Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-03-2013, 14:59   #31
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Will a wooden or plastic boat last longest, if maintained?

The wood right under where the engine is beded never seems to rot. Might have something to do with oil impregnation.

Old 17-03-2013, 15:07   #32

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River,j/100 BJ

The combination of composit wood epoxy glass skin with no metal fastners thats the answer. All the advantages of wood and plastic plus the bonus of the sinergy.

Old 17-03-2013, 18:10   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
So if your wood boat sits at the bottom of the ocean it will last forever.I see dried out and cracked wood on old wood boats that I look at,above the waterline. If it sits on the hard very long,below as well.Fibreglass,not so much.
Only if its cypress and buried in sand.
Old 18-03-2013, 11:42   #34

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

Watching shredding of old fiberglass boats, some with shiny hulls.
They look pretty thin, like cardboard.
Old 18-03-2013, 15:15   #35
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

I've got 1.75" thick glass below the waterline. The newer boats rely on rigidity and call it strength.
Old 18-03-2013, 15:28   #36

Boat: grampian 26

Sooner or later all wooden boats become compost. Having said that you can keep them afloat forever with constant replacement of bad wood and diligent maintenance. HMS Bounty, may she rest in peace, is an example of what can happen when you don't.
Old 18-03-2013, 18:25   #37

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
Sooner or later all wooden boats become compost. Having said that you can keep them afloat forever with constant replacement of bad wood and diligent maintenance. HMS Bounty, may she rest in peace, is an example of what can happen when you don't.
My understanding was that she just came out of refit at the yard where she was built. Old planking replaced and fully inspected. She had problems with engine, generator, pump failure. Things might have been built differently or otherwise equipped but the wood was maintained.
Old 18-03-2013, 18:44   #38

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
My understanding was that she just came out of refit at the yard where she was built. Old planking replaced and fully inspected. She had problems with engine, generator, pump failure. Things might have been built differently or otherwise equipped but the wood was maintained.
If you read the inquiry only some of the bad planks and timbers were repaired/replaced. Other areas were in need of repair but a judgement call was made that they were sound enough to proceed. Whether this was the ultimate cause of the sinking may never be known.

She was originally built in Lunenburg Nova Scotia I believe.
Old 18-03-2013, 19:04   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

[QUOTE=SkiprJohn;1187373]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I was also wondering about the reference for this post. Especially when some old fiberglass hulls approach an inch thick and don't seem to be fatigued at all. I'm just saying I'd like to get smarter about this even though I'm not going to outlive my fiberglass hull.

kind regards,
John,

I can't point to a specific study for that post since it was more of a basis of knowledge post that specifically referencing a single item. But I appreciate the question.

For general reference on cycle fatigue see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatigue_(material)

For specifics on fiberglass see:
http://www.usna.edu/Users/naome/phmiller/fatigue.ppt
http://www.coe.montana.edu/composite...d%20thesis.pdf
http://www.coe.montana.edu/composite...ort%207005.pdf
http://www.uotechnology.edu.iq/tec_m...searches/6.pdf

As a summation, fiberglass like aluminium has a definite fatigue life. However unlike aluminium there is no easy way to fix a fatigued laminate structure. How long it takes to acquire a sufficient number of cycles to mean a hull is no longer seaworth is a function of original design, quality of the materials and workmanship, and the life the hull has.

From the numbers I have seen I think we will see average production boat failures from fatige in the 100 year range. With specific designs having drastically shorter or longer life's than that. As an example my clubs Flying Scots have failed in as little as five years, while a massively thick and strong hull may last much longer.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 10:05   #40

Boat: Valiant 40

I think a wood boat can theoretically last forever simply because you can replace any given part when needed into the indefinite future. There are plenty of wooden boats out there where the majority of planks and even structural members have been replaced over time. When I was growing up I had a Latham waterman's flatbottomed skiff that had been used for oystering that I routinely replaced parts of each spring to keep her afloat.

I assume that at some point with a fiberglass hull, the hull itself will lose it's structural integrity in a manner that requires complete replacement. While it's possible to do that, the cost will be exorbitant.

I guess the real answer is that with enough money, any kind of boat can last forever.
Old 13-05-2013, 04:34   #41

Hi all
Just joined the forum to post in response. It seems that most are referring to plastic as fibreglass when in fact plastic boats are a class all their own…But let me first say that my preference is wood…I am from Hobart Tassie which throws an incredible wooden boat festival every two years….Back to plastic. Some of the posts state that a wooden boat can be replaced piece by piece over time and therefore could last…This is also true of fabricated plastic boats…not rotationally moulded boats. Fabricated plastic boats can have sheets replaced. There are other issues strictly related to plastic in as much as the technology in plastics is still changing while wood is pretty much fully evolved. In a serious note most of the plastics, which can be replaced have a 50 year rating to UV exposure. The interesting thing is that real plastic boats don’t get painted, don’t have electrolysis issues…so the answer of what will last longer is either…one with much less work but not nearly as elegantly...
Old 13-05-2013, 12:19   #42

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
There is no question that a properly maintained wooden boat will last longer than a fiberglass one. Fiberglass has what's called a fatigue limit and eventually will become cycle limited. One a hull reaches this point normal maintenance will not suffice to return the hull's strength.

A wooden hull however, well it's always possible to replace individual planks, ribs, ect... Such that its still the same hull even if the parts have all been changed out.
Really?...Mind showing me the data? Yes...you can replace a plank if thats what you want to do. At $1000-$2000 a haul out, you better love wood.
F/G, a fatigue limit? Fatigue from what? Also please go into detail on F/G cycle limit.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 12:34   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

What are the worst things in our environment? The things that take forever to disintegrate?

The correct answer would be plastic and glass. What is a fiberglass boat made out of? Plastic resin and glass fibers.
To make the comparison fair, we have to compare low cost wooden boats to low cost fiberglass boats and high cost wooden boats to high cost fiberglass boats.

If wooden boats were better overall, they would still be making them.

If you prefer a wooden boat, that's great, but don't try to make it sound better than it is.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 12:37   #44

This one was built in 1797. and is still kicking. I guess until we have some fiberglass boats that are 220 years old, we won't really know for sure.
Old 13-05-2013, 12:38   #45
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

hudson river historic boat restoration has a good example of a 110 yr old boat in restoration. her name is the eleanor.
google her or visit her page on fb--as hudson river historic boat restoration

fiberglass will last longer with much less maintenance.

i learned to sail on the eleanor, as she was my now late grt uncles boat and he taught all of us. was awesome cool fun.

i now have a 1976 built formosa--and i know i dont have to replace planks and fasteners or blocks and tackles and the old goodies we used to use while sailing her.

too modern to me is just ugly, as i cannot get my mind around the harsh lines used in designs of sailing boats used today.
kinda like older classic cars, vs todays ugly sans character or sensuality automobiles used today.

first fg boats were built, to my knowledge, may have been earlier--
jensen wenk 24, 1958
another jensen 1955
hank mc kune..whatever he made first, then victory, still a one design boat--1956-8 somewhere...

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: