Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2015, 08:05   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why are yachts so much cheaper in Europe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiekeith View Post
It's all rather confusing, but apparently the Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, Sark and Herm) are not part of the UK or the European Union for VAT purposes.

Introduction

The formal relationship between the Channel Islands and the EU is enshrined in Protocol 3 of the UK’s 1972 Accession Treaty, and confirmed in what is now Article 355 (5) (c) of the EU Treaties. Under Protocol 3, the Islands are part of the Customs Union and are essentially within the Single Market for the purposes of trade in goods, but are third countries (ie outside the EU) in all other respects. However the Channel Islands have a close relationship with the EU in many different fields, not simply those covered by the formal relationship under Protocol 3, as this note explains. Both Jersey and Guernsey voluntarily implement appropriate EU legislation or apply the international standards on which they are based.

The EU and the Channel Islands | Channel Islands Brussels Office (CIBO)

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:19   #32

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)
Re: Why are yachts so much cheaper in Europe?

It also depends on where in Europe you buy. The Med. region is much cheaper than northern Europe.
During the GFC prices from Spain to Greece were mad as credit was so hard to get.
There is however another market even cheaper. Have you checked prices in Thailand / Malaysia. I bought an ex charter Bavaria for half the cost of a comparable boat in Oz. Marina and maintenance costs are also half those in Oz. I sail her 2-3 times a year for 2-3 months at a time in some of the most interesting waters in the world. In fact I'm heading there on Monday for a couple of months.
I will bring her back to Oz in 2-3 years time but even with taxes she will be cheaper than buying local.
PM me if you want to know more.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:34   #33

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

You want cheap, come to the US. Our model boat lists for 3-5 times in Europe what you can commonly find in the US...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:20   #34

Boat: Hanse 445

I'm in NZ and looking to do the exact same thing as the OP.

From what I understand being up for tax when purchasing the boat will depend on where the boat is currently registered. For example I am looking at a boat which was launched in EU waters, owned by Russian and registered in the BVI. No tax has been paid on this boat, so I believe I can just pay the price and export it to NZ after it's been deregistered from BVI and registered in NZ.

My idea is to just pluck it straight out of the water put it on a truck to a major port and ship it over, a cost which is coming in at around 70k USD from the quotes I've got. Add this to the purchase price, add duty, exchange rate and GST to everything and doing this is still cheaper than buying a smaller new base boat in NZ. Plus a 2-3 year old boat in the med comes with a lot of inventory and upgrades, generators, electric winches, which to put on a new boat in NZ would bump the price significantly.

The NZD has just recently dropped against the EUR which has added even more to the landed price in NZ but I still think it's a viable option.

Voltage in the EU is the same as NZ/AUS so no issue there apart from the outlets will be a little different.

The problem in NZ is there just isn't the stock of boats to buy. Plenty of sub 90/80's boats. No way I'd get my wife on one of them. Showed her a 99 Oyster the other day, outta my price range but she still screwed her face up. Dock queen it is then!!

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
rkjbnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:38   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greig View Post
Would I still have to pay VAT if I was taking it out of Europe? I Think I have to pay the GST on it when it gets here
I'm not sure how your GST works, but in Canada, if I bring my US registered boat in, no GST. However, if I change the registration to Canada, the moment it hits the first port GST becomes payable.

Do you have the option of registering your boat in a third country or does NZ consider it imported if it is there over a certain period of time?
Old 05-09-2015, 10:20   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACHLANC View Post
While New Zealanders have prior specific country visa arrangements with some Schengen countries for longer than 3 month stays, I'm pretty sure Australia doesn't.
My mistake, I thought both had that advantage.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:37   #37

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post

Last time I heard someone trying to do this, they found pieces of the boat washed up on an island in the Pacific.
i have nothing to say about your opinion but, the above statement is a bit silly. what? does no one sail in the ocean anymore? is it, now, impossible to sail from europe to the land down under due to an increase in sea monsters? if you can't sail there because your boat will end up as pieces floating ashore, how the heck
did europeans (or anyone for that matter) get there in the first place? i know they didn't take a flight there. (you know, because there were no runways before people got there. silly. i bet you thought i was going to say because there were no airplanes back then )
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:38   #38

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I'm not sure how your GST works, but in Canada, if I bring my US registered boat in, no GST. However, if I change the registration to Canada, the moment it hits the first port GST becomes payable.

Do you have the option of registering your boat in a third country or does NZ consider it imported if it is there over a certain period of time?
To the best of my knowledge.... if, as a New Zealander, you arrive with a foreign flag boat you have to import on arrival. Same as happened to me with a UK flag yacht arriving in Australia 21 years ago.

However, in Oz, once imported I didn't have to change the flag... I assume this is the same in NZ.

You wouldn't have a NZ flagged yacht in a purple fit if you wanted to leave the country again......
Old 05-09-2015, 11:50   #39

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
You want cheap, come to the US. Our model boat lists for 3-5 times in Europe what you can commonly find in the US...
SSHHHH don't say that! for pete's sake. if obama finds out about that, he will do everything he can to get prices raised to the costs paid in Australia because it's not fair that we get them so cheap. didn't you learn your lesson with gas prices?
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 14:32   #40

Boat: Lots of boats.

I just paid less than $2 a gallon for gas in VA. I have to say, I like the direction gas prices have been going. And used boats have never been cheaper. Supply and demand still works in the U.S.A.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 15:37   #41

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

I bought two Dutch yachts in Holland or the Netherlands, before EU was formed but the dollar bought three guilders and ten and a half francs. I paid 22,000 us for a 36' Van de Stadt Tulla and she did not, I REPEAT,not rust. So BOO! She brought 38,000 us in the states three yeasts later. No kind of hull material is more or less maintenance, they are just different kinds of work! Buy what you like.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 16:55   #42

Boat: Catalina 470

+1 to what Ken writes here!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
More yachts for sale, fewer buyers as a result of economic issues is why yachts are cheaper in Europe. Simple, supply and demand.

Fiberglass is much easier to maintain than steel, does not degrade or rust in salt water, I don't really understand your friend's reasoning.
And, just in case it wasn't clear...
GRP / Fiberglass is MUCH easier to maintain....
Actually, if you're not concerned about the shinny / gloss of your hull, there is NO maintenance to all at all....for decades and decades!!

Fair winds..

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 17:20   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I'm a boilermaker-welder & avoid steel for keeler construction as it's such a major stripping out everything for a repaint. GRP is less work if you dont get one with osmosis. I saw some cheap sailboats in the USA 2 years ago compared to NZ also.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 18:15   #44

Boat: 1973 CHB sedan

Go to you tube bring up " La Vagabonde " site and ask Riley about purchasing O/S.
He has done just that and is an Aussie.
chiefcoxswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 18:21   #45

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
My mistake, I thought both had that advantage.
As an Australian, I wish they both did!!
LACHLANC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, Europe, rope, yacht