Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2010, 18:58   #16

Yep, close the hatches! And issue the eggs! All hands!
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 07:44   #17

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Yeh I hate people like that. Had a similar thing happen to me while motoring down Long Reach toward the Prince Edward Yacht club at Picton Ontario. Huge cruiser passes us at flank speed, about 20 feet off to starboard. My girlfriend got tossed around pretty good, some cuts n bruises. Everything on the galley counter ended up all over her and the cabin, as she was making some lunch for us. Anyway I got that guys name and port, reported him to the OPP. Don't know if anything ever came of it, never heard a word from them.

Some people are just too ignorant to be allowed out on the water, and I think eggs is a good way to get them. I'd prefer a Seasparrow but I'd get in too much trouble. Leave your eggs in a special location, and let them ferment. Then use them in good health, and may your aim be perfect.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 08:01   #18

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
I used to fantasize about having dual side mounted RPG's with radar tracking and lock at the waterline of the offending vessel.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 08:39   #19

Boat: Mirage 25 "Garfield"
To minimize rolling when I get waked by a passing boat,I stand in the cockpit with my feet spread as wide as posssible. When the wake starts to lift the boat I transfer all my weight to the foot on the side the wake is coming from,then do the same when the boat rolls the other way with the opposite foot.It really stops a lot of the rolling.My boat is 4400 lbs. and 25' long.

Phil
Philsboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 08:50   #20

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
A few years back, we were approaching the St. Mary's inlet in Florida on a 40 ft sailboat. my wife and daughter were sitting on the bow. A "Boomer" sub exited the inlet on the surface and accelerated at the sea buoy. These things are about 30 feet in diameter. A few minutes later the largest bow wake I've ever seen hit us bow on. The wave crested over the bow and my wife and daughter- a height of over 10 feet. Unfortunately the hatch was open. We survived without any damage. And you complain about little power yacht wakes!
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 10:09   #21

Boat: not much yet
On LOZ, this is a game with the big powerboats. Some of them paint "notches" on the sides of their boats to indicate the number of other boats they have swamped.
Scum does not cover it.
Ahnlaashock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 11:37   #22

Boat: Fantasia 35
Since the area that is unprotected is small and near the surface, maybe you could just use a brush to clean the area when needed.
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 13:08   #23

One moderately effective strategy is to have a camera with a really impressive telephoto lens in the cockpit. Old film cameras are very cheap on Ebay. As the powerboat passes, stand up and look like you're taking about 100 pictures. Be sure to aim at the guy driving (always a guy) and especially the guy's wife, if she's aboard.

This makes just about anyone uncomfortable since they don't know what you plan to do with the pictures. Make that VERY uncomfortable if she's not his wife

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 13:29   #24

Those of you who doubt the power of the camera when near power boats...

The picture below (including the carefully located black band) ran in the Boston Herald daily newspaper in 1999. It was title "booze cruise" and was a taken at the end of powerboat trip arranged by the director of the state airport and port ("Massport"), Peter Blute. The trip had been paid for by Massport as a "survey of Boston harbor". One of the three young lady actress guests who were along on the survey ( named "Gidget" - how could you ever make this stuff up??) pulled up her shirt for reasons that are still unclear but may have involved political enemies.

Poor Peter wasn't even on deck at the time but he lost his $120,000 a year job, his wife was reportedly really mad at him, and the whole affair can be found forever under his name in Wikipedia.

He now has a 6AM-9AM radio show on a small Worcester radio station.

Get those cameras out

Carl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gidget.jpg
Views:	985
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	17962  
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 13:33   #25

Boat: C&C 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Its really too bad some people have to be like that. Are these the same people who weave through traffic 30 MPH above the traffic flow? I bet he also had gold chains, greased back hair, mirror glasses, an aloha shirt buttoned down to his navel and perhaps a white nylon windbreaker...uh huh...I know the type.
Come on what do you have against aloha shirts...
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 13:52   #26

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
If you can retrieve the exact time from your GPS log or happened to note it, you can call the Cape Cod Canal Marine Traffic Control. They monitor and video ALL marine traffic on the canal.

Cape Cod Canal, Navigation, Marine Traffic Control

They will be able to identify the offender and probably have video of the incident. You are always being watched in the CCC.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 14:24   #27

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
Eggs! Really old ones! As hard as you can!
Paint ball gun filled with bright red OIL BASED paint!

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 15:15   #28

C'est La Vie

OrangeCrush has accepted that there is little he can do about this particular incident, and is more concerned about his yacht at this point. We all can empathize with his experience, and his initial anger about the disregard for the safety of his family is completely understandable, but he has no recourse except to care for his yacht, and consider preparation for "next time." I gather from the tone of his post that he is being as philosophical about the event as anyone could be expected to be, so Kudos to him.
  1. He doesn't mention having information on the boat, so we have to conclude that he doesn't; and even if he goes to the CG, he won't have much information to give them. That's a wasted trip.
  2. The material damages amount to some wet clothes, which is not damage at all. I don't believe that the power boater's wake/bow wave so frightened paint with good adhesion that it suddenly jumped off the boat. We all know that patches of paint lose their adhesion and fall off our boats occasionally, and that this is the result of natural chemical & mechanical processes. Even if it was that slap of water against the hull that delivered the final blow and removed the patches, they would have come off sooner or later anyway, as they were already loose. So in a legal sense, there's no damage/loss to be compensated for.
Having said that, the power boater was an irresponsible bozo who has little concern for extending common courtesy to others on the water, let alone recognize the safety hazard he is.

A camera, noting the boat's name and hailing port, and reporting the hazard to navigation over VHF are the three best pieces of advice, as I see it.

I guess the thing that surprises me the most is that the power boating community doesn't do more to police their own more agressively. This isn't finger-pointing: it seems it would be in the power boating community's best interest to be jealous of its good reputation.
Old 25-07-2010, 18:28   #29

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
If there's a southwest wind, we always put everything away, dog the hatches and bring out the weather gear">foul weather gear as we pass under the railroad bridge.

Carl
SW is the prevailing wind in Buzzard's Bay and RI Sound. That's why folks from Narragansett Bay head to Cuttyhunk and Menemsha, while CT and Southern RI sailors head to Block Island.

If a powerboat did that to me, I'd be all over him on channel 16. In addition to the CG, there are several police boats that cover the west end of the CCC and hopefully one of them would hear my tirade.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 18:45   #30

Boat: C&C 34
A way to avoid large power boats

Power boaters are generally waypoint to waypoint navigators with the gps. They follow the absolutely shortest route. About 5 years ago I started sailing about 1/4 mile of the point to point line. Hardly any power boats come close anymore.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote