Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2015, 09:59   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Whitby 42: Bringing her back from the grave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
One other thing we should take note of is this:

A 42' yacht requires an owner of means. That is to say that the ongoing costs of ownership: slip rent, insurance, regular haul-outs for maintenance, sail replacements, property tax, etc, are not for someone on a tight budget.
Excellent point. Even if the boat is free and doesn't need work there are significant, ongoing costs to own it.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:28   #17

If we can put aside the ownership costs for a moment...

For the OP: do a custom Google search on this or any other boating forum under "project boats" and you'll find much the same information and feedback as has been provided here. These are among some of the best. The concept is basic: work or sail-and-fix-as-you-go.

We spent a year looking for our boat (and ONLY this make & model) and saw altogether too many examples of horrible neglect. And those boats hadn't even sunk!

We found a spotless example of our vessel, but still had to do a lot of work to bring a 1986 boat up to 1998 standards, mainly electrical. Everything else was usable, but standing rigging, furler and lots of blocks and running rigging needed to be replaced in the first five years.

Your boat, your choice.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:30   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
And a FREE place to keep it while working on it.
YES!! Storage at even a cheap DIY boat yard will add up to $3,000-$4,000/year.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:38   #19
Eternal Member

There is some excellent advice in this thread, much of it by folks who have been there and done that. This might be summarized as falling somewhere between:

BE VERY CAUTIOUS and RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN

I fear, however, that if you haven't been there and/or are so young you cannot have acquired the relevant knowledge, experience, skills, and $$$ there could still be the temptation to go ahead because the boat is so cheap or can be had for free.

DON'T DO THIS!!

There are dozens, perhaps hundreds of boats out there which can be had for free but which you would be best advised to run away from as fast as you can.

Boat restoration can require 3X to 10X as much time, labor, $$$, and skills as most buyers are likely to possess.

This is not to say that all restoration projects are the same. Rather, that even those which appear to be small projects (a la Stu Jackson) are very likely to cost a lot more than you can now imagine.

FWIW,

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:51   #20

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
You can find a boat cheaper that has not sunk. By that I mean by the time you spend 3 years or more fixing that one, and $50000 or much more.... you could be sailing one that needs TLC but not sunk.
Like this one:

Whitby 42 Foot Ketch Hull 30 Built in 1972 Hand Laid Glass | eBay
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:54   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
There is some excellent advice in this thread, much of it by folks who have been there and done that. This might be summarized as falling somewhere between:

BE VERY CAUTIOUS and RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN

I fear, however, that if you haven't been there and/or are so young you cannot have acquired the relevant knowledge, experience, skills, and $$$ there could still be the temptation to go ahead because the boat is so cheap or can be had for free.

DON'T DO THIS!!

There are dozens, perhaps hundreds of boats out there which can be had for free but which you would be best advised to run away from as fast as you can.

Boat restoration can require 3X to 10X as much time, labor, $$$, and skills as most buyers are likely to possess.

This is not to say that all restoration projects are the same. Rather, that even those which appear to be small projects (a la Stu Jackson) are very likely to cost a lot more than you can now imagine.

FWIW,

Bill
I got my parents 48' flush deck motor yacht for nada. I was lucky after trucking it from NJ to SC and after stripping the diesels, gen and whatever that the old man that had the boat yard burnt it for me. You need to look at what makes sense. You may be getting a liability for nada?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 13:17   #22

You can buy any boat you want. Why would you choose one that is in terrible condition, and sank?

Price?

If you are willing to own an older boat, you should be able to get one "turnkey" ready to sail home, for the same price.

I say this from personal experience. I have bought and sold several sailboats very cheap, and turned down a few free ones. Very few people are willing to own an old sailboat. Whitby 42 is a great boat...will take you anywhere. Now just find one thats fully equipped and ready to sail away.

My advice...be very polite, but offer low...no one else is interested in buying a 40 year old sailboat built in Canada. Big supply, small demand, equals low price. FWIW, I just sold my 1974 Pearson. I got a fraction of what I thought it was "worth". I kept dropping the price till it was sold. Ouch. And it was loaded, loaded, loaded.

Look at this boat:

Listings at Harris & Ellis Yachts

Aksing price is $59k US ($79,200 CAN). Its stored at Iroquois...thats where people store their boats when they can no longer sail. I bet they would take $40k US...jump at it in fact. You could not rebuild your "sank" boat for that kind of money. And its ready to sail today...no 5 years of toil and sweat. Hell, if you buy it, I'll even help you sail it home.

Actually, that is a pretty sweet deal...maybe I should go look for me?
Old 07-11-2015, 14:01   #23

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Good thing you are only 22. I am too old to try anything that will take longer than my life expectancy.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 14:40   #24

What ever happened to Tommy, the original post-it?
T-Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 15:14   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Good thing you are only 22. I am too old to try anything that will take longer than my life expectancy.
I've watched several friends spend years rebuilding their boats. There is always more to be done. While they were sweating under their hulls and engines, I was out sailing my cheap boats and having fun. NeverMonday said "boatyards are toxic dumps where hope goes to die". I would never plan on spending a few years in the boatyard, or even my own backyard...too much sailing to be done.
Old 07-11-2015, 17:18   #26

Thank you all for your replies!

I was going to get the boat for free so yes that is the immediate temptation and I have a good experience working on boats but you all are so right. I bought a Columbia 32 that was turn key for 4,000 and put at least 2,000 into it before I left on my trip and possibly much more.

Thank you guys for waking me up to the harsh reality of a free boat. I am just so excited to get another boat and finding the exact model for free I was a bit forward, glad I have not gotten her already.

I am most likely not going to get her, I cannot Imagine working on her for that long and the sad part is that even if I did put much time and money into her I would probably have nothing better than the boat that could be attainable for 15k due to my budget and experience as well as my haste to get out sailing.

Thanks again for the advice and I am glad it was so one sided as now I do not feel as bad passing her by. It is so sad to see and I would really like to see a chart where it describes at exact what point there is a break even on buying a project boat and then after that where you are just going into the negatives. I believe this boat would be in the negatives

If anyone is interested in her she is in annapolis MD in the back of a yard.

Pls let me know and I will PM you the information

Thanks,
Tommy
tchiffriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 17:29   #27

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchiffriller View Post
Thank you all for your replies!

I was going to get the boat for free so yes that is the immediate temptation and I have a good experience working on boats but you all are so right. I bought a Columbia 32 that was turn key for 4,000 and put at least 2,000 into it before I left on my trip and possibly much more.

Thank you guys for waking me up to the harsh reality of a free boat. I am just so excited to get another boat and finding the exact model for free I was a bit forward, glad I have not gotten her already.

I am most likely not going to get her, I cannot Imagine working on her for that long and the sad part is that even if I did put much time and money into her I would probably have nothing better than the boat that could be attainable for 15k due to my budget and experience as well as my haste to get out sailing.

Thanks again for the advice and I am glad it was so one sided as now I do not feel as bad passing her by. It is so sad to see and I would really like to see a chart where it describes at exact what point there is a break even on buying a project boat and then after that where you are just going into the negatives. I believe this boat would be in the negatives

If anyone is interested in her she is in annapolis MD in the back of a yard.

Pls let me know and I will PM you the information

Thanks,
Tommy
Tommy, hi if you were going to get the boat for free then perhaps the value to you would be parting her out and scrapping the residual, and putting any money earned towards the purchase of a more appropriate boat.
Just a thought.
Cheers.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 18:05   #28

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchiffriller View Post
...I would really like to see a chart where it describes at exact what point there is a break even on buying a project boat and then after that where you are just going into the negatives...
You'll have to make that chart for yourself because everyone brings his own set of skills or lack thereof.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 18:11   #29

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

It is way to easy to get fooled by a very low initial price. There is much wisdom already shared in this thread. As one who is on their second refit and this one quite extensive I would say be very very cautious....
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 18:45   #30

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

best of luck to your refit, that boat sure has great potential!
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote