Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2010, 18:54   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
When I see a big wake generator coming at me, I start driving erratically, taking up the whole channel...well in advance of the approach. This gets them to drop speed. They don't want my boat dinging their precious gel coat.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 19:10   #32

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post

I guess the thing that surprises me the most is that the power boating community doesn't do more to police their own more agressively. This isn't finger-pointing: it seems it would be in the power boating community's best interest to be jealous of its good reputation.
I think that's exactly what happens with displacement motor driven recreational vessels, to some extent it's true in the fast power boat community.. But, I do think there is a certain group of people who think individualism is somehow translated into believing that you can do whatever you want, especially on the water. There is also a sense that acting aggressively demonstrates to all that the person concerned is not some wimp. One American friend who is an astute observer of life in the USA, suggested to me that it's part of being a 'good old boy'.

I don't understand it because all the American people I've met in person have been really nice people. They may have been ambitious, very aggressive in business but socially and in the boating world, they've been real Ladies and Gentlemen.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 19:24   #33

Boat: Ericson 35 Mk III
I think we very nearly ran into your jerk-on-the-water down here in Florida back on Memorial Day! Most boaters aren't anything like that but these dingbats are still way too common! One live aboard that I know told me he's taken along a paintball gun to deal with these menaces. He would lay a line of greasy paint right there along their waterline. Slop up their shiny hulls. My son has one of those things so I'm just a bit too tempted to try it. Would feel satisfying, though.
SVMorningStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 19:39   #34

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
To Paint the Chipped Area.

To paint your hull, go to a slip where you can get your main halyard as far to port or starboard (opposite of the chippped area) as you can and tie it to a strong cleat. The farther away from the boat the better. Now winch the halyard until your boat heels over enough to get at the chipped paint. Sand a bit and paint it with bottom paint. It doesn't take long for it to dry enough to get your boat back upright (30 minutes ought to do it). Careening at a pier used to be a pretty common practice and still works if you don't have to go too deep with your repair.
Its best if you try to remove anything heavy from the side you want to paint before heeling the boat. Helps a bit.
Good Luck
regards,
Old 06-10-2010, 14:02   #35

Not to be the voice of reason but... I have a feeling that while proving fault over damages caused by a wake might be a little tricky, throwing eggs (or anything really) could land you in hot water almost immediately. And as far as paintball guns... that'll likely guarantee you a ride in a police car. Most states seem to have laws on the books regarding them at this point.
vreference is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 14:31   #36

Boat: 1968 Pearson Wanderer 30 - "Grizabella"
It was explained to me by a very experienced sailor that what most people don't know is that all sailboats have very large magnets built into the hull.

This is proven by the fact that motorboats constantly are attracted to sailboats and regardless of the amount of open water available will always pass by very closely.

Magnets, see?
ILikeRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 17:12   #37

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
"And as far as paintball guns... that'll likely guarantee you a ride in a police car. Most states seem to have laws on the books regarding them at this point."

Imho it would be worth every minute of it.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 20:51   #38

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day all,

Your roving reporter has the latest flash: That bozo now lives in Southport, Qld, and drives a big Riviera. His extended family has joined him, some with more Rivieras, and some with 500 hp jetskis. I think that all you folks still in the USA should be very grateful to the lenient bozo immigration laws here in Oz.

And I reckon that the aggressive egg and paint ball approach is pushing the limits of self defense a bit too far. What I recommend is buying a bunch of cheap floating polypro line, cut into about 50 foot lengths, and with a monkey's fist on one end. When the bozo is nearly alongside, throw a chunk of the line across his bow. He'll ride over it, and with any luck wind it up between his huge props. The wake will rapidly subside, perhaps too late to help you, but saving the next honest sailor down the channel.

Also works with waterskiers who use your anchored vessel as a turning mark.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Cairns, Qld, Oz
Old 06-10-2010, 22:00   #39

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Or a length of chain instead of the monkey fist. Ought to do wonders to the hull.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:28   #40
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
Power boaters are generally waypoint to waypoint navigators with the gps. They follow the absolutely shortest route.
true story .. they usually pass about 10 or 20 feet from the channel markers even though there can be several hundred feet of fairway and deep water available. if you are in that area then yes you are fair game and will eat their wake. c'est la vie.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:48   #41

Boat: Lagoon 380 - Times like these. Port: Mooloolaba, Australia
A potato cannon would also probably raise the eyebrows of the offending wake-maker……..

http://tom.2ub.org/docs/potato_cannon.html

Granted, that it’s just as likely to get you a ride in a police car as the paintball gun though………
Old 07-10-2010, 07:54   #42

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Dive gear...Socket wrench...prop...