Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2016, 11:22   #1

Will 60K buy a good bluewater boat ?

I am retiring in 5 years and the wife agreed to our plan of picking up a (near) 40 ft sailboat in a few years and start our (bluewater) sailing adventure. Question is, that I will have around 60K and have been searching at mostly Beneteau, but they seem out of my price range. What other brands/models might would be good for our quest? I am VERY mechanically inclined but do not want to do a total rebuild. Is 60K enough for that size boat?

Would it be best to find something up here in the great lakes where there is no saltwater? And then sail it south later?

"retirement cant come soon enough" the only problem with that is I am getting older, and don't want that! Even though i will only be 54 and the wife 48. I guess it's not so bad

ToddMc
ToddMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 11:27   #2

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Will 60K buy a good bluewater boat ?

of course you can. 60k will snag a very capable sailboat. might have to drop your size a little bit (30-40 ft.)
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 12:24   #3

Boat: Pearson 367

I have a similar budget. I have been looking at 35 footers. Most from the early to mid-80's. Plenty to choose from. There are some even cheaper boats from the 70's that are well maintained and very blue water capable.

Pretty good advice here:

Mahina Expeditions - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising
Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org

Also, it would help if you define your cruising ground. Blue water is a vague term. Do you want to circumnavigate? Where are you located? Do you want to spend a few years in the Caribbean? What is your sailing experience? What is your wife's sailing experience? There are plenty of threads on here where the wife said she would go cruising but then found out it wasn't her cup of tea. There goes the dream....
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 12:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
I have a similar budget. I have been looking at 35 footers. Most from the early to mid-80's. Plenty to choose from. There are some even cheaper boats from the 70's that are well maintained and very blue water capable.

Pretty good advice here:

Mahina Expeditions - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising
Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org

Also, it would help if you define your cruising ground. Blue water is a vague term. Do you want to circumnavigate? Where are you located? Do you want to spend a few years in the Caribbean? What is your sailing experience? What is your wife's sailing experience? There are plenty of threads on here where the wife said she would go cruising but then found out it wasn't her cup of tea. There goes the dream....

Thanks, Wife and I have done some sailing on the Chesapeake and are getting some of our ASA certs next summer. So, Not a whole lot of experience from the both of us YET. Would start out in the Caribbean/Bahamas and get a little more experience. I dont think I will have a problem wife the wife not wanting to do it. If we could, we would do it now
Old 16-09-2016, 14:50   #5

Boat: Westsail 32

Yes.

Depends on your desired level of comfort though.

Bluewater, round-the-world capable boats can be had for 10-25K in the 27' range. 30-50K in 32' range, 40 - 70K in the 36' range.

The upper end of those prices include outfitting and prep.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 15:18   #6

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm

I happen to to have a very good 35' cutter rigged boat currently in French Polynesia. Great place to start cruising from, or stay indefinitely for that matter ;-)

Due to some family and work issues, after half a circumnavigation, the boat, ready to go anywhere, is for sale. Could do with a haul-out for a quick bottom job that's about it. We live onboard until sold, will pick up a smaller boat for weekend sailing. PM me for more info....hard to find a better cruiser in this size range for two people, and we need to sell, but not in panic ;-)
Old 16-09-2016, 15:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by svrodeorm View Post
I happen to to have a very good 35' cutter rigged boat currently in French Polynesia. Great place to start cruising from, or stay indefinitely for that matter ;-)

Due to some family and work issues, after half a circumnavigation, the boat, ready to go anywhere, is for sale. Could do with a haul-out for a quick bottom job that's about it. We live onboard until sold, will pick up a smaller boat for weekend sailing. PM me for more info....hard to find a better cruiser in this size range for two people, and we need to sell, but not in panic ;-)
Thanks, If I were closer to retirement i would be accepting the offer to take a look at it
Old 16-09-2016, 16:08   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddMc View Post
I am retiring in 5 years and the wife agreed to our plan of picking up a (near) 40 ft sailboat in a few years and start our (bluewater) sailing adventure. Question is, that I will have around 60K and have been searching at mostly Beneteau, but they seem out of my price range. What other brands/models might would be good for our quest? I am VERY mechanically inclined but do not want to do a total rebuild. Is 60K enough for that size boat?

Would it be best to find something up here in the great lakes where there is no saltwater? And then sail it south later?

"retirement cant come soon enough" the only problem with that is I am getting older, and don't want that! Even though i will only be 54 and the wife 48. I guess it's not so bad

ToddMc
Short answer: Yes!

Howdy Todd, and Welcome Aboard CF!

There is a vast amount of information here and many helpful members who have extensive experience.

For example, many earlier threads or discussions are focused on the topic of "Bluewater Boats." Here is a list of links to those threads in the CF archive. Take a look, and know there are many hours of reading there. Dive in and you will find some pearls of wisdom among the many opinions.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...ter&gsc.page=1

How can you quickly find answers to common questions in earlier threads or discussions?

Here is something I like to share with new members here, because it helps me each day I visit here. I hope it will help you too.

My Favorite CF Forum Tip: Use the Google Custom Search Function

I know that most people who are new to this forum might try the ordinary search function of the forum when they have a question in mind. Unfortunately that always yielded few results for me when I tried that when I first joined this forum. In contrast, a standard Google search outside of the forum can produce a bewildering list of links too. It was only later that I learned to quickly and easily find great links to archived or previous threads on a topic.

I only use the Google Custom Search field on this forum when searching this forum, and I find all the answers I need here too using that.

I find it superior to an ordinary search using the standard "search" field and usually get the answers I want very quickly. So, it is my "number one tip" to newer forum members. .

Note! The Google Custom Search field is found under the "Search" menu seen at the top of your browser window when you are in the CF forum on any page. However, it is NOT shown as an option if you are viewing the Forum site using the CF Mobile app. Use a browser like Safari instead.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 16:57   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

It is impossible to say what 60k will buy in 5 years.

Both the US and the EC are at full swing printing money while the prices are stuck. This may backfire with high inflation anytime, or not. In theory, it could. Excessive money supply is one of possible reasons for high inflation.

Today 60k buys a decent blue water boat.

Or else buy a slightly smaller blue water boat at 40k and spend another 20k making her a good blue water boat.

BTW why make any plans 5 years ahead? Buying a boat is like buying a car. What car will you be driving in 5 years? Do you really plan such details?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 17:04   #10

Boat: wanting a cat

BTW why make any plans 5 years ahead? Buying a boat is like buying a car. What car will you be driving in 5 years? Do you really plan such details?

b.[/QUOTE]

Don't try to acquaint logic and common sense to the guy's dream, it's about having the passion to pursue the dream. It keeps us going.

But I agree with you 100%!

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 17:14   #11

My Friend has a fabulous Omega 36 in top condition ready for offshore cruising/sailing and for sail at a very good price. It's a gorgeous boat. Liferaft included.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 19:52   #12

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
It is impossible to say what 60k will buy in 5 years.

Both the US and the EC are at full swing printing money while the prices are stuck. This may backfire with high inflation anytime, or not. In theory, it could. Excessive money supply is one of possible reasons for high inflation.

Today 60k buys a decent blue water boat.

Or else buy a slightly smaller blue water boat at 40k and spend another 20k making her a good blue water boat.

b.
Hey Barnakiel, interesting point. I've assumed used boats will actually keep getting cheaper BUT what your saying is definitely possible. This insane monetary experiment has never happened to this degree before, ever! I read daily regarding this topic and the figures are staggering! Inflation and lots of it is the only way ( maybe) do dig the world out of its incredible debt. Central banks and governments will just keep easing monetary policy until they get what they want. The problem is that inflation wipes out the middle class. Also once out of the bag can be very hard to control ie. Venezuela. Becareful what you wish for.
Will this sort of inflation happen? I dont know, and in all honesty I don't even think the likes of Yellen really know where this is going.
I had never really considered it in terms of what this means for used yachts in coming years.
I'm quite confident 5 years from now the world will be very different, so very hard to predict anything.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 19:54   #13

Boat: Spencer 1330 44' Ketch

I sort of had a CS 36 in mind, but this boat is along the same line.

Is it in the water? If not how long stored? Condition of teak deck? Last survey?

You can PM me dgv97@hotmail.com Horizon Watcher
Horizon Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 20:32   #14

Will 60K buy a good bluewater boat ?

Look at the "Southern Cross" or the "Whitby". Noting your price point, And both very able boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
gaspass3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 22:15   #15

Boat: Tartan 3000

I have seen some Pearsons in your size and price range. Would be interested in opinions on a 38-42 80s vintagePearson as blue water capable.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water