Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-07-2011, 21:42   #16
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: Why Cal?

lol.. When Himself does that I call it a brain fart ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 21:44   #17
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

yup see my above post

Just looked over on YW. The Cal 33 has a really nice interior IMHO. Anyone know anything about sailability compared to 2-30, 34, 36, 39 40?

Old 10-07-2011, 21:46   #18
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
No troll - conceptual blending:
You ought to read a few articles on the Cal 40. It influenced every boat designed after it won its first Transpac. Every boat.

This isn't about brand names. It's about design.
Old 10-07-2011, 21:52   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina
As I thought. The Catalina is a bulgy IOR hull. Nothing like a Cal.
Old 10-07-2011, 21:57   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The Catalina 38 was a Yankee 38 with a different deck. It was a production version of a NZ or Oz built, one off, S&S design that won the One Ton Cup World Championship. It was designed some time after 197O, probably about 1972. Ton Cup Racing was a big deal around that time with World Championships in 1/4, 1/2, 1 and 2 ton classes. Don't ask how they got to be a 'ton' boat as I haven't the foggiest other than they were all desiged to IOR rule.

Yankee Yachts in Orange County built the original hull with an S&S designed deck and interior that was a bit cramped. When Yankee went belly up in 1974, Catalina bought the molds, scrapped the S&S/Yankee deck, and designed their own deck and more spacious interior. Catalina also changed the rudder doing away with the classic S&S skeg rudder common to most of their designs of the era for a spade rudder. Catalina sold quite a few of the boats and the Congressional Cup Match Racing series was raced in them for a couple of years.
Old 10-07-2011, 22:06   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
You ought to read a few articles on the Cal 40. It influenced every boat designed after it won its first Transpac. Every boat.

This isn't about brand names. It's about design.
Yes for sure. this is the start of a cavity fill in my vocab. I never took to the cal before primarily because the interiors were sorta plasticy to me. OH and the V drive! But there are some nice bargains out there, and i love speed.

didn't see em much back east. I only seen two in those races - a 27 and 2-30 - but we had hadicap =).
Old 10-07-2011, 22:12   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That's funny Monkey, cause the thing that first lead Himself and I to the Cals is that there is little or none of the wood trim on the exterior that I am so dead set against, but lots of warm wood in the interior...

Not sure what you have looked at but you can find clean simple wood finishes in the cabin.

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

Old 10-07-2011, 22:37   #23
cruiser

Well my all time boat must have was a psc (24,27,31,34) if that gives you a reference point. Unfortunately I may never get that dream. Now it's probably a cd, Bristol, p 35 or 365, allied or bayfield. In other words cheap!
Old 10-07-2011, 22:46   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ahh... I think one of the deals with Cal's is that they were made so well, but at an amazing price point.... They were really affordable boats for the performance they deliver. I am wondering if the Pacific Seacraft boats were a higher price point? Which would offer the lovely wood work they have.

Old 10-07-2011, 23:01   #25
cruiser

Psc built like rocks. Great well thought out boats. Master crafts. Ok some had blisterwies. Love em all. Hold their value...ummm that last is a negative for a monkey. Yes higher point but were still in reasonable range.

Now I add a few cals to my list. I'd also look at some bennies but am holding out for the lotto and a new one =)
Old 11-07-2011, 00:14   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I have fond memories of my cal 2-29. I lived aboard it for 4 years in the PNW in comfort. I took frequent cruises up the Oregon coast from Portland to The San Juans and Canada. It had a Farryman single diesel that could be hand started.

I recall surfing off of 18' seas in 45 kt winds peaking at about 14 kts. It was exciting and loud but the boat felt in control. It was sea kindly and easy to single hand.

The thing that is most impressive and wish every boat since did as well was back up. It would backup straight and in full control. The marina that I kept it at had a dog leg or 2 to get into my slip. You could bring the Cal straight down river and come to a stop relative to the current. Then put it in reverse and turn around facing aft. grab the wheel (which was behind you) and just drive it into the marina against the current. Navigate the 2 dog legs and back into my slip. Very impressive to anyone watching.

Regards, ethan
Old 11-07-2011, 04:12   #27

Boat: looking

I'm a big fan of the 30 foot Cals; the original Cal30, the 2-30 & 3-30.

The original Cal30 was a cut-away keel, keel-hung rudder boat that was a competative racer for it's time, but was built solid, to take one anywhere. The negatives, for me, are headroom & that it is hard to find one in decent shape that the owner will part with.

The 2-30 I recently bought appeals to me because of it's thick, solid hull, it's better headroom & the twin qtr. berth and (god help me) dinette version lay-out. I like the mainsheet traveller being mounted on the transom, and that my particular boat has a masthead rig, but the latter is a modification, as is the 3' higher mast. But only time & a long journey will answer my own question as to whether it is comparable to my past 3-30, a very different animal. I don't care for the 2-30s backstay aft-transom-attachment design or deck-stepped mast, nor it's lack of secured storage area. to each, their own.

My last boat, the Cal 3-30, I consider comparable to, better than most, in her size range. Advertised disp/ballast was 47.6% and reality was probably not far off, allowing for ability to carry a fair bit of gear and with the relative heftiness of the boat, without a noticeable difference in sailing performance. When I added a thru-hull, the plug I removed was just shy of 2". Internal lead ballast, keel-stepped mast, knees to keel base & heavily glassed in, thick mast & standing rigging, solid deck equipment & a dedicated nav station, were great points for me. The waterline length is 1.5' longer than the 2-30, she carries more beam, & slightly more headroom, if I remember correctly. I didn't like the bridge-deck mounted mainsheet traveller & would have preferred twin qtr. berths, instead of one, but you can only have so much in the interior of a 30' boat. I really had to work to bury the toe-rail, maybe winds of 22+knots(seemed like more), sheeted in, with full canvas. Hard to keep the toe-rail buried for long.

Obviously, I'm biased. But I do not believe that I could have found a better performing boat in this size than the 3-30, especially when one considers the price category. I hope that by the time I've finished my upcoming trip I can say the same about the 2-30. I believe these Cal boats compare favourably to the Ericsons, Islanders & Pearsons in their size range, perhaps the Albergs & Spencers, as well. Once you move to 33 to 37 feet, however, the Ericsons, Pearsons, Albergs & Spencers are awfully attractive, but I'll leave comparisons to those who have owned the Cal 33, 34 & 36. Sorry to offend, but I don't think that the Catalina 30 or Hunter 30 - of any vintage - deserve to be discussed in the same breath as the afore-mentioned boats, they are(imho) so much "less than".
Mike
Old 11-07-2011, 09:41   #28
cruiser

Re: Why Cal ?

nice report bangkaboat
Old 11-07-2011, 10:37   #29

Boat: Cal 2-29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Say, this rings a memory bell... wasn't a Cal 40 the same hull as a Catalina 38 or some such nonsense?
Catalina 38 was a S&S design and at one point in it's life the mould produced the Yankee
Old 11-07-2011, 12:39   #30

Boat: Cal 2-29
Re: Why Cal ?

Cal 40 Old flat top in Swiftsure

Tags
cal

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: