Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2016, 08:26   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Wood blue water boat opinions, would you buy one

Did a search to try and find some opinions about this but no luck, I haven't even considered it before, but there some beautiful ones out there, if you were in the market for a long distance cruiser would you or would you not consider one
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 08:43   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Wood blue water boat opinions, would you buy one

I don't own a big wood hulled boat, but I love them and admire them and study them. So, take my comments with a splash of saltwater, and look for experienced wood boat owners for advice.

I have seen some beautiful wood boats that have been cruising and crossed oceans, so it can be done. There was a French built traditional wood boat (but recent build) located in Mexico last year on the Pacific side, that caught my eye. She was lovely!

But, as with any boat, made of any materials, it depends more upon the condition of the specific boat and the skills and ability of the captain and crew.

I have never owned a wooden boat, so I don't have the build or maintenance experience that would really help make the decision to buy one more realistic. More than any other hull material, I think the skill of the wood boat builder and the materials he used and the maintenance condition of the boat will be more important for a voyaging or blue water boat.

There are many wood hulled day sailers, trawlers and motor yachts still plying the coastal waters. But, the stresses placed on a power boat or trawler or day sailer in sheltered waters like bays and the ICW or lakes would be very different from what one might encounter in a open ocean blue water environment.

As an alternative, the composite boats, "cold molded" boats made of wood and epoxy, are appealing to me. The Cates (Jim and Ann) sail theirs around the South Pacific.

And then there is Schooner Chandlery (another CF member) who restored an old wood schooner (Schooner Mahdee) and have sailed it up to Alaska. Their boat looks very seaworthy and they have the technical knowhow to restore it and maintain it, in an admirable fashion. Look for their website to see the results. https://schoonerchandlery.com
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 12:44   #3

Wood boats are beautiful.
But how about maintenance?
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 12:54   #4

Boat: Mahogany Centerborder 30 foot, 1937

There have been Ocean going wooden Yacht for more than a century. Maintenance depends not only on the materials but also on the age. You can't compare a more than 70 year old wooden boat to a newly built one. Still, most people do and so the market for new wooden yachts is not existing. Plus, it takes a lot more work hours and thus money to build a wooden boat compared to a plastic one.

Sent from my Lenovo B8080-H using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
woodenboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 17:45   #5

I've done some reading about the pro's and con's about owning a Wood sailboat, because I've found one that is exactly what I've been looking for, except it's wood, it's dry as a bone inside and most definitely a go any where boat, doesn't need any repair, it will take about 25 to 30k to add what it needs to get it ready for long distance, that's ok, I can do that no problem, just trying to learn as much as I can about this so I can make an informed decision before I pull the trigger
Old 26-06-2016, 17:58   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Without a vast knowledge of wooden boat construction and/or deep pockets ... no.
Old 26-06-2016, 18:25   #7

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I have lived aboard and worked aboard wooden boats all my life and, frankly, prefer them to the plastic fantastic and steel boats that I have delivered or sailed on.
The most critical thing about buying a used wooden boat is the maintenance schedule it has had. Not only must the current owner maintain it well but previous owners neglect can quickly bite you in the rear.
I have been very fortunate to have had several outstanding wooden vessels and miss each of them immensely. We cruised our last wooden boat almost to Alaska then down to San Diego as well as to Mexico and back without a problem. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 18:33   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

There is a huge prejudice against timber boats in the US. Few people know very much about them; however, both in Maine and in Port Townsend, Washington State, there are wooden boat lovers, and it is they whom you should contact. Carol Haase, the sailmaker, could probably help you get in touch with that mob, a very nice batch of folks.

Our own boat is of modern timber construction, and so far, we have 54,000 n. mi. in her. She is strip plank western red cedar, with epoxy and glass inside and out.

However, lots of timber boats are fine, just as they are, and timber boats have lots more "soul" than plastic fantastics, imho. We see many in Tasmania, and if you're interested in the world of wooden boats, the Wooden Boat Festival in Tassie will be held the second weekend in February, 2017, you can Google it.

Ann
Old 26-06-2016, 19:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
There is a huge prejudice against timber boats in the US. Few people know very much about them; however, both in Maine and in Port Townsend, Washington State, there are wooden boat lovers, and it is they whom you should contact. Carol Haase, the sailmaker, could probably help you get in touch with that mob, a very nice batch of folks.

Our own boat is of modern timber construction, and so far, we have 54,000 n. mi. in her. She is strip plank western red cedar, with epoxy and glass inside and out.

However, lots of timber boats are fine, just as they are, and timber boats have lots more "soul" than plastic fantastics, imho. We see many in Tasmania, and if you're interested in the world of wooden boats, the Wooden Boat Festival in Tassie will be held the second weekend in February, 2017, you can Google it.

Ann
Thanks Ann, your comment about having more "soul" than the plastic fantastics, is one of the things that has me seriously considering this, the owner and other owners of wood sailboats, that I've spoke with ,say the feel of a good, well found wood sailboat can't be beat, I'm going to do my homework, and although this boat doesn't need any repair and has been very well maintained, I understand that the maintenance schedule and requirements of that maintenance is much different than a plastic boat is of course obvious, I'm a good carpenter, welder, electrician, mechanic, so anything that needs attention, I should be able to handle myself, but I'm under no a illusions, just wanted to hear some comments from folks on the forum that have first hand experience with this.
Old 26-06-2016, 19:35   #10

Have a conversation with Gannon and Benjamin in Vineyard Haven, MA. They are still actively building and maintaining wooden boats of all sizes. They both have sailed extensively on wooden boats. Their opinion is that wooden boats are the only ones built to last. Check them out and the book written about them.

I've never owned a wooden boat. Maintenance is a big consideration.
goodnumbers64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 20:05   #11

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

Hello there,

I own a 1967 Mariner 40, Mahogany plank over white oak ribs.
When I purchased her 4 years ago she needed a lot of work on the deck and cabin top which I restored it all myself.
The hull was pretty good shape but I did need to replace a few planks and but joints.
I also repaired the hollow wooden mast where the spreader joint is and now since I sailed across tha pacific the screws holding the main and mizzen track on are pulling out, so that's my next project.

Wooden boats need to be inspected often and the owner needs to catch things before they become big problems. As long as you keep it up you will not have big issues.

I have about 20,000 miles on her so far and went through several gales, one of which lasted 7 days with 35 knot winds going to Hawaii. She never flinched and I have confidence she will take me anywhere I want to go.

I have owned and built/rebuilt wooden boats all my life and have no reason to switch to any other material

Old 26-06-2016, 21:55   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Windrush II View Post
Hello there,

I own a 1967 Mariner 40, Mahogany plank over white oak ribs.
When I purchased her 4 years ago she needed a lot of work on the deck and cabin top which I restored it all myself.
The hull was pretty good shape but I did need to replace a few planks and but joints.
I also repaired the hollow wooden mast where the spreader joint is and now since I sailed across tha pacific the screws holding the main and mizzen track on are pulling out, so that's my next project.

Wooden boats need to be inspected often and the owner needs to catch things before they become big problems. As long as you keep it up you will not have big issues.

I have about 20,000 miles on her so far and went through several gales, one of which lasted 7 days with 35 knot winds going to Hawaii. She never flinched and I have confidence she will take me anywhere I want to go.

I have owned and built/rebuilt wooden boats all my life and have no reason to switch to any other material

She's a Beauty
Old 26-06-2016, 22:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnumbers64 View Post
Have a conversation with Gannon and Benjamin in Vineyard Haven, MA. They are still actively building and maintaining wooden boats of all sizes. They both have sailed extensively on wooden boats. Their opinion is that wooden boats are the only ones built to last. Check them out and the book written about them.

I've never owned a wooden boat. Maintenance is a big consideration.
I have gotten the contact info and will pursue it
Old 27-06-2016, 04:04   #14

First you have to define what you are talking about.
- Traditional wood boat.
- Cold molded epoxy/fiberglass wood boat.

They completely different animals.

I would consider a cold molded boat. A traditional boat, not a chance due to maintenance requirements.

This isn't to say you can't keep a traditional wood boat going for decades but it takes drastically more effort than a fiberglass boat.

PS: I'm unclear about the comment about the wood boat being bone dry. The traditional method of getting the seams to seal up is to drop her in and let the bilges leak until the wood swells up and closes up the seams.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 06:05   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
First you have to define what you are talking about.
- Traditional wood boat.
- Cold molded epoxy/fiberglass wood boat.

They completely different animals.

I would consider a cold molded boat. A traditional boat, not a chance due to maintenance requirements.

This isn't to say you can't keep a traditional wood boat going for decades but it takes drastically more effort than a fiberglass boat.

PS: I'm unclear about the comment about the wood boat being bone dry. The traditional method of getting the seams to seal up is to drop her in and let the bilges leak until the wood swells up and closes up the seams.
There is zero water intrusion, that's what I meant

Tags
water