Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2011, 16:23   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Whitby 42 - Your Thoughts ?

I am looking for a boat to live on board in Annapolis. Also it needs to be one that I can single hand or short hand, primarily in the Chesapeake Bay.

I just looked over a Whitby 42, ketch rig, 1980. It is on the hard, the hull cleaned and painted. It has a full suite of new electronics, the broker did not know if it was because of getting ready to do a cruise or a lightning strike. All exterior shows a lack of care, the teak has nothing on it and I think I saw possible splits. The masts show a lot of rubbing, I did not see the sails. All the hatches need new seals. Interior is okay. Just a lot of use, nothing that would be a problem for me.

It has new or rebuilt heads. The engine was replaced in 1992 and has less than 2000 hours on it. Many of the systems were repaired or replaced in 2009/2010 for a long cruise so are still in good condition.

I don't know if the keel tank has been removed or replaced; the broker is getting me that info.

I think the running rigging will need replacement in the next year or two. The standing rigging looks good. If I go any further I will get a survey done.

The big question is what do you think? As a liveaboard boat in general; as a boat for the Chesapeake Bay; for the price of $100K US; or whatever?
Old 20-08-2011, 16:46   #2

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Re: Whitby 42 - Your Thought?

Here are Jack Horner's thoughts:

BoatUS.com: Boat Reviews by Jack Hornor, N.A. - Whitby 42

I looked at the boat on Yachtworld...The interior looks pretty well kept..unless they were old photos...

1979 Whitby 42 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 20-08-2011, 17:02   #3

Boat: Bristol 38.8

100K is high for a 1980 Whitby IMHO, If you can spend that or a little more, get a Brewer 42 (also called the Brewer 12.8). Thje Brewer 12.8 looks like a Whitby, but sails better. There is also the Brewer 44, which I believe is the same hull with a swim platform. Many of the second generation Brewer ketches were built by Fort Myers Shipbuilding in FL and many are centerboarders.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 18:09   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Checkout the Pearson 365, 385, 425. They are way less money and offer what you need for liveaboard cruising. Not great sailorsto weather because of the shallow draft more than adequate to get anywhere you can think to go.

If you are single handing, a smaller boat than 42' might be a better choice. Not because you can't sail a larger boat but because they are so hard to handle in close quarters of a marina.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 09:01   #5

I would look at this Brewer 12.8 in Oriental, NC before committing to the Whitby. It's listed at $82K and you could almost certainly get it for less. The centerboard makes it a better Chesapeake boat IMHO. You'll probably have to rebuild the engine, but after the rebuild it would still cost less than the Whitbty and would likely have higher resale value.

1983 Brewer 12.8 Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 21-08-2011, 09:48   #6

Me-and-Boo, there is a Whitby rendezvous at the West River Yacht Club Oct. 3-5 and a Whitby website at whitbybrewersailboats dot com which has details. Come find out all about the Whitbys. We've had our Whitby 18 years, in the Chesapeake, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean and love it. Great liveaboard. I'm happy to answer any question you might have.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 09:55   #7

Boat: 1979 CC Chen Aries-32; Thomas Gilmer Design- Hull #23
Send a message via Skype™ to Ciabi

If you're serious about this Whitby do yourself a favor and do two things- obtain a professional survey of the hull and rig, and perform a lien search. Hopefully your broker would lead you down that path, but you never know.
Ciabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 12:24   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciabi View Post
If you're serious about this Whitby do yourself a favor and do two things- obtain a professional survey of the hull and rig, and perform a lien search. Hopefully your broker would lead you down that path, but you never know.
Anything I buy that costs more than my car gets a survey, and my car was very cheap.

Thanks all for the tips.
Old 21-08-2011, 16:48   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Whitby 42 - Your Thoughts ?

You can engage Ted Brewer for $300 to advice you.

Money well spent. He won't pull any punches.

Go to the horses mouth.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 07:49   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
You can engage Ted Brewer for $300 #350 to advise you.
Go to the horses mouth.
Indeed.
Ted Brewer Yacht Design

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 18:39   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciabi View Post
Under U.S. law, the majority of the liens on a boat will be "inchoate." These liens are statutory and do not require a filing that can be searched. They arise when a contractor or a boat yard did work on the boat and was not paid. The only thing a lien search is likely to pick up is an unpaid mortgage on the boat. So (at least in the U.S.), a lien search is not worth the expense IMHO.

A good survey, on the other hand, is essential.
Old 22-08-2011, 19:36   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
You can engage Ted Brewer for $300 to advice you.

Go to the horses mouth.
I called Mr Brewer and he talked with me for 20 mins.I found him to be honest and non- biased, not to mention he's "THE MAN" when it comes to sailboats,and I think he also designed some motor-boats.Very nice fellow and didnt charge me anything for his time, of course it was nothing formal just general conversation about one of his designs.good luck DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:38   #13
Marine Service Provider

I just joined the Forum and found this thread through a search. I know you asked the question some time ago so you may have already made up your mind and acted. In 2007 I was looking for a Whitby and my broker at the time steered me to the Brewer 12.8. We bought it and never looked back. Especially for single handing and size this is great vessel. Now I am bias and also have a Brewer for sale but here are some things we found:
1. Compared to the Whitby reasonably good handling in close quarters due the different keel configuration then the Whitby unless of course it has a bow thruster.
2. Deck is much more accessible without the additional mast and stays.
3. The shoal draft with center board is excellent.
4. We researched and visited many other 42 foot cruising boats and found the pluses more for the Brewer.
In general for both Whitbys and Brewers I found the heavy displacement boat and large engine a joy. Never felt unsafe and always had the power in current situations etc. She sailed and motored extremely well and we motored alot. The center cockpit is second to none for an older designed boat.
Good luck in your search.
Bill10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:00   #14

Boat: Gulfstar 50

From what I can tell, the Whitby 42's seem to be sale for about 65k in this market unless they are out of this world. And if 100k is total budget for buy and update the W42 would be a good bet.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:04   #15

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II

I know it is a little bit late for a reply on this post, but since people were talking about prices for a Whitby 42, I have to add that a well refurbished W42 should not sell for less than $100K, I am not talking about the casual repainting of the hull and a can of engine paint, but an overall review of everything on board and at least a rebuilt engine. I purchased mine 6 years ago and have re-done a lot of things that most W42 do not bother replacing like water tanks, all the sanitary and plumbing, electricity, engine rebuild, etc. the big stuff on top of the cosmetic work on the deck, cockpit, inside and outside. There is a beautiful one currently for sale in TX for 150K and by looking at it, there were a lot of upgrade on this one!