Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2009, 10:27   #1

Boat: William Garden Ketch Builder Duncan Marine Freedom 45 Bequia Chief
Who's The Designer?

I own a Taiwan Built Boat. The Boats name is Bequia Chief.
Built in the yard of Duncan Marine Enterprises. 1974.
I beleave it is hull 8 of 29. Can ANYONE conferm that it is a W. Garden design. If so point me to a place where I can get more infromation on it.
Or perhaps give the Designer. Here are a few pictures to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	465.3 KB
ID:	7453   Click image for larger version

Name:	BequiaChief-12.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	7454  

Name:	BequiaChief-11.1.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	7455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 009.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	503.8 KB
ID:	7456  

Name:	Picture 010.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	528.4 KB
ID:	7457  
Bequia Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 13:27   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A gallery of William Garden Sailboat Designs: WholeBoat - a boating community

See if your library has a copy of “Yacht Designs of William Garden” , and /or "Yacht Designs II”, both by William Garden, or goto:
Amazon.com: Yacht Designs: William Garden: Books

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 16:21   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42
She looks like a William Garden Porpoise. See Boats for Sale - Yachts for Sale - Used & New Boats @ The Yacht Hub and WholeBoat - a boating community
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 06:59   #4

Thank You svHyLyte But not the Porpoise design. But I will try the local library. I have looked all over the net with no luck.
Old 05-08-2009, 19:38   #5

Boat: William Garden Ketch
Bequia Chief,

I too have a hull built in Duncan Marine. I have just been in touch with the wife of the shipyard owner and she is very knowledgeable about the boats designs etc. She says she is also trying to see how many are still around etc. She told me my hull which looks like yours was called a Freedom 45 and was William Garden’s Pixie design although modified a bit.

PM me back and I will ask her if ok to send your email address.

Cheers

Mark
SariTimur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:19   #6

Thanks Mark I would like to find more on this Boat. What is the name of your Boat?
You can e-mail at my office lbuxton@transmontainge.com or my home lbuxton@cox.net Your infomation was good. I wandered why my main sail had F 45 on it. How about exchanging a few pictures? I have compleatly replaced the deck of the Chief, and am working on the new teak now.
Old 05-12-2009, 18:48   #7

My family used to own this boat

My parents bought this boat back in 1987 (or '88). We overhauled it in Emeryville, California and went on a cruise starting in the fall of 1988. We sailed from San Francisco through the Panama canal and up to Florida in a period of about 16 months. If you need any information on the boat, I'm sure my parents could help you out. I do remember that it is a Freedom 45. we were caught in several nasty storms in both the Pacific and the Caribbean. She was a rock solid boat!!
Former Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 23:14   #8

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Wow...now that's a pretty cool pair of first posts and discovery for both of you...the power of the Internet.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:28   #9

I have talked by e-mail to your parents. They sent me some pictures and are the ones that started me on this quest for infromation. I have confermed that the Bequia Chief is a take off of the Pixie design by William Garden. And may be one of Two hulls built by Dungan Marine. Update on progress is the upper deck is now painted and helm in place. Still putting down Teak....... Thank you for your reply. If you would like updates send me your e-mail. mine are above. Ps. I have a picture of your family on the boat.
Old 11-11-2010, 15:36   #10

Old post but ...

My father built this boat. And if it is for sale, I have a buyer.

John Duncan
johnnydunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 00:33   #11

Hi John,

Both Larry and I have contacted your mother on our respective boats. Larry's was finished off before the yard went into liquidation. Mine was not complete but was later finished off by private contractors and launched in 1980. I would love to get a date when the yard was wound up as that would give me a hull build date.

We are currently cruising Sari Timur again. We are currently in North Borneo and heading to the Philippines with in the next two weeks.

You can send me a private message if you want to exchange email addresses. Or you can check out our blogsite by visiting my profile on this forum.

Cheers

Mark Blasky
Old 12-11-2010, 14:28   #12

As far as I know the Taiwan yard closed in 1974, the year both I and my Duncan sailboat were born. I'm in the Caribbean headed for the canal. Been restoring my own boat, Tessie (formerly Pythagoras) back in Boston for years, where it now waits while I deliver a French-built cutter to Australia.

Although I only have email in port (some ports), I'll look for you guys direct.

Johnny
johnnydunc@gmail.com
johnnydunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 13:43   #13

Re: Who's The Designer?

I know this is a old thread but I am the owner of hull #7 "Jonathan" and second owner for 20+ years. Hull #12 is about a mile from me still working on it's compleation. I have several old pictures of yard and workers as well as boats durring build if anyones interested.
BluH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:24   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Blu.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 18:46   #15

Hi Blu,

Where are you located? What is the size? Duncan Marine built many sizes from what I can gather. Sari Timur was (we think) the last hull laid up by them but never finished. The original owner bought the hull from a sheriff's auction and used contractors to fit it out the rest of the way. So we look a little different from Larry's Bequia Chief ( the only other Duncan I have seen photos of). We have just arrived in Homer Alaska and will eventually work our way around the N. American continent to the Great Lakes via Panama if all things go as planned before working our way back to Singapore. So if we are passing your area let us know and we will swap stories over a beer or tea, if that is your preference.

Cheers

Mark

Tags
designer