Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2013, 17:00   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Why did you get an aluminium boat with a lifting keel?

There is another option, which is mild steel flame coated with aluminum. We luckily have one of those, but without the lifting keel. She is quite heavy, but very sea kindly.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 17:08   #17

Regarding metal seacocks:

I guess we'll just have to wait for someone (you listening, Greg?) to come up with titanium seacocks with a decent layer of aluminium applied by Ion Vapour Deposition ("IVD"), for galvanic compatibility. (the alu would only be applied on mating surfaces: it would be too soft to last on the working surfaces within the valve)

I'm currently working on a valve project in a non-related field whose concept could be applicable in some niche areas on a boat, to provide a relatively affordable and simple, durable alternative to non-metallic seacocks. If IP issues allow, I'll post something in due course.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 19:45   #18

Wrt. maintenance, I view alu as being "different" to fiberglass/polyester/epoxy, not necessarily better or worse. Would I trust aluminium before a polyester hull to do some "bashing" on things? Hell yeah. To me, there are something more simple to an alu hull when it comes to repairing, something more intuitive. On the other hand, I can carry an epoxy repair kit for a fibre glass repair.

I live in Scandinavia, and I don't think it would be a problem finding welders to do alu repairs here or anywhere around here.
Caracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 04:15   #19

Boat: OVNI 445, 44'

As far as Aluminium boats are concerned there are a few shipyards building them in France and most go through some kind of financial trouble at the time.
The so called 'crisis' takes its toll, and it is huge: order books are empty and bankrupcy is around the corner.
That's the case for ALUBAT and ALU MARINE, both located 100km apart south of Britany.
Nevertheless ALUBAT keeps bulding a 60 footer, a Cigale 18, which I visited this week and is worth looking at.
It is not a lifting keel any more and 2 smaller ones (Cigale 16, new version, new hull ...) are already sailling, one in New Zealand and one in Italy.
hanami2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 04:28   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanami2 View Post
As far as Aluminium boats are concerned there are a few shipyards building them in France and most go through some kind of financial trouble at the time.
The so called 'crisis' takes its toll, and it is huge: order books are empty and bankrupcy is around the corner.
That's the case for ALUBAT and ALU MARINE, both located 100km apart south of Britany.
Nevertheless ALUBAT keeps bulding a 60 footer, a Cigale 18, which I visited this week and is worth looking at.
It is not a lifting keel any more and 2 smaller ones (Cigale 16, new version, new hull ...) are already sailling, one in New Zealand and one in Italy.
Unfortunately it seems Alubat went into receivership two days ago:
Vendée. Alubat en redressement judiciaire - InfoFaillite.fr

Bing translation:
Alubat into receivership
Despite some signs of recovery, the boating industry is still on the razor's edge. The situation of shipyard Alubat, the Château-D'olonne, is the illustration. The 62 employees undertaking was placed into receivership, Wednesday, by the tribunal de commerce, La Roche sur Yon, with an observation period of two months. The objective is to attempt to redress the balance, particularly in clearing the debts. If a financial or a buyer is interested, we hope that a maximum number of jobs will be retained, alert the CGT. We have the experience and know-how. » Alubat, what are these beautiful aluminum boats, especially intended for seafarers who do not hesitate to go on an adventure. "The project of a lifetime", said an official at the boat show, last year. Comfortable and hefty jewelry... And the price that goes with. For the manufacturer, some units are sufficient to maintain the activity. When these commands do not fall, it is the opposite. Thursday, the Directorate has not wished to react. But it seems that the low load plan is, indeed, the origin of this relief. In the spring, the boss, Philippe Aupinel, ensured that there was work for the coming months, following commands signed after the Nautic. But since? Negotiations were underway for large units... Led? «It has a cicada of 18 m to build, tells an employee, but not materials to finish»

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 04:51   #21

Boat: OVNI 445, 44'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Unfortunately it seems Alubat went into receivership two days ago:
Vendée. Alubat en redressement judiciaire - InfoFaillite.fr

Bing translation:
Alubat into receivership
Absolutely true, and that was the point of the posting, including the fact that they carry on with the Cigale 18 (an IMOCA size) and keep pushing ... which, in my view is good ...
hanami2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel