Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2009, 22:39   #1

Boat: MACGREGOR 26M
Windvane / Windspeed Indicator

Hello all. I got what appears to be a windvane/windspeed indicator with my boat. The readout is already installed on the bulkhead but the cable that runs to the bar holding the vane and indicator thangy is gone. Plus there is no bracket to mount it to the top of the mast. Does anyone know if I can buy these seperately. Also, is my only choice to install this to drop the mast, run the cable through it? Has anyone mounted one of these elsewhere? Thanks, Stephen Ronning
stephenronning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 01:07   #2

Boat: Stormwind 40 cutter rigged steel ketch
They are serviceable parts, so you should be able to get them separately. I recently got bearings and blades replaced to my Raymarine/Autohelm indicator. Most manufacturers do not advertise these parts separately, however, any company servicing these devices should be able to help you.

I have never seen one installed any place else than the masthead - there must be a good reason for that. That is pretty much the only place with air flowing freely enough for decent readings.
Heikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 09:29   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The internationally accepted reference standard height for wind measurement devices (anemometers) is 10 metres (33 feet) above any surrounding obstructions.
For scientific & technical purposes, wind speed measurements, taken at other heights, are adjusted to the reference standard.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 09:43   #4

Boat: MACGREGOR 26M
TELL TALES/Furler Genoa for Cal 2 25 for sale UV SEWN IN

HI. I'm gonna buy tell tails for my main. How many feet apart do I space the. Also, I have a roller furler genoa for a cal 2 25 with the uv sewn in for sale if anyone wants one. She's in good condition. $349.00. Thanks, Stephen
stephenronning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 10:15   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Position three telltales at about 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 of the luff length (horizontally).

See the article:
A Truer Tale of Telltales

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 16:40   #6

Boat: Pearson 10M
Windspeed

Stephenroning,

What make is your windspeed indicator? If it is an old boat more likely than not it may be Signet. If so you may be in luck. Post a picture of the indicator if you can. Do I understand correctly that you have nothing on your mast as regards to wind speed? And only have the indicator on the boat? What does the indicator read if you turn it on?
msoneji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 18:00   #7

Boat: a sailing boat
We have a Scandinavian thing from Raa Varv. I adore it because it uses NO power. Wind speed only though, scaled in knots, m/s and B.

I like the ultrasonic magic top unit, but man they are expensive. I like it because perhaps it could be less attractive to gannets. I love gannets but they love our Windex. It's a bad love, for the Windex.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windvane