Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2015, 11:03   #16

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39
Re: Why are the Amel Super Maramu SO ugly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio View Post
The Amel boats are certainly very marine, safe and spacious.
There are boats as valid and secure, much more beautiful and more performing for example Najad and Halberg Rassy
I'm not familiar with the Najad, but IMO Halberg Rassy is the antithesis of both beautiful and performing.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:10   #17

They were and are designed by a Frenchman......Captain Henri Amel whose goal was to have a standardized open ocean cruising boat mostly for couples.....
I agree with you but they are really a "cult".
svinvictus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:21   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The "Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder" principle always should be remembered when one is discussing design or aesthetics.

I think any thread discussing the merits of design or visual appeal should include at least two things:

1. Photos of the boat being criticized by the OP

2. Photos of the boats the OP does like (so we can see his/her taste in boats).

In other words, show us what you see and like as well as don't like.

Since the Amel Super Maramu has been mentioned as the subject of this thread, and not every member of CF will know what they look like, here are a few photos from my files.

Note: I happen to like the look, layout, use of materials, headroom, and appreciate the design and practical engineering or design of the boats for their designed purpose.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5472.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	110501   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5475.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	110502  

Name:	IMG_5476.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	110503   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5478.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	110504  

Name:	IMG_5489.jpg
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	110505   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5491.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	110506  

Name:	IMG_5959.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	110507   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6165.jpg
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	110508  

Name:	Amel SuperMaramu Vberth.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	110509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amel SuperMaramu 53 1993 $249 USA Galley2.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	110510  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:21   #19

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

I had never seen one before So I looked at one on Yacht World. And wouldn't you know...the one I looked at did not have bright blue floors Just regular old teak and holly sole. The yellow sink though....totally up-gradable.

Beats the plaid upholstery I have seen on some boats though. You know the kind...the stuff that looks like the Brady Bunch took to sea.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:33   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

The beauty is in the onlookers eye. And that's probably the whole answer.

If you do not like Amel's interior, do not buy one. You do not like colours? Get a Dutch or a Swedish boat. The French are known for joy de vivre, and so are their boats. Mediterranean vs. Nordic. Almodovar vs. Bergman.

Bonus answer: I am afraid if you take an Amel on its features then they are pretty alone in the field, vast majority of other boats of this size are either charter-oriented or otherwise compartialised.

On the second thought, try Cigale. Nearly as simple as an Amel but different colourset inside.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:49   #21

Boat: Hunter 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
The "Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder" principle always should be remembered when one is discussing design or aesthetics.

I think any thread discussing the merits of design or visual appeal should include at least two things:

Since the Amel Super Maramu has been mentioned as the subject of this thread, and not every member of CF will know what they look like, here are a few photos from my files.

Note: I happen to like the look, layout, use of materials, headroom, and appreciate the design and practical engineering or design of the boats for their designed purpose.

I looked at one of these with a friend of mine who eventually bought one. Whoever took those pictures was a real artist with a camera. He must had was a lightening bolt to light it up. I found the interior dark and prison like with security bars over the hatches. The are at least 50 compartments for storage which was a plus but you will need a data base to find things you have stored. That being said, it was built like a tanks but with quirky french touches. I would feel very safe going offshore but with a small center cockpit you would spend a lot of time below. I would feel depressed. YMMV
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:38   #22

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Steady, I didn't see anything ugly in any of the photos. The hullform, at least above the water, impressed me as a good sea boat with attributes I look for; reserve bouancy, overhangs, a small reverse counter, nice wheelhouse, strong looking ketch rig. Nice boat that is out of my reach.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:38   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

They are good strong safe boats easy for a couple to sail. They are well thought out and comfortable. They have plenty of tank capacity and sturdy well built equipment. Why every boat doesn't come with a hard dodger I will never understand. Have never seen one with blue plastic floors but the green cushions aren't my taste however someone thought they were a good idea.

They are a true passagemaker and part of that genre is that they are easy to maintain.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:40   #24

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Ever try to get the starter motor off the Yanmar powered model ? Major un-plumbing and un-wiring job.Real PITA.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:44   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Ever try to get the starter motor off the Yanmar powered model ? Major un-plumbing and un-wiring job.Real PITA.
Yes, but that is about par for the course is it not? I read lots of posts about the heartache people go through to get their starters off, including lifting the motor.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 13:02   #26

Ugly is a strong word! I wouldn't use that word even on your typical multihull or some of the new pizza styled wonders.
The Amel is designed for a purpose and form follows function. Colours are easy to change and everyone has different opinions on colours. The Amel will cross oceans with ease and while not a speed bomb will still turn in a good days run while making it easy on the crew. A much better choice for crossing oceans than your typical entry level production boat. The more ocean miles you sail them the prettier they become. ( no I don't own one)
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 17:32   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Ugly is in the eye of the beholder.

S/V B'Shert
When I had both my cataracts fixed everything looked much brighter. Maybe some designers need their cataracts fixed. On the other hand some buyers may not have had theirs fixed yet and the colors seem subdued to them.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 17:33   #28

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

YOU'RE ugly!
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 17:42   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post

Id like one of those!! I'd get rid of that cheap painting in the dinette though and hang an original Picasso instead.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:07   #30

Boat: Sandibar 35

Haha, maybe it's because I'm Finnish, but I also don't appreciate the interior of Amels from the pics and videos I've seen. Spotted a Super Maramu in Sardinia last summer and have to say it's an impressive boat from the outside and I don't mind the exterior looks at all. The interior design to me also seems a bit strange and not very appealing. I do like a classic wood interior, but somehow the cabinetry + color scheme looks off. Also the lay out of the master cabin and fore cabin are a bit special. I'm sure these are functional choices and I have a hunch that spending any amount of time on one could change my mind.
That said, I'm still drawn to a Santorin as a next boat, if we ever choose to venture farther than Europe. The Super Maramu's too big and expensive.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote