Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 12:53   #16

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon
Re: Why Teak?

Tai Mo Shan: a classic beauty, I was unaware they used teak as the full hull I had only previously heard of it be used as an outer layer timber.

Coburg Yacht Brokers - Tai-Mo-Shan
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:57   #17
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

Our original boat selection criteria stated specifically "NO EXTERIOR TEAK" -- or as little as possible. So we bought a traditional boat, a 1985 Passport 37 - not only teak decks, caprails, handrails and rub rails, but also an interior with real staved teak planking and a teak & holly cabin sole.

Ahhhyaya... what were we thinking? In the excitement of the moment, we've cost ourselves a ton of time and money in teak maintenance. Not that we wouldn't do it all over again ....

Yes, there are bluewater, good quality boats built that don't have tons of teak. If you can keep from falling in love with a boat covered in teak...

Cheers -- Jan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VivarillosDay3 (5) copy.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	356.5 KB
ID:	34691  

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 19:00   #18

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
You'll never find a boat made entirely of teak, it would cost a FORTUNE!!
!
Perhaps, but IIRC, Robin Knox Johnston's first boat - Suhaili - was all teak construction.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:07   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
All remarks about teak as being not used for hull material are utterly wrong.
Teak is the ultimate hull material speaking of the use of wood.
The technical properties are excellent, durability/longevity excellent too and the only problem is the availability of grade #1 quality.
There are yachts of many decades built of teak still existing in good to very good shape. See "Tai-Mo-Shan".
The built of masts, bowsprits, booms etc. has nothing to do with weight but with flexibility. A good replacement for teak is Iroko.
I didn't say anything about it not being a good material, but rather that you won't find it used very often which is an absolutely true statement. You could work on wooden boats for years and never stumble across a teak hull.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:22   #20

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Perhaps, but IIRC, Robin Knox Johnston's first boat - Suhaili - was all teak construction.
Bad choice of words, would have been better if i'd said 'you'll rerely find one'.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:23   #21

Boat: 33ft sloop
Re: Why Teak ?

The problem with teak is that it doesn' t glue well - although even that is not entirely true.
It needs to be degreased and that only with industrial solvents like MEK.
And indeed, at present the topquality of teak is hard to get. One very well known yachtbuilder told me that 85% of the teak offered will be rejected.
I know that teak is an uncommon material in the US, but not so in Holland or the UK.
We very much appreciate the use of teak for decks and interior carpentry.

I will cover my deck as soon as possible with teak, if I can find a place to cover the boat up. A naked steel deck is very uncomfortable and ugly as well.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:23   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Winterlude View Post
Our original boat selection criteria stated specifically "NO EXTERIOR TEAK" -- or as little as possible. So we bought a traditional boat, a 1985 Passport 37 - not only teak decks, caprails, handrails and rub rails, but also an interior with real staved teak planking and a teak & holly cabin sole.

Ahhhyaya... what were we thinking? In the excitement of the moment, we've cost ourselves a ton of time and money in teak maintenance. Not that we wouldn't do it all over again ....

Yes, there are bluewater, good quality boats built that don't have tons of teak. If you can keep from falling in love with a boat covered in teak...

Cheers -- Jan
Once the exterior teak is in good shape, it should be possible to get away with a refresh once a year - a light sand and two coats of varnish. On my 31ft boat, that takes two weekends (rub rail, toe rail, handrails, caprails). It's not that bad.

Of course it helps that there are sunbrella covers for everything, so instead you spend the time taking those off and putting them back on!
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:30   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Teak originally was plentiful, relatively cheap, people did not care about the rain forest and it was rot resistant.

These days it is still rot resistant.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:39   #24
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
The problem with teak is that it doesn' t glue well - although even that is not entirely true.
It needs to be degreased and that only with industrial solvents like MEK.
And indeed, at present the topquality of teak is hard to get. One very well known yachtbuilder told me that 85% of the teak offered will be rejected.
I know that teak is an uncommon material in the US, but not so in Holland or the UK.
We very much appreciate the use of teak for decks and interior carpentry.

I will cover my deck as soon as possible with teak, if I can find a place to cover the boat up. A naked steel deck is very uncomfortable and ugly as well.

I heard they had made it illegal to import teak into the eurozone recently. Is that not true?
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:26   #25

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

There are restrictions on Burmese teak grown and milled in Burma; however burmese teak grown on plantations or occurring naturally elsewhere are not restricted provided the teak is milled elsewhere other than Burma.
Old 12-12-2011, 13:13   #26

Boat: 33ft sloop

No, teak in Holland (and France) is regular available. The wood comes mostly partly processed in sawn lots. It is cheaper to do it in Asia than in Europe. To find good quality is very difficult.

I am (may be) going to experiment with bamboo. I have been talking to a company capable of processing bamboo into panels (flooring board). With a surface treatment of a special flooring finish I might be able to copy the teak decking at a fraction of the costs of natural teak.

Bamboo glues very well and when the strips are glued with Aerodux or epoxy and protected by a toplayer of polyurethane with anti-slip specs, I might have found a sound alternative for teak.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 13:39   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperdog View Post
Hello-
Newbie to boating & forum, please excuse my ignorance!!

I've noticed that many/most ocean capable sailboats are made with teak, which I'm guessing is expensive. Why use teak versus another less expensive wood?

Can you purchase a newer boat that uses fiberglass or another man made product in place of wood (and does this make the boat cheaper to purchase)?

By doing this, do you put yourself into a category where you are buying low quality boats?

Thanks!
Look at the Amels, made in France.
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote