Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-03-2012, 15:00   #16

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Whitby 42 - Your Thoughts ?

AHHH ya can ask 150,000 for a cored below the waterline boat, but that don't mean your gonna get it in this market !! theres some FINE boats newer and better found out there for under that priceasking means I hope in this market ! Just the 2 cents from someone whos out there looking not just online !!

Old 12-03-2012, 15:37   #17

Boat: Catalina 30

I appreciate the additional posts about these boats. The boat I looked at was on the hard after a return trip. Although much was new, much needs attention or refit. A refit on her would start at her price of $100K.
I do like to look at these boats in the future. Right now I need to get mine on the water and moving north for me to enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandgilbert99 View Post
I know it is a little bit late for a reply on this post, but since people were talking about prices for a Whitby 42, I have to add that a well refurbished W42 should not sell for less than $100K, I am not talking about the casual repainting of the hull and a can of engine paint, but an overall review of everything on board and at least a rebuilt engine. I purchased mine 6 years ago and have re-done a lot of things that most W42 do not bother replacing like water tanks, all the sanitary and plumbing, electricity, engine rebuild, etc. the big stuff on top of the cosmetic work on the deck, cockpit, inside and outside. There is a beautiful one currently for sale in TX for 150K and by looking at it, there were a lot of upgrade on this one!

Old 12-03-2012, 16:10   #18

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
AHHH ya can ask 150,000 for a cored below the waterline boat, but that don't mean your gonna get it in this market !! theres some FINE boats newer and better found out there for under that priceasking means I hope in this market ! Just the 2 cents from someone whos out there looking not just online !!
This is a wrong description you are giving, there is no core below the waterline, I know, I have drilled several holes for new underwater equipment and NO CORE. There is also a rumour that the junction hull and deck is riveted, which I can also challenge because I have re-done part of the toe-rail in teak and have seen the bolts, they can be seen also all the way around the boat in some interior cabinets.

And by the way, my boat is not for sale, I just saw a beautiful one on YW. If you find a better and newer boat for that kind of price, good for you!
Old 12-03-2012, 17:02   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
+1 on what RolandGilbert said, there is no core below the waterline on a Whitby. Don't know where that legend came from, but it's not true.
Old 12-03-2012, 20:10   #20

Boat: Pearson 422
If you're looking for a W42 in great shape, check out Morning Light on yacht world. No financial connection, but we know the boat and owner. Incredibly well maintained.
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 20:36   #21

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ahh I believe in the second post on here is a report by a NA about the bild of hull and deck of these boats I would think he mite have a bunch to lose if he printed facts that were incorrect in his findings that were used by Boat US in there ins, prices ?? I would think he knows about what he put in print !! Just saying! I found this report over a yr ago and have based my search on reports like this !!!
Old 12-03-2012, 22:24   #22

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

It's interesting...A bum on the street could tell you a hull had core and we would dismiss it without a second thought but put it in a book or on the net and it becomes gospel. Believe none of what you hear and only 1/2 of what you see.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 08:46   #23

+1 on Morning Light, great owner, great boat. And there are others, contact Doug Stephenson at Yachts with Experience, he worked for Whitby and has most of those for sale listed.
Old 13-03-2012, 10:34   #24

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
+1 on Morning Light, great owner, great boat. And there are others, contact Doug Stephenson at Yachts with Experience, he worked for Whitby and has most of those for sale listed.
And Doug will tell you that there is no core under the waterline and the rivets in the hull-deck joint were temporary ones to hold the pieces together before they bolted them (his explaination). Doug has already made a point on these topics and someone still argue there is core under the waterline and so on, while we have tangible proof this is not true.

Some people will feel better believing in old lies rather than new truths, that's common practice in this world.
Old 14-03-2012, 10:49   #25

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22

Hi:

Finally got my butt on board a W42. I do indeed have headroom in the main cabin. The aft cabin is 3 or 4 inches shorter than the 6'5" or so in the main cabin.

The passage way to the aft cabin is near useless for me. I don't think I will fear that passageway being missing in other designs like say the CSY 44 walk over.

Another point that was driven home for me was the "all the extra rigging" issue with a Ketch. With my height, and size 15 feet, I did not get a good vibe walking to the aft of the boat. I think for me the better idea is big guy -> big sails OK -> sloop.

Not ruling out a W42, but I think it has moved down a few positions. At this point, I certainly won't be bidding aggressively.

Boulter

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: