Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2018, 10:01   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Wife gets sick with Diesel smell??

Out of curiosity. If it is exhaust fumes, are you motoring with a Bimini top catching fumes with any following breeze. Just a thought.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:07   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffijune View Post
Changing the wife is too expensive!!
just give her the house, you get the boat
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:08   #18

Boat: Colegate 26

I would think a quality mechanic could clean up your engine considerably. But I'm also really interested in small sailboat electric drive. Where is your primary usage location? If your boat spends the night at the dock and motors out to go sailing, there's no reason a small electric motor and a pile of batteries couldn't get the job done without even adding "green charging" solutions like solar and wind. And you'd likely have a far more enjoyable experience with the lower maintenance, silent operation, and no trips to the fuel dock.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:52   #19

The way you present the problem. I deduce that you do not have a lot of boating/sailing experience. As other's have said, if you can smell diesel FUEL within the boat, then it is not your wife that is the problem - on the contrary, then you must consider her a "warning system". There is a malfunction in your tank-to-engine fuel delivery system that you need to correct.

If it is diesel EXHAUST FUMES you smell within the boat, then, again, your wife is a "warning system" to be treasured. There is no more sensitive "bilge sniffer" than the human snozz :-) Exhaust fumes can be deadly. They have often been used as an instrument of suicide. So if it is fumes you are worried about, have your exhaust system rebuilt by a competent mechanic. By yourself, if you ARE one :-)

If your worry is fumes that come over the transom when you have the wind aft, then the remedy is to fit a diverter on the exhaust pipe stub so that the exhaust is taken under water. Such a diverter has a small hole in it that acts as a syphon break lest water should back up into the exhaust system.

Dealing with whatever the problem is in your present boat is bound to be MUCH cheaper and more satisfactory than changing boats and assuming responsibility for another potential packet of grief.

There is a further possibility that I urge you to think about: It is possible that your wife is using "getting sick from the diesel" as a proxy for just not liking being in the boat because she feels insecure. Should you conclude in your heart of hearts that that might be the case, we might be able to help you - and her - with that problem also.

All the best!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:54   #20

Some Prouts, geminis
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:00   #21

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Should not be smelling diesel. Clean things up.
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:09   #22

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Mainecat 30's, Smaller Seawinds, and PDQ's are available outboard powered as wellas some older Gemini's. One other option is to make sure you use low sulfur highway diesel instead of the off road high sulfur. I was amazed at the difference it made the first time I got a tank full.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:41   #23

Boat: Bavaria, 12.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to Otia

Check out "Sailing Uma" on youtube. They got rid of the diesel engine to put an electric motor. You can see their experience with it.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:05   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
get her to take up smoking a pipe and drinking rum at breakfast this will soon dull all her senses

One of the photos below shows Greta Garbo with pipe, on a ship.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	343F4867-A344-4F58-A6BD-22939F7874DE.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	176867   Click image for larger version

Name:	F5A16A1A-70A4-460D-A4BC-16DE202102B9.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	176868  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 13:04   #25

Its not a clean up issue we have a twin diesel sport fisher and she gets sick of the smell on it also. mostly the fumes (exhaust). Thanks for all the input! I think we're going in the pocket cat direction with an outboard option. Thanks Again
Steffijune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 14:30   #26
Marine Service Provider

First of all, sincere apologies for the cruel remarks about disposing of your wife, made by people who didn't even offer her a new home. To me that's pretty heartless, but you could make amends by posting a recent photograph of her, and her boating resume, to encourage more complete solutions and perhaps an upturn in her circumstances.

Before leaping to a new boat, which may also have diesel smells, it would be useful to track down the nature and source of the diesel smell.
Is your darling wife being nauseated by the smell of diesel exhaust or raw diesel fuel oil?

If it's diesel exhaust fumes, do you have a leak in your exhaust system or are the fumes blowing back over the transom when the apparent wind is from astern? Be aware that if it's the latter, you must add an anti-siphonage valve to the exhaust system before lowering the discharge point below the waterline, which is generally a bad idea. It may help to extend the discharge pipe away astern of the boat, or add a deflector to the bimini or transom to prevent the "station wagon' effect

If it's raw oil, there are two possibilities, either you have a leak in the fuel system, which you can repair, or the fumes from the tank vent are blowing back into the boat. You may be able to move the vent to the transom if it's not already there, and add an activated charcoal+silica gel filter to the vent hose, which will capture the fumes.

I hope this helps, please feel free to contact me direct(jmardall@comcast.net) if you need details, discussion or marriage counselling.

All the best
John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Boat Equipment and Psychiatric Services.
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 14:39   #27

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

I had a 28 Sabre 5 years ago Volvo MD 7 A. I steam cleaned the engine ! kept it painted auto store Heat green paint. Had my fuel polished . Added Marvel Mystery oil to the Fuel and to the oil. Change the oil often filter and all. Keep the oil blankets clean change often. if your smoke is black the marvel will turn it white !
I hate the smell myself. Just do all you can to keep her CLEAN ! Shes a wonderful boat !
Sailboat owners at Yahoo .com look for sabre and be connected to all the worlds sabre owners. They are a grand group !
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 14:49   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

There are exhaust systems that exhaust underwater. I ran covert boats for the military and had no fumes. It also makes the boat much quieter.
But it's also common for wives to not like boating and come up with a terminal excuse.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 15:44   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Guys I believe he from the beginning wanted a small Cat and was desiring support for that decision.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 15:53   #30

Well I guess I'll be the first to say it - get her smoking some weed!
Nausea gone and it masks the diesel smell!

In all seriousness essential oils may be the solution. A wipe of Ginger-Peppermint under the nose may do the trick. I have nausea problems. I keep peppermint chapstick handy for any potential smelly boat projects or for walking down gross, urine/garbage filled streets oh and the city bus.

Outboard cats: Seawind or PDQ. Gemini if you are on a budget, don't care about build quality, cosmetic ageing and the o/b not as well positioned as those others.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel