Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-11-2011, 22:48   #16
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Which Would You Prefer ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
they may make it to europe but no one is gonna be happy in any sense. and markj sailed a bendytoy around the world.......

who'd-a thunk it........

I know someone who really got tossed around in a 33' Cherubini just sailing from Tampa Bay to Key West. Water's not that deep; waves can really kick up. I suspect I know why he bought that boat; he's a live-aboard. I looked at the boat and struggled to walk away from it Very comfortable cabin, and it's easy to think that if you know how to sail, you can sail anything, but ...

each boat will have its strengths, and its weaknesses. I think all sailboats are floating compromises.

Old 25-11-2011, 23:48   #17

Boat: 32 Endeavour

Not dreaming, just shopping. As I have sailed neither of these vessels I was asking for opinions on their capabilities from maybe someone that has sailed them. What I am looking for in a boat is something that is comfortable to live aboard and cruise FL/ Carib and able to cross the atlantic safe nuf.

To continue on a past analogy, It appears that the seidelmann is more of a sports car and the Irwin more of ford taurus, and neither have the jeep like qualities, so to speak, required to do long ocean crossings. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I understand the.. "you could cross the atlantic in a 55 gallon drum, with the determination and the Gods blessings" and the "to each his own" and "you don't golf with one club" etc.

I think I have my answers on those two and appreciate the time everyone has taken replying to my post.

So what would one suggest is a good offshore make in the 32'-38' range, as Dhillen pointed out, it's best to take an offshore coastal rather than a coastal offshore.

I saw Zeehags older post in a different thread concerning her voayage , I think across the gulf, in a seidelmann. My take was she made it, it wasn't all that pleasent of a voyage, but I couldn't tell her level of sarcasm if any.

Old 26-11-2011, 08:50   #18

Boat: PETERSON 44
I'll guess at a price point of 30k. Mid draft fin keel? You might go kick the tires of a ericson a few peterson 33 there are some bene's out there in range. Some off name good boats that are not staple names.given the narrow terms. Your looking for coastal plus. So draft near 5 feet max sloop rigged. Living aboard you will want some beam. Older boats may work well. Depends on your skill level. Some reasonable older cheoy lee with good condition aluminum spars. The 40 had a kicking interior layout. Maybe see if some tartans like a 37 would suit you.
Old 26-11-2011, 09:00   #19
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Which Would You Prefer ?

Hey... you asked for an opinion on your choice...
You want a real boat...
http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/core/lis...g_id=23184&url=

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 09:36   #20

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61
Hey... you asked for an opinion on your choice...
You want a real boat...
http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/core/lis...g_id=23184&url=
Thumbs up
Old 26-11-2011, 10:27   #21

Boat: Morgan 382

Jacknast,

You are in a great position given the market to get a boat that will meet your needs. You need to take your time and do research before making a quick purchase. I spent two years and finally found the boat that I could afford that met my requirements.

Several suggestions:

1) Build yourself a spreadsheet and put your candidate boats side by side and compare all equipment (e.g. winches, engines, sails, berths, etc.). For example, I found a Tartan 37 that at first glance seemed perfect but once I decided I would need to upgrade all the wenches to self-tailing (that was a personal requirement of mine), it wasn't nearly the bargain I had first imagined. I spent alot of time developing my spreadsheet. If you email me I'll be glad to send it to you so you don't start from scratch.

2) Read and research - I recommend the book "Twenty Affordable Sailboats to Take You Anywhere" by Greg Nestor. You can get this off Amazon for less than $15. It is a fun read and will cover numerous boats that fit your needs. A good investment.

3) Of course, get a good survey once you get ready to make an offer.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 26-11-2011, 10:48   #22

Boat: CR 56 CC to be built 2014 2015
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknast View Post
The Sailing I am looking at doing would be coastal cruising FL, carribean, and crossing the atlantic

Which vessel do you think would be a better live aboard, passage making cruiser?

Seidelmann 37 or an Irwin 37. I have an opportunity to purchase either or neither.

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom and knowledge.

Jacknast
An ideal boat for both coastal and ocean use is the Hans Christian 33. The one drawback is the small cockpit for when at anchor but is ideal in a big sea.

1986 Hans Christian Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 15:45   #23

Boat: 32 Endeavour

Thank you all for your input.

I like the tartan's, ericson's and pearson's and will be looking at them.

1974 Ericson 35MkII sailboat for sale in Florida

1978 Tartan sailboat for sale in Florida

1977 Pearson 365 sailboat for sale in Florida

1975 36' Pearson Sloop sailboat for sale in Florida

The hans christian looks like a tough cookie, but I'm shallow and it's not "sexy" looking enough. lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: