01:14   #23
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Would I regret buying a Wood hull?

Well...I personally do not find any reason not to try it...ya I know...call me stupid.... But if thats all you can afford...then that's all you can afford. Lets say you find a mid 50s to early 60s 38ft. woodie for $15,000. If it passes a survey for what it is, then why not? Lets say you got 5 good years out of her...What's wrong with that? At least you're doing your thing. I have build 3 steel sailboats. Two of them, my own. I would have been better off with a cheap woodie.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 01:24   #24
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,205
Re: Would I regret buying a Wood hull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I have friend who keeps a very nice and well maintaned 50' wooden powerboat on the chesapeake He spends $15000 a year on upkeep

I KEEP, FOR THE LAST 15 YEARS, a 52 FOOT WOODEN HULL........and no way do I spend 15 k annually for the hull.........hell I haven't spent 15 K in the 15 years I've owned her, for hull repair, as matter of fact I haven't spent 1K..... in the total of 15 years that I owned her.

Lloyd
__________________
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 01:30   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: sailing south
Boat: Ericson 35-2
Posts: 313
Re: Would I regret buying a Wood hull?

It's quite simple really. Wooden boat will require noticeably more time to keep up than a fiberglass boat of similar size. And if you fail to maintain her for several months, a fiberglass boat will show it cosmetically, but tolerate it structurally. A wooden boat will simply die.

So, as a first boat, wooden hull a big mistake in my opinion. Unless it's a discardable plywood dinghy, like a Mirror or something.
__________________
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 01:45   #26
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,205
Re: Would I regret buying a Wood hull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
It's quite simple really. Wooden boat will require noticeably more time to keep up than a fiberglass boat of similar size. And if you fail to maintain her for several months, a fiberglass boat will show it cosmetically, but tolerate it structurally. A wooden boat will simply die.

So, as a first boat, wooden hull a big mistake in my opinion. Unless it's a discardable plywood dinghy, like a Mirror or something.
RED-Herring=RedHearing
__________________
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 02:00   #27
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.
 
CSY Man's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.
Posts: 3,398
Images: 115
Re: Would I regret buying a Wood hull?

Quote:
So if you can't take care of wood, then, you can't take care of plastic..steel...or, alum..In the end it really doesn't matter.
Not so sure about that.
Having owned both wooden boats and fiberglass boats, I'd say there is a big difference in maintenance.
A woodie will self-destruct if not maintained and it is easy to become a slave of the boat, been there done that and it won't happen again

Sure they are nice to look at, they sail good and they have souls and all that, but the reason I sail is to get to the islands, get in touch with nature and to relax, not to worry about the boat and the expenses to maintain it.
A friend has kept a wooden boat in Florida for 9 years without doing much maintenance except regular hauouts. It tried to sink at the dock 4 times and only shallow waters kept it from disappearing for good.
He finally sold it for 10% of what he got into it, $90K down the drain, ask him about woodies...

Your mileage may vary and if you are a carpenter with tools and time, it could be a fun hobby.
If not, think twice before you get a wooden boat.
__________________
Life is sexually transmitted
www.odincharters.com
www.susanhanssen.com
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 02:58   #28
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,205
Re: Would I regret buying a Wood hull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Not so sure about that.
Having owned both wooden boats and fiberglass boats, I'd say there is a big difference in maintenance.
A woodie will self-destruct if not maintained and it is easy to become a slave of the boat, been there done that and it won't happen again

Sure they are nice to look at, they sail good and they have souls and all that, but the reason I sail is to get to the islands, get in touch with nature and to relax, not to worry about the boat and the expenses to maintain it.
A friend has kept a wooden boat in Florida for 9 years without doing much maintenance except regular hauouts. It tried to sink at the dock 4 times and only shallow waters kept it from disappearing for good.
He finally sold it for 10% of what he got into it, $90K down the drain, ask him about woodies...

Your mileage may vary and if you are a carpenter with tools and time, it could be a fun hobby.
If not, think twice before you get a wooden boat.
WELL, you said a mouth full

Quote:
I sail is to get to the islands, get in touch with nature and to relax, not to worry about the boat and the expenses to maintain it.
__________________
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 03:05   #29
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,205
Re: Would I regret buying a Wood hull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
I KEEP, FOR THE LAST 15 YEARS, a 52 FOOT WOODEN HULL........and no way do I spend 15 k annually for the hull.........hell I haven't spent 15 K in the 15 years I've owned her, for hull repair, as matter of fact I haven't spent 1K..... in the total of 15 years that I owned her.

Lloyd
__________________
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 07:31   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,848
Re: Would I regret buying a Wood hull?

Gordo. I gave one example of the upkeep on a large wooden boat talk about silly statement U. Espouse the virtues o f wooden boats and then you state you cover yours with fiberglass and expoxy. Now.that.is.funny. the undeniable fact is I wood hull will take much much more updates on a fiberglass hull.
__________________

__________________
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
buying, hull

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:28.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.