Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2015, 23:48   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odessey 44i
Why are yachts so much cheaper in Europe?

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a yacht and after a lot of searching I have found lots of production yachts(Bavaria, Beneteau, Jeanneau etc)are a lot cheaper in Europe than what I can buy here in NZ for basically the same yacht.
After reading endless forums and being humoured by the arguments of those who obviously don't like them, is there something I am missing?
I'm looking at a 36-40ft for Blue sailing. I would like to sail from NZ over to the islands and cruise around there for a bit.
It has been suggested to me by a friend to get a Steel Roberts as big as I can afford. As an engineer I know what salt water does to steel but I does appeal to me as I know steel very well, but I am also wondering if Glass would be easier to maintain.
I could buy a steel now for $50-$80K but they are between 20-35 years old. Or, I could get a Production yacht about 10-15 years old that looks all flash and pretty for the same $
What are your thoughts and any input would be very helpful
Thanks
Greig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 23:54   #2
cruiser

Re: Why are yachts so much cheaper in Europe?

More yachts for sale, fewer buyers as a result of economic issues is why yachts are cheaper in Europe. Simple, supply and demand.

Fiberglass is much easier to maintain than steel, does not degrade or rust in salt water, I don't really understand your friend's reasoning.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 00:01   #3

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Look at the "VAT Paid" status. Many boats entering the second hand market are former charter, on which VAT has not been paid. This means that a EU buyer will have to paid between 17% and 25% in tax to get VAT Paid status. That depresses the price.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 00:11   #4

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odessey 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Look at the "VAT Paid" status. Many boats entering the second hand market are former charter, on which VAT has not been paid. This means that a EU buyer will have to paid between 17% and 25% in tax to get VAT Paid status. That depresses the price.
Would I still have to pay VAT if I was taking it out of Europe? I Think I have to pay the GST on it when it gets here
Greig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 00:38   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greig View Post
Would I still have to pay VAT if I was taking it out of Europe? I Think I have to pay the GST on it when it gets here
No, you won't have to pay VAT if you take delivery in a non VAT country or VAT exempt zone.
Old 05-09-2015, 00:52   #6

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Have a look at ferro cement boats.

People tend to shy away from them so prices are better and you can get a lot of boat for your money.

Do not rust nor are subject to worm.

Get good survey done by someone who knows ferro cement.

example:-

http://www.tradeaboat.co.nz/detail/m...ahitian/245622
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 01:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
No, you won't have to pay VAT if you take delivery in a non VAT country or VAT exempt zone.
As a non EU resident the OP can buy the boat anywhere in the EU, register it in NZ and get the 18 months VAT free time within the EU.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:11   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
When I was looking, the listed price of the VAT & non-VAT paid boats were pretty much the same. I suspect that the non-VAT paid boats would be more negotiable on price.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:15   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I think the real answer is not that yachts are so much cheaper in Europe, it is more that Australia and New Zealand are vastly over priced.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 01:17   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
As a non EU resident the OP can buy the boat anywhere in the EU, register it in NZ and get the 18 months VAT free time within the EU.
As non EU residents, we were required to take delivery outside the VAT territory. In our case Guernsey, in order to qualify for the 18 month exemption.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
As non EU residents, we were required to take delivery outside the VAT territory. In our case Guernsey, in order to qualify for the 18 month exemption.
There's been plenty of Aussies & Kiwi's buying in the EU and quite a few threads about this. Never heard this requirement before. I doubt that every one of these purchases were for VAT paid yachts.

I do recall there was some 30 day to get out of the EU clause, but I thought that was for EU residents wanting to avoid VAT
Old 05-09-2015, 02:18   #12
cruiser

Well.... I can only speak for my UK, Spanish and Italian purchasing experiences. Whether for the boat or items which were purchased for the boat, all required the payment of VAT unless I took delivery of the items outside the VAT zone. And there was virtually no way possible for us to be refunded the VAT on items such as an including our new anchor, turbo, engine work done the first year, boat storage.... Basically everything.

If its purchased within the VAT zone, you will pay VAT... purchased outside the VAT zone, no payment of VAT.

I'm not an EU resident. A delivery crew was hired by the previous owner to deliver our boat to Guernsey, specifically to avoid VAT, the boat anchored next to me right now, the same story except their went to Gibraltar for delivery. Boats from the UK travel all the time to Guernsey and Jersey for the new owners to avoid VAT if it's not required of them. Vessels sold in the Med. travel to Gibraltar to do the same.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:33   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Those boats are more expensive in NZ and AUS partly because it costs a lot of time/money to get those boats from where they are manufactured to half way around the world and you have to pay duty/GST when you get them there.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:07   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Those boats are more expensive in NZ and AUS partly because it costs a lot of time/money to get those boats from where they are manufactured to half way around the world and you have to pay duty/GST when you get them there.
I would agree with you-only...........

Japan is next door to you so to speak and everything from there on sale in Oz or NZ is waaaay expensive.
We in Europe buy everything from China or Japan or Taiwan and its half the cost even with import tax and VAT.

You need to have a chat with your gov pricing dept.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:35   #15
cruiser

The smart Australians and New Zealanders play the endless summer game by leaving the boat in the Med. Six months in the Med, May-October, then six months back at home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	108458  

Tags
cheap, Europe, rope, yacht