Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2016, 08:53   #1

Which is the most seaworthy sailboat model you can think of?

Hello, I am sorry to maybe back to this topic again, but I would like to tackle this problem from a different angle. Is there any sailboat plan or already built that has been specifically designed to stand an hurricane situation? If not, on which sailboat would you prefer to be in the unfortunate case of being hit by an hurricane?

ps: I mean a sailboat that not only would survive, but that would be undamaged by an hurricane, something that even in an end of the world situation would survive.

Thanks
Pirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 08:57   #2

Re: Which is the most seaworthy sailboat model you can think of?

The sailboat you describe does not exist.

Look at a submarine. Once you're about 40ft down the storms won't bother you much.

Edit : that came across as snarky, I'm sorry. But hurricanes/typhoons/cyclones will move even modern skyscrapers.

In our era, we're fortunate to have great access to weather information. Large cyclones don't magically appear instantly, their seasons and likely movement are relatively well defined. A prudent sailor without a mission or job would not get caught by a major system unless they were seeking it out.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 09:05   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Lol. If it makes you feel any better the tower on a submarine is frequently referred to as the sail.
Old 28-08-2016, 09:11   #4

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Even huge ships can be and are wiped out by hurricanes. It's the little humans that make the things go that allow them to survive storms. Mostly by getting out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 09:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
The sailboat you describe does not exist.

Look at a submarine. Once you're about 40ft down the storms won't bother you much.

Edit : that came across as snarky, I'm sorry. But hurricanes/typhoons/cyclones will move even modern skyscrapers.

In our era, we're fortunate to have great access to weather information. Large cyclones don't magically appear instantly, their seasons and likely movement are relatively well defined. A prudent sailor without a mission or job would not get caught by a major system unless they were seeking it out.
I understand , ok at least I won't spend all day looking for something that does not exist :P.
Pirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 14:49   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There are however some designs and types that will handle worse weather than others.
A boat is a compromise, to gain this ability to handle worse weather than most, something is sacrificed.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 15:26   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=a64pilot;2199604]this ability to handle worse weather than most, something is sacrificed.

Like a Westsnail?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 15:34   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I'd look for a boat that is also comfortable being a submarine. I am not being a wiseacre... In that condition I am imagining, since I have not been in a hurricane yet, that I'd have a para-anchor out and a boat that can handle being washed over frequently, and is very good at righting itself when knocked down. So not a flat bottom, wide hull with a fin keel. Very stout construction so it can be thrown off a wave and not crack when it lands. Heavy, deep displacement for comfort. I'd also like a boat with a cockpit that when full of water does not let it drain down the companionway. And, believe it or not I am thinking low freeboard is preferable to give less surface for the seas to slam around. But I'll defer to all those who have ridden out a hurricane. How about a Rhodes 41 with no forward facing ports? It has a nice submarine torpedo shape. Mine does too, but I'd rather not take it in a hurricane. Might scratch the paint.
Adlard Coles' book "Heavy Weather Sailing" has discussion of this by Olin Stephens. By Stephens' metrics a hull and ballast like the Rhodes 41 fares pretty well.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 16:21   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

OK. Internal space competes with ultimate stability. Go back to the 1960s and there were 40' sloops out there that could and did do 360 degree rolls and survive. They met your submarine standard. I don't know whether current designs can do that. But, as a general statement, survivability is a design element, and all boats are compromises. As another example, the Flower class corvette of WWII, designed after whale catchers, would roll on wet grass, flooded in many seas, but they did not lose a single one to weather. It always came back up. The Coast Guard has patrol boats that can do rolls. But, are you willing to give up so much space and other design features to get that? No one is going to go into production with a boat that has the advertising point of "yes, but she'll take you through a hurricane." Now days, we have weather forecasting that lets us avoid those situations if we are prudent.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 16:31   #10

Well, hurricanes aside, the Rhodes is still a very sweet boat IMO. Not roomy, granted... lots of length for not much boat by modern metrics... but it's on my short list of possible "next boats" and not just for its sea-worthiness or beautiful lines.

BTW, there is a new edition of "Heavy Weather Sailing" out:
https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Weather...htther+sailing
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 28-08-2016, 16:38   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Olin Stephens, RIP, was a very wise man. I sailed in a Rhodes 41 and in at least one of Stephen's sloops as well as a teenager. Loved those designs for their seaworthiness, though not their speed. But, they were nowhere near as spacious as modern designs. They predate the light displacement hull. If you want to find them, just look for the sterns. Those overhanging narrow sterns took waves rather well, preventing your getting pooped. Yeah, six foot draft, 6,000 pounds of lead, narrow beam, 56' mast, very few ports and hatches, and you could go under in a broach and still come back up. But what do you think sells at the boat show?
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 16:59   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Which is the most seaworthy sailboat model you can think of?

In 2013.. 0r maybe it was 2014 2 boats set sail from the Caribe for the Azores.. one 35ft with 3 crew.. the other 70ft with 7 crew... both disappeared near the Azores without trace..
Pick yer coffin.. large or small..??

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 17:00   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Olin Stephens, RIP, was a very wise man. I sailed in a Rhodes 41 and in at least one of Stephen's sloops as well as a teenager. Loved those designs for their seaworthiness, though not their speed. But, they were nowhere near as spacious as modern designs. They predate the light displacement hull. If you want to find them, just look for the sterns. Those overhanging narrow sterns took waves rather well, preventing your getting pooped. Yeah, six foot draft, 6,000 pounds of lead, narrow beam, 56' mast, very few ports and hatches, and you could go under in a broach and still come back up. But what do you think sells at the boat show?
Yep... the bottom line. That boat built now would never sell... but then there are folks who see fit to refit them completely! I wonder why?
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=c007ac6e98
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=54dcd7dc0b
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 28-08-2016, 17:16   #14

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
No one is going to go into production with a boat that has the advertising point of "yes, but she'll take you through a hurricane." Now days, we have weather forecasting that lets us avoid those situations if we are prudent.
Exactly. Back in the day, when you went cross-country in your motorcar, you might have five spare tires strapped on to it (some people traveled with a mechanic). Are cars less safe now because they don't have room for five spares (my car has no spare)?

Things change. Build (or put up with) a '60s boat now, with all of its lack of creature comforts, because you might run into an unforecasted hurricane? Not me.

I wonder what percent of time the average cruiser is at sea. Is it even 5%? Why should the 5% control the 95%?
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 17:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
Exactly. Back in the day, when you went cross-country in your motorcar, you might have five spare tires strapped on to it (some people traveled with a mechanic). Are cars less safe now because they don't have room for five spares (my car has no spare)?

Things change. Build (or put up with) a '60s boat now, with all of its lack of creature comforts, because you might run into an unforecasted hurricane? Not me.

I wonder what percent of time the average cruiser is at sea. Is it even 5%? Why should the 5% control the 95%?
Oh I think it is safe to say the 95% has, and have, won out over the years. And I am not saying the 60s boats were built with hurricanes in mind, CCA rules more like it.... but if you sail one of the older classics you might come to love the creature comforts they offer on the outside, under sail, in sea-kindliness, not just sea-worthiness.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37

Tags
model, sail, sailboat, seaworthy