Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 12:22   #1

Whitby25 Design Flaw?

I first saw her advertised on the net, then it took a year before I was able to see her for real... Started major refit in December, changed almost everything inside-out including sleeving epoxying and riveting the broken mast.
The boat was painted and ready for launch as soon as the ice melted.
She was launched as agreed and for the first time in my life I was on a sailboat.
Started the 4hp pulled out of the marina and set anchor 100ft from shore, it was the start of a amassing experience ...
Spent my first day trying to stop water ingress from my cockpit drain valves and tomorrow I will cut my rigging and stand my mast up... All was good.
This is going to be my first night at anchor, a well anticipated night indeed...the wind picked up and I woken to a sever hobby hors, bucket between legs and some shade of green i was experiencing my first motion sickness symptom, couldn't move the boat and surly can't enter the marina in such condition... First morning light the wind slowed down enough for me to enter and duck to safety... A man who saw me bouncing arond last night assured me that once my mast is set up she will settle to a nice steady motion.
So the rigging was cut and mast erected, the main fitted perfectly on its first reef point and the only jib was 150% . So off I went on my very first sail ever with no prior experience and clueless about sailing and it's physics.
Oh forgot to mention that I've capsized my dingy (kayak) 100ft from shore and nearly died frozen the prior day...

Anyway hear I am on my way to Lake Huron from little current... First impression , the boat is way faster then my friends nash26 in every way. Good in light winds and fast in moderate wind she's steady as a train on tracks and I remember thinking then, I won't need an auto pilot with this boat.
Spent my first night at anchor in witwimicong Indian reserve , the boat hobby horses like crazy all night, and no matter how I distributed the load she showed no sing of taming whatsoever , from now on she be called Crazy Horse...
The sail to Lake Huron was intensive and fast but comfortable, until Owen strai where I broached tear the mainsail and broke tiller... This man was scared stiff and wanted out ASAP, problem there's nowhere to go except back to where I started, the entire coast is rocks and unfriendly . All the way back I hade one thing on my mind, stir the boat to land and jump off, but it proved impossible so I engine back like a headless chicken to ground zero... Must have. Hit dozen rocks and grounded 3 times at night, I did every mistakes in the book on my first voyage. Finally got back to little current and docked between other sailboats, spent the next day watching crazy hors safely tied up alongside other sailboats, she was kicking like a bronco on steroids while the other boats where barely moving ... With tears in my eyes I knew she wasn't for me regardless of the work I've done and my love for design...
Turned my collar to the wind set my eyes on Intensive a grampian26 and 2 days later she was launched and off to Georgian bay...
I've sailed Incentive in just about any conditions a few weeks and never felt in danger, crossed the bay from Killarney to Club island to Cabot Head to Lion Head to Owen Sound to Midland in fog, rain high winds...
Now that I am back to Montreal with my family, I can't help thinking of Crazy Horse and wonder... Was it my lack of experience ? Was it the limited choice of sails? Or a combination of all this? She's sitting at the duck where I've abandoned her waiting for me to decide of her faith... I am sadden to even think she might go back on the hard and wast away in time to be forgotten again...

Talk to me sailors!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	63887  
Incentive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:46   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Whitby25 Design Flaw?

The Whitby 25 is a Folkboat in disguise. Flokboats are pretty good sea boats. Must have been you and not the boat.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:32   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Incentive.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Incentive.
Tanks!

Iv given lots of information in m'y post....the boat hobby horses mostly at anchor and docking....I've played with load distribution in many ways without effect on the boats behaviour....I've Inquire about this on similar boats like contessa26 and they don't seem to do this.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:27   #5

Boat: Alberg 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
The Whitby 25 is a Folkboat in disguise. Flokboats are pretty good sea boats. Must have been you and not the boat.
+1

You are a braver (or more foolish) man than I....
bluemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoose View Post

+1

You are a braver (or more foolish) man than I....
Maybe? But one thing for sure I've learned so much that it was all worth it.
I am going back and will sail crazy horse to Lake Huron in less frigid waters and see what she's really made of...
Old 27-08-2013, 20:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incentive View Post

Maybe? But one thing for sure I've learned so much that it was all worth it.
I am going back and will sail crazy horse to Lake Huron in less frigid waters and see what she's really made of...
I have calculated the weight distribution at the time when my boat expressed sever hobby horsing, tow 6volts rolls batteries (250lbs) outboard engine, 40 litters gas, 16l olive oil, spare anchor kit, generator, and 60lbs caning food, at least 1000lbs total... The rest of the boat was loaded with light stuff like clothing's, sail a few tools, not much when I think of it... My question now, is this enough to cause sever hobby horsing?