Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-07-2016, 15:56   #91

Boat: 46' Cold Molded Wood Cutter
Re: Wood blue water boat opinions, would you buy one

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Just a clarification, carvel planking does apply to single, double, and even triple planking. Multiple layers usually run diagonal to the final outer layer to give strength to the entire hull. Triple layers usually means the two diagonal layers go in opposite direction to each other. A very, very expensive way to build a hull. Only seen double planking but heard of triple. The hull basically does not flex or very little flex compared to single planking. If you want to go overboard, the final layer can be clinker which would give it additional strength.
I agree, which is why I suggest the OP posts a photo of the inside of the hull. The other way to find out is to remove a thru-hull fitting, preferable one above the WL.

Old 02-07-2016, 16:49   #92

To the OP, if you like a wood boat and find one you want the process is no different than buying any other boat. You need a excellent surveyor and to do lots of reasearch. In my expiriance the maintinance on wood vs. FRP vs. steel is not really all that much different, either you maintain it or not. Unless you dream of becoming a shipright I would definately not buy anything that needs to be restored in any way, you are better off waiting it out. Carvel planked or double planked hulls are all about what they were built with. You can get all sorts of BS advice on wonder this and wonder that and you won't find a more opinoinated cabal in any maritime field. Maine is a East coast mecca of wooden boats but leans heavily on the Pedigree and there is alot of big money maintaining the market so not always the best place to look, Nova Scotia is a nother good East coast Mecca. The PNW into northern Cali is the west coast spot for wood boats. Boats in Cali were probably sailed harder and the climate is not as friendly as the PNW.

Don't get shoe horned into 1 or 2 experts. If you hit the PNW in Late Aug you can go to three consecutive wood boat festivals, Victoria BC, Deer harbor Wa and Port Townsend. There are lots of boats for sale and you won't find a better group for knowledge.

Edited>>>slogged thru the earlier posts and see you have already found one, same as above get a great surveyor, preferabel a active shipright.

Old 02-07-2016, 18:24   #93
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingscotts View Post

Edited>>>slogged thru the earlier posts and see you have already found one, same as above get a great surveyor, preferabel a active shipright.
An active shipwright or boatwright who you won't be hiring to do the work that is There are good wooden boat surveyors (who are not active shipwrights or boatwrights) and they tend to be a little more objective than the boatwrights themselves, IMO and experience. A lot of wooden boatwrights think a lot of themselves. Few are actual shipwrights (going to a wooden boat school does not a shipwright make...) but if you find a real shipwright s/he will cost a pretty penny and have an even higher opinion of himself.

Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 18:50   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
An active shipwright or boatwright who you won't be hiring to do the work that is There are good wooden boat surveyors (who are not active shipwrights or boatwrights) and they tend to be a little more objective than the boatwrights themselves, IMO and experience. A lot of wooden boatwrights think a lot of themselves. Few are actual shipwrights (going to a wooden boat school does not a shipwright make...) but if you find a real shipwright s/he will cost a pretty penny and have an even higher opinion of himself.
It's a balancing act as you well know. I have been very unimpressed with some shipwrights and surveyors who are universaly accepted as the best. Two of the best ones I have worked with were polar opposites as far as ego. A good equalizer is a small shop that spends zero dollars on advertizing, is always busy and turns you down several times haha.
Old 02-07-2016, 19:06   #95

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Folks with the time and knowledge to properly put together a wooden boat are few and far between. There are some excellent kiwi builders, by the way.
The finest example of a properly built wooden boat I've ever seen was hand built by William Garden on his island in the PNW. The vessels name is Toad, I believe, and was given to a local couple because Mr Garden told them they were the only folks he knew that would care for her like he would! She was lying in Port Townsend in WA state when I saw her. His island which he owned and lived on was in the Canadian Gulf Islands. Phil

Tags
water

« Insurance | Signs »
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: