Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-08-2010, 01:57   #1

Boat: Thinking and looking
Why Are So Many '80 and '81 Models for Sale ?

When I look at the classifieds it seems there is an overabundance of 1980-1981 models for sale. I was just wondering if this is due to insurance coverage limits or something else.

suwanee62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:01   #2

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Was it a knee jerk reaction to the 79 oil shortage and price rise?
Did power boaters sell and opt for sail?
Maybe the oil problems didnt affect the US in the same way they did over here?

I dont think bankers had massive bonuses to spend back in the day, like they do now on property or in the 90's on fast cars, so there must be another reason.

Humans are driven by popularist thinking, you only have to look at the spate of kids names that follow the rise of someone popular in the public eye.

anjou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:47   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
There was a boatbuilding frenzy of sorts just prior to and during that particular time. It could be that there just were more boats built then and now sellers are wanting to shed them. In '81 when I was looking for my first boat purchase, Catalina 22s from the 70s were advertised at $5500 and Folkboats at $12500. A Cal 2-25 was $5500. Those prices stick in my head and they were 1981 dollars. I don't know the comparison of '81 dollars to 2010 dollars but there were just a lot of people buying boats and production boatbuilding was strong.
kind regards,
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 22:24   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think those fiberglass boats from the 70's and 80's are going to take a loooong time to dissappear from the market. Most boats see light use, and a plastic boat used lightly and maintained properly, can probably last indefinitely. I'd guess it's a tough market for *new* to be competitive.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 15:36   #5

I don't know that this is a fact. I am sure someone on this forum does know. But I seem to recall reading once that fiberglass manufacture changed from solid to cored and in other ways and the process was not yet perfected. Some results were blistering, delamination, etc. Perhaps that was during the 80's and makes them more difficult to sell. Anyone else hear/read about this?
sjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 16:10   #6

Insurance could be a problem, but for a properly maintained vessel (passing the survey)it shouldn't be. Lots of those vintage boats were heavy on the "teak". When maintained they look great, when they aren't, they don't. I think most owners and especially people looking for a new to them boat are put off by the amount of time needed to maintain the wood on these boats. Therefore most of the people want a boat with no wood or minimal wood. If one could market a good "elbow grease" which satisfied the owner ( good feelings when used), the market would improve for these neglected boats.
Mark Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 17:50   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Because the owners are getting old. In 1990 an early to mid 1980's boat was the most modern, and fastest, thing going and the larger yachts were not inexpensive. Guys (and sometimes women) bought them and cared for them (and frequentlty sailed the hell out of them) but if you were 50 when you bought the boat, you're now in your early to mid '70's and time does catch up with you, sooner or later, eh?

"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: