Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-06-2006, 01:24   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
No offense to Macgregor owners. Sure they are great boats for a certain segment. The above was a personal opinion, of course.

But, man, they sure are ugly!

Old 12-06-2006, 02:25   #17

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Well I have to say a few words -
1st - I do like people who will voice their view. I have had too many people who just sit in the background and, then when I am gone, voice whatever.I am suprised that the moderator as not said something about this thread. Does not seam right for this forum.
I have looked at a lot of boats and finally decieded on a Mac. It is what I needed and the price.
I am not sure if I would declare a boat the worst because of looks but more of what it was doing. How many people was injured or killed doing what the manufacture said it would do and/or the number of repairs needed by the factory. I do not see much of that execpt for home made boats.

Old 02-07-2006, 19:41   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Allied Seawind II 32ft ketch
Funny..Sailboats didn't start to get ugly until I got my first one!
Old 02-07-2006, 23:15   #19
Kai Nui

Lynx, we try not to moderate general opinions. Every one has one, and there is someone to disagree with every opinion. Myself, I like the Mac's. Not for my own purpose, but for their intended use. As for the worst boats, I think it is very appropriate, on a sialing forum, to bring up the worst boats out there. FOr a newbe looking for his or her dream boat, we usually give lots of opinions on suggested boat, but to come up with a few that should be eliminated right out the gate could be a very useful thing. If you like Mac's, and sn does not, you should buy one, and he should avoid them you reasons for supporting this design are every bit as valuable as sn's for not. This could be a very valuable thread, and I am glad to see it.
Old 03-07-2006, 00:34   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Who said my boat was ugly
Old 03-07-2006, 19:18   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
I think one of the ugliest sailboats I've seen is the "Buccaneer 240".

Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 23:14   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Del, call area 51, one of their UFO's are missing.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 23:50   #23

Kai Nui - I do own a Mac. I can understand why of the forum. I just disagree with somebody saying something bad without stating why. (is this the defination of bashing?)As one should note - some of the boats that are not liked have VERY good prices on them and SOMEBODY can get on the water and go cruising very fast/cheep. This is the case with the Buccaneer 240 and other boats. However, it does not make it an unsafe boat if sailed in the recommendations of the maker.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:29   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Lynx, actually please accept my apologies seeing as I was probably first to make a negative comment. I am not intentionaly "bashing" but it's also not fair to make comments like that. Hey, any boat is someones pride and joy and at least they have a boat. Plus, as stated by someone else, those McGregors meet a need in both design and price. You can't complain about that.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:29   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Lynx, actually please accept my apologies seeing as I was probably first to make a negative comment. I am not intentionaly "bashing" but it's also not fair to make comments like that. Hey, any boat is someones pride and joy and at least they have a boat. Plus, as stated by someone else, those McGregors meet a need in both design and price. You can't complain about that.

Old 04-07-2006, 02:26   #26

Hey Lilly,the story about the cat was funny.What would be funnier would be trying to find out what a bloke has to do within 5yrs to go thru 2 wifes AND a girlfriend plus have time to screw up the building process of his dreamboat!!!!Mudnut.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:20   #27

Alan Wheeler - Not a problem. I have seen a lot of this and I find it odd that people can have a bad opinion of something without a reason why. (or at least not tell me). I should note that I have done over 1800 miles in my Mac this year and I work 84 hours a week. I do take nice long vacations and I saved one from last year.

Several years ago, I was at work and a person was putting down my 16 foot daysailor. I asked him what type of boat he had and he did not have one.

The worst one was "Sailboats are not supposed to do that!" A very upset older man and I could not calm him down.

Most people are quite fond of their boats and do not like to have them put down. Some are more problematic than others. Some do not have as many wanted or unwanted points as others.

To keep within the thread, when I was researching boats I found that a boat made in different years could make quite a bit of differance in a boat.

It is wise to be careful.

I had looked at FLICKA's for a long time and some people did not like them because of there wide midsection and narrow stern. This boat is known to be very seaworthy.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:19   #28

'Macs' are without a doubt the ugliest sailboat/powerboat ever made. LOL
Old 04-07-2006, 13:20   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just imagine if there was only one design because that was the only way everyone wanted a boat to look. Just imagine if there was one design because that was the way everyone wanted their boat to sail. Just imagine if there was only one design because that was the only thing everyone wanted to do with their boat. Yuuuuk.

There will always be view points though. Personaly, I hate many present day designs. Sure they may sail rings around my boat, but I love the character, the graceful lines and the comfort of my boat as against the "plastic ticky tacky and they all look the same" designs we see today. Hey, some even have wood cabinetry that has a repeating grain. iiiick. But I also know my boat is not going to take everyones fancy either. So I accept someone not liking my boat and I guess others have to accept theirs may not be the bees knees to others either.
But it DOES all come down to what you want out of your boat. Some it's just the getting out and sailing, others, it's the boat it's self.

Old 04-07-2006, 13:45   #30

Boat: C&C 27
I was thinking about the boat next to mine in the marina. I won't name the make but only say that it has a big plastic arch for the traveller, black plastic wrap around windows and moulded in this and that from stem to stern. In many ways it is more than just an expression of all that is new but also an exaggeration, a caricature, of what todays hip boaters wants to own. Or maybe a caricature of what the boating marketers wants boaters to own.

As far as aesthetics go some good advice I once heard was this: "The boat for you is the one you want to see when rowing home in the evening." If that boat is 'Son of Town Hall' may Aeolis always be at your back giving you a gentle wind.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: